MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
makushr1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

Battery

I just bought a 2006 YZF 600r with close to 7k miles on it. When I was checking it out, we had the key in and the bike on (butnot running) for maybe 10 minutes. When we went to start it, it wouldnt start, batter as dead. We jumped it and everything worked out fine. My friend drove it home on Saturday (I dont know how to ride yet), and we practiced a bit in a parking lot, then parked it in my back yard.

I just went out to try and start it, and it turns on, but wont start. I assume it is the battery?

I guess my question is, about how long do batteries on bikes last? Should I just get another battery, or jump it again?
makushr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery tender, battery charger, trickler? arturo3rd General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 01-17-2015 01:58 PM
battery help kingworm General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 10-05-2014 10:22 AM
Battery Powered Battery Charger ... WTF?!?!? CubanGIXXER Off Topic 5 10-30-2008 09:15 AM
New battery 05cert How To's and Q & A's 4 03-28-2008 01:54 PM
Best brand of battery? Battery tender? Metzzen1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 01-17-2008 08:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
cajun315

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX10R
RM450Z

The life of a battery depends on its initial setup and usage. A battery that was setup properly should last more than two years if it is not left to sit for to long of a time without use. take it out and bring it to a trusted tech that has the proper diagnostic equipment and you should get a trusted answer about its health and state of charge.
cajun315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
makushr1

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

Thanks bro. I don't really have a 'trusted tech,' so I guess I'll just use autozone or something like that. The person before me didnt ride too much, so I guess I may just need to replace it. I'll go get it checked first... Time to figure out how to get the battery out! lol
Old 10-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
cajun315

Bike(s):
ZX10R
RM450Z

where do you live? maybe I can help
Old 10-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
makushr1

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

heights. no worries though, unless u live next door.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
cajun315

Bike(s):
ZX10R
RM450Z

nope Im in cypress and the shop I work at is in conroe.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Forgive me for saying this, but since you are a new rider are you sure you know how to start it?

Example... is the bike in neutral(green light on dash) clutch pulled in and, start button on run and starter button pressed? If no, the bike isnt even going to attempt to crank.

Second, if you are initiating the start sequence properly, the lights should dim or go out completely on the dash if the cold cranking amperage is too low to crank the starter over since the battery's power is drawn out of the remaining items it cannot sustain during that start sequence.

That being the case, and the fact the battery is already dead after sitting and a short ride, it will need a battery. Walmart offers several brands to fit motorcycles and offers a 2yr warranty. Remember these are liquid filled and often times YOU need to add the acid to the cells. Be careful and follow directions properly.

Allow the battery to sit w the plugs off of it so the acid/air can bubble out and not cause excessive pressure in the case. Usually on a new battery they do recommend charging it; but you'll find if you allow the acid to sit for about 20 minutes the state of charge will be around 75% at 12v; enough to start a bike and allow idle to charge the remainder of the battery. Keep the receipt somewhere safe and replace battery underwarranty as weather/LEDs etc requires.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

We're here to help. MSF, gear and patience goes a long way when learning. C'ya on the road
Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
makushr1

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

I'm 95% sureI did it right, lol. But yeah, the light dimmed while it was cranking, but wouldnt start.

I was just googling batteries, and I noticed alot of stuff about adding acid. Never heard of that before. Do all the batteries require this? Doesnt sound too hard, but I'd rather not have to mess with it if not need be.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
Pedro Navaja

Recharge the battery if you have a recharger. If you don't have one, get one, they are cheap and come in handy. I just used mine the other day on one of my older cars after leaving the lights on You can also pick up a cheap multi-meter to ensure you have enough voltage once you have recharged the battery.

You might also want to get a battery tender if you don't ride that much. Rig your bike so you have accessible pigtails to your battery for easy hook up to the tender when you are not riding. A well maintained battery can last for years on end.
Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
makushr1

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Allow the battery to sit w the plugs off of it so the acid/air can bubble out and not cause excessive pressure in the case. Usually on a new battery they do recommend charging it; but you'll find if you allow the acid to sit for about 20 minutes the state of charge will be around 75% at 12v; enough to start a bike and allow idle to charge the remainder of the battery. Keep the receipt somewhere safe and replace battery underwarranty as weather/LEDs etc requires.
How long would I need to idle it?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
makushr1

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

If I bring the battery into autozone/orileys, will they be able to tell me if it can be charged or if I just need a new battery?

I really want to make sure that it is up and running Sunday afternoon. I get done with my class that day, and I know I'm going to be itching to try my 'skills' on my bike. It's been sitting in my driveway laughing at me bc I dont know how to ride it. If I get out there Sunday and the battery is dead, I'M just gonna die, lol. That's the reason why I would almost rather get a new battery than try and recharge mine.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
makushr1

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
I'm sorry, but is MSF the motorcycle class all Texans are now required to take prior to receiving your M license? If yes, then no, I haven't. I'm signed up to take it this coming weekend, which is why I want my bike operational on Sunday.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
By running the bike home it was charging that day.

If you take it to autzone they will use a midtronics or likewise tester and likely it would fail since the charge level is low.

If you charge it, it may last for a bit but the surface charge would be whats keeping it going.

Without testing the battery and based on what you've already said, the fact that it wouldnt restart after it was running after having to be jumped, its likely going to need a battery. On a 100% 12.7v system, 12.25v would be 50% charge sustained on a battery; so if you're running lower voltages from a stressed or discharged battery the charging system and static charge is the only thing keeping the battery going. Cold weather will decrease the life of the battery and more then likely bring a push start in the near future. Better safe then sorry. Since it has ran w the battery in current state, your charging system is functioning properly.

My batteries in bikes last over a year on bikes larger then 1k; about 2 years on 600cc bikes. But I ride, abuse and run LEDs on mine. They dont sit in climate controlled garages w a tether.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

i'm in the Heights area if you ever need help with anything, feel free to hit me up.

the battery could be dead, you could have a load test from autozone and they can give you an idea of your battery condition, or use a multimeter to see what your voltage is.

look at the brand and model of your battery and stick with a similar battery model, you could always purchase a cheaper brand, but the size and the shape to fit in your bike is generally important.

also use a battery tender to keep your battery fully charged.

Last edited by hotnanas; 10-27-2009 at 10:32 AM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #16
makushr1

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

I think I'm just going to get a new battery. I bought the biked used (2006) and I doubt the guy ever replaced his. Might as well start new. I dont have a charger, so I'll have to pick one of those up too.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #17
makushr1

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

Alright, so I just went outside to try and star it up again. First attempt was a no go (all the lights light up). On the second, however, I got power and the bike started for just a second before dying. I tried one more time and it just made a weird noise. The lights arnt turning on (by lights, i mean on the dash, fuel, etc), and the horn slowly stopped working.

I assume that means it's the battery? I just want to make sure before I go buy another one. thanks.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by makushr1 View Post
I just bought a 2006 YZF 600r with close to 7k miles on it. When I was checking it out, we had the key in and the bike on (butnot running) for maybe 10 minutes. When we went to start it, it wouldnt start, batter as dead. We jumped it and everything worked out fine. My friend drove it home on Saturday (I dont know how to ride yet), and we practiced a bit in a parking lot, then parked it in my back yard.

I just went out to try and start it, and it turns on, but wont start. I assume it is the battery?

I guess my question is, about how long do batteries on bikes last? Should I just get another battery, or jump it again?
first: situation drained the battery if the headlights were on the whole time,

second: if u practiced like a noob does u were sittin there idle for pretty much the whole time playing with clutch control

in msf class (the one i took anyways) headlights were disconnected to keep batteries alive.

when my chick was practicing we drained that battery up within 15-20 mins of idle only

get a trickle charger, leave it on there and let it charge, i think u should be ok
mx6er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #19
Osiris102406
Osiris

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
05 CBR 600RR
99 GSXR 600
01 GSXR 750
01 CBR F4I
06 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Forgive me for saying this, but since you are a new rider are you sure you know how to start it?

Example... is the bike in neutral(green light on dash) clutch pulled in and, start button on run and starter button pressed? If no, the bike isnt even going to attempt to crank.

Second, if you are initiating the start sequence properly, the lights should dim or go out completely on the dash if the cold cranking amperage is too low to crank the starter over since the battery's power is drawn out of the remaining items it cannot sustain during that start sequence.

That being the case, and the fact the battery is already dead after sitting and a short ride, it will need a battery. Walmart offers several brands to fit motorcycles and offers a 2yr warranty. Remember these are liquid filled and often times YOU need to add the acid to the cells. Be careful and follow directions properly.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

We're here to help. MSF, gear and patience goes a long way when learning. C'ya on the road

16k + post , your like the energiser bunny of posts
Osiris102406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #20
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

take it to Auto Zone or Advance Auto parts and they will charge it for free then test it.

BTW - the battery in my FJR is five years old this month and has 66,000 miles of starting on it.

I am replacing it soon because it doesn't spin the bike over like it used to.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement