MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Irak 5-0: a weekend full of wins

So this weekend was everything I expected to be for my last TD of the 2009 season. Everything felt in place, TD 5 hours from home, new bike (WR250X) and some time off work.

On Friday morning I got to wake up a little late, have breakfast with the wife, pack my things (except the camera ) and load the bike. As I had the time I decided to take the long route to Cresson, just to look at what north Texas has to offer, boy I am glad I did. I started riding 290 to Texas 6, saw a couple of other riders in the road, everything was going fine until a guy in an SUV passed me by he had two bikes on the back. Well long story short one of the bikes felt down on the highway right in front of me, fortunately I was able to maneuver through all bike pieces, that was the first victory of the weekend. As the day went by, I went through CS, Waco and some other towns along the way. I arrived to Cresson after riding around 300 miles on the WR.

I arrived to the track around 5 pm and got to meet Jack the owner of MSR Cresson, pretty cool kat. We chatted for a few minutes and then he went on his way. When I arrived the place was empty, around 7 pm I got to meet Walter, a fellow rider from San Antonio, he is retired and still rocking his Gixxer 750, pretty great guy with great conversational skills. Night came and it was time to go to “bed”.

As the night went by the cold decided to make an appearance, at some point it got so bad that I had to sleep with all the clothes I took to Cresson including my leathers and helmet. I take that as victory number 2, I survived the friggin cold weather.

Saturday morning came along with a sore throat; I left the tent and WTF? when did all these people arrive? I washed my teeth and started greeting all the old faces and getting to know new ones. I registered myself for the TD and registered for the CMRA class. As the sun went up, the cold went away. I skipped the first session as I was listening to Gabe teaching us mortal people to become racers

Second session came and I did my first session, my initial thoughts were: Wow this 3.1 track is awesome!!!!!! Sharp curves, elevation changes, long circuit, the rattle snake is great. The day went by and I was able to keep the handle bars away from the ground (which was especially important this TD). Around fifth session I started to feel the 300 miles from the day before, the cold night and the few sessions of the day, so I skipped the last session of the day.

Finally the 5 minute call for the mock race, I put my gear on, the yellow shirt and head out to the grid. On the grid I see that everyone is riding sportbikes, I am on my WR and a 16 yo kid (who I am sure we will hear more of him in the future) rocking an NSR 80 with a 125 engine. Well, I don’t think I am able to keep with the big bikes so I’ll focus on racing the kid on the NSR. Suddenly I saw him: John showed at the grid on his WR450 and he was coming to kick my . Well it’s on like Donkey Kong John.

We took our places, the race started and wait, it is the first turn and I am in last place already? this can be right, I started pushing the WR and the little fugger keeps vibrating like . I am in full pursuit of everyone, suddenly I pass the little kid on the rattle snake just to get smoked in the “straight away”, again I am in last place, I keep pushing until I pass the little kid again, this time he was left behind, I was doing my race and WTH, is that John waiting for me? I’ll catch you this time for sure, John looks at me and starts going again, I am left behind once more Third lap comes and I am able to see one bike in front of me, I’ll do whatever it takes to catch that sucker, well I was not able. So I took the checker flag. Since I was “only” racing the little kid and my bars did not hit the ground, I felt the need to take a victory lap, I mean after all I did win (3rd) Suddenly I see Pam’s truck and she is giving me the “are you stupid look, you were supposed to be packing right now not taking an extra lap”, so I realize I wasn’t supposed to be there, anyway I completed my lap, greeted and thanked all corner works for the day and arrived to pits to see my good friends Candie and Bubby congratulating me as if I was Valentino Rossi (thank you guys I couldn’t have done it without you).

The day ended and everyone started packing, all people started saying goodbye and I decided I needed to change the plans, I wasn’t ready for another cold night in leathers so I disregarded my wife’s advise, packed and took off to Houston.

I wasn’t going to take the long route this time, so I decided to go through I-45. I started riding and quickly the night came but I was on I-45, going at good speeds and everything seemed fine until around 10 pm (about 180 miles from home) the guy in front of me ran over an animal (seemed like a raccoon) I almost ate it, another small victory (4th). After that I decided to spend the night in a hotel, checked in called my wife and slept like a baby.

Sunday morning, great comfy warm bed but now I have developed a cough. I am ready to ride again, fueled the bike and started riding, arrived at Houston around 11 am just in time to have brunch and still watch all races. I take that as the fifth victory, as I was blessed to ride around 1000 miles over the weekend and came home to my lovely wife and dog.

I am sure doing it again in the future, I might need to get a bigger bike though

Cliff notes:
*Pardon my poor English grammar.
*I got to meet: Falkryte, Navajib & Gabriel from MH and some other cool kats not on the board.
*I saw again friends like Dbuck, Mekrew, Bubby, Candie, TomLSTD, among others.
*Thanks to LSTD (especially Alberto and Pam) for putting a great event, Candie & Bubby for all the help you have given me since I started doing TD. Julie and Memo for offering to take my stuff back to Houston and everyone on the track for their camaraderie.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big M Weekend @ Miller Motorsports Park This Weekend! Whos Goin!? Snoogyns848 Taking it to the Track 4 05-24-2011 04:21 PM
MSRH last weekend, & GSS the weekend before RojerLockless Taking it to the Track 8 08-06-2010 08:54 PM
Inbox Almost Full Warning VS Inbox Full Message Pyrofallout Forum Updates & Feedback 19 09-11-2009 09:04 AM
Hey Irak Grinchy Taking it to the Track 28 05-05-2009 04:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

what woulda happened if between victory 2-3, you crashed and your bike was unable to ride home?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
maxgs

Member Garage

Nice write up, thank you.

You get the Iron award for the weekend. I can't believe you rode a 250 to Cresson and back, did the track day and got your racing license. Now that is HARD CORE!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Sounds like you had a good time.
Sweet!
Those are the kind of trips that you will remember for the rest of your life.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Cool story. Glad you made it back ok.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
Finally the 5 minute call for the mock race, I put my gear on, the yellow shirt and head out to the grid. On the grid I see that everyone is riding sportbikes, I am on my WR and a 16 yo kid (who I am sure we will hear more of him in the future) rocking an Ride Smart 125 with a CR 85 engine. Well, I don’t think I am able to keep with the big bikes so I’ll focus on racing the kid on the Ride Smart. Suddenly I saw him: John showed at the grid on his WR450 and he was coming to kick my . Well it’s on like Donkey Kong John.

We took our places, the race started and wait, it is the first turn and I am in last place already? this can be right, I started pushing the WR and the little fugger keeps vibrating like . I am in full pursuit of everyone, suddenly I pass the little kid on the rattle snake just to get smoked in the “straight away”, again I am in last place, I keep pushing until I pass the little kid again, this time he was left behind, I was doing my race and WTH, is that John waiting for me? I’ll catch you this time for sure, John looks at me and starts going again, I am left behind once more Third lap comes and I am able to see one bike in front of me, I’ll do whatever it takes to catch that sucker, well I was not able. So I took the checker flag. Since I was “only” racing the little kid and my bars did not hit the ground, I felt the need to take a victory
Sorry to rain on your parade but the bike was a Ride Smart 125 with a CR 85 motor in it. And he was having cab issues.

But he did give me a little run down the straight when I tried pass him.
It was nice to meet you out there.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Nice write up, thank you.

You get the Iron award for the weekend. I can't believe you rode a 250 to Cresson and back, did the track day and got your racing license. Now that is HARD CORE!
I agree, that is hard core! Good to see you again Irak and congrats on your new CMRA license.

I met a fellow Saturday morning (he arrived before us and was already sleeping in his tent)....no trailer in site, no truck...did this guy ride here? Yep.
Turned out he rode from College Station to Cresson, did the LSTD event, rode to ECR, did the Ride Smart event, and then road back to CS afterwards. I think that is borderline crazy!!!!!!!

Anyway, glad you overcame your victories Irak and look forward to seeing you at more td's next season and the forest here in the winter.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
As I had the time I decided to take the long route to Cresson
All routes to Cresson are long!

Good seeing you out there! Sorry you almost froze to death....should have got in the tent with Dbuck...he would have kept you warm!

And nice job on the victory lap! We were watching and was like...uh, where is he going!

Congrats on all your victories!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
ileono918
On hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
what woulda happened if between victory 2-3, you crashed and your bike was unable to ride home?
I would have asked some of the great folks at the track to give me a ride back home or I would have called my wife to pick me up. Don't give up on people man, life is pretty miserable if you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
You get the Iron award for the weekend.
Well, I can't sit right now so no iron for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Those are the kind of trips that you will remember for the rest of your life.
Yeah, I just wish I wouldn't have forgot the camera. Everything is better with pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Cool story. Glad you made it back ok.

Staton
Next time I am counting on you and Tom to make a 'tard trip to Eagles Canyon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade...
So I didn't win? no, I'll stick to my story thank you very much
Old 10-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
I would have asked some of the great folks at the track to give me a ride back home or I would have called my wife to pick me up. Don't give up on people man, life is pretty miserable if you do.
or you coulda taken care of yourself and not depended on anybody else by trailering your own bike.

overal a great story and sounds like fun.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:
or you coulda taken care of yourself and not depended on anybody else by trailering your own bike.

Dirt bikes crash well, just ask Navajib.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:

HE DID, he contacted a few of us FRIENDS and were there to lay a hand if needed since we new in advance what he was going to do

Nice to hear you had fun on the trip. Told ya cresson is sweet!!!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Nice write-up!

About John, that dude rides the hale out of that new 'tard, so don't be discouraged!

It was a fun day for sure, successful in so many ways and I'm glad we got to see you!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
ileono918
On hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
HE DID, he contacted a few of us FRIENDS and were there to lay a hand if needed since we new in advance what he was going to do

Nice to hear you had fun on the trip. Told ya cresson is sweet!!!!!
Exactly.

Great to see you there Alberto, I'll be happy to see ride with you in 2010. Now that we both are in 600 bikes we can for sure have some fun together.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Nice write up! That sounds like an awesome weekend. Shoulda bought a lotto ticket! Lol...
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #16
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Good seeing you out there Irak! And just think we will be picking on your victory lap this time next year. Kinda like we do with Bubby crashing on the parade lap!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #17
Navajib

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

I don't know how you did it on the 250. I rode to Dallas to and from on a Saturday and never again!

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Navajib

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
Dirt bikes crash well, just ask Navajib.
Fck yeah.

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #19
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

by chance did you go by comanche peak in glenrose? the nuclear plant?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #20
ileono918
On hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I met a fellow Saturday morning (he arrived before us and was already sleeping in his tent)....no trailer in site, no truck...did this guy ride here? Yep.
A great guy for sure, I can't remember his name but he is a computer system's professor at Texas A&M. I was unaware that he did Eagles Canyon as well. He mentioned it was his first riding trip since he highsided at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in July.

And for the winter riding, I'll put some knobies on the 'tard and we can for sure ride a couple of times at SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
About John, that dude rides the hale out of that new 'tard, so don't be discouraged!
Not at all, if anything I am encouraged to get to his level and overcome it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Shoulda bought a lotto ticket! Lol...
Darn it, I knew I was missing something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
And just think we will be picking on your victory lap this time next year.
Don't you mean our victory lap? Team Chasing Danger will get on the podium next year, mark my words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajib View Post
I don't know how you did it on the 250.
The ergos of the WR are way better than a sport bike, which is what I am used to. I just wish the bike had a little more grunt. I guess I'll just have to take it to Sunny to fix that.

Congrats on your first TD next one will feel way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
by chance did you go by comanche peak in glenrose? the nuclear plant?
Sorry no, I opted to arrive early to the track. But sometime in the future I will do it, I am already thinking of a spring trip to Colorado

Last edited by ileono918; 10-26-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Advertisement