MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
mcd

Feedback Rating: (0)

CMRA question for 2010 season

I have been kicking around the idea of getting my CMRA license next year, and racing a few sprint races here and there. I would not be chasing a championship because my work schedule will not allow me to be at all of the rounds (and I am slow!). I would however like to make a few rounds of sprint racing, and possibly even an endurance race or two.

My question to all you CMRA racers is on my choice of bike. I have an RC51, which it looks like I can run in HWT, superstock A and superstock B. Is this correct? SSA and SSB look like they had good grids at TWS (Texas World Speedway), are these classes pretty good to go racing in? I have heard HWT is pretty stiff competition, true?

I really don't want to buy another bike for racing, but would I be better off looking for a cheap SV or 600? As long as I can be competitive on my RC51 in the classes mentioned above, that should be more than enough fun for me. I just want to try this racing thing out.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 CMRA Season Opener Dr. Gonzo Taking it to the Track 26 02-21-2012 11:37 PM
Thanks and Ready for the 2012 CMRA season! cdill35 Taking it to the Track 11 01-21-2012 01:00 PM
Cmra season opener @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) Romeo36 Taking it to the Track 22 01-08-2010 06:57 PM
2009 CMRA Season Thanks.... houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 26 10-21-2009 11:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Unfortunately though it is a great bike, it's not competitive. Not to mention, unless it's already race prepped, you'd spend a ton of money on a bike that may be hard to find replacement parts for when you crash or the bike breaks.

An SV is definitely a better bike to break in to the racing arena with by far. You can also race "up" to HW Twins and still be reasonably competitive with a lot of the novice field in that category.

With any SV, you can race 5 classes (to which it's suited), and that's about 1 more race per day than most folks race...
Old 10-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
mcd

Feedback Rating: (0)

I agree that if everything were equal, I would probably try to get on an SV. My slant is that my RC51 is already converted to a track bike, and safety wired legal for CMRA.

Parts would be a little harder to come by, but I don't think it would be a major obsticle. The big reason I would rather run my RC51 is that I would not have to pony up the $3500 - $6000 for a race prepped SV or 600. That extra money in my pocket can buy a fair amount of spares and replacement parts.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd View Post
I agree that if everything were equal, I would probably try to get on an SV. My slant is that my RC51 is already converted to a track bike, and safety wired legal for CMRA.

Parts would be a little harder to come by, but I don't think it would be a major obsticle. The big reason I would rather run my RC51 is that I would not have to pony up the $3500 - $6000 for a race prepped SV or 600. That extra money in my pocket can buy a fair amount of spares and replacement parts.
Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Personally, I'd sell the RC and get another bike, I've been there when it comes to a race bike that has parts that are hard to find (VFR). For a entry level racer, that's something that could kill your racing effort.