MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #121
maxgs

Member Garage

That's right 11/14 & 11/15 is the hill country ride. Wonder how that's going to go with the recent Regulators experience. Ba ha ha ha ha.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Rides ddun General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-01-2011 08:03 PM
New group dedicated to twisty road group rides for beginner to intermediate riders djtrancendance Events, Meets and Rides 56 10-21-2009 03:52 PM
Do Any of You Pray Before Group Rides? DvlRacer Off Topic 40 01-26-2009 04:52 AM
Group forest rides... Hooligan Events, Meets and Rides 143 06-24-2008 09:16 PM
newb group rides rick Events, Meets and Rides 69 07-25-2007 08:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #122
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
That's right 11/14 & 11/15 is the hill country ride. Wonder how that's going to go with the recent Regulators experience. Ba ha ha ha ha.
Well..we will deal with it there. Hopefully there wont be! Kinda wondering if that will be the talk of the town since I think there is some big harley convention that weekend!

Wonder if anyone told those cruiser guys, to their face, 1/2 of what they said about them on here.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #123
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

I led a few people back from the noob ride and it's challenging to know how fast to go. I've been riding for a long time and am very comfortable with my bike, so what may seem slow to me in a turn may be fast for somebody else.

I think it's a problem in the noob ride when the fast people break out of the group or when faster people start passing in the group. I'm guessing the ego kicks in and makes people speed up. I wanted to pass some riders but I didn't. Instead I used the stops to move in front of people or when we were still in town I took advantage of the gaps or whatever...but not out in the twisties.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #124
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

don't forget cresson on the 7th or 8th
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #125
IndyRC
Mutant

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
[SIZE="5"]

We had a small ride this morning up to Livingston that couldn't have been better. Just five of us, ranging in experience from lifetime to six months. It was perfect, because those with experience were respectful enough to ride at a pace that was educational to our noob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNGRMOUSE View Post

we did a run there sunday and it was awesome.
Noob to forever in experience level - no drama, egos, cops or wrecks. We all stayed together and learned from one another. We did the fun parts twice. 6 hours of fun in the sun.
Oops, I know I broke out a little to have some fun because there were other well experienced riders in the group, but in retrospect I think I should have stayed with the group and kept my pace down. I sorry
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #126
DNGRMOUSE
Banned

Location: Noorf East side, Hillbilly , In the Dog house normally

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
'97 Honda VFR 750
'09 Buell Firebolt Xb12R
Fatboy
Tricycle
pocket rocket

User is banned

DNGRMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #127
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

I have been in a few group rides and this is what i have seen.

We lack organization. We lacked communication. We dont ask who is a noob on the bike or in the forest. Friends talk in groups while you can tell the noobs are by their bikes waiting. I have not seen sweepers or blockers assigned. I have seen experienced guys show up for noob rides to show off. Heck I felt that I was pushed at one time until I flagged him to pass so I can follow a good distance behind.

Noob rides should be ten over the limit on straight and curves except for 15 mph turns. Not go as fast as you can on straights and double on turns. That should be a ride for another day.

To me a failed noob ride is when a noob says to me when led out of the forest " Man I like they way you ride, steady and smooth, those guys were nuts". Of course this is done due to me knowing they are noobs. On my own I know my ride and I know my limits.

We fix communication and organization and the rest will fall into place.

Last edited by TeleRomeo; 10-26-2009 at 03:05 PM.
TeleRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #128
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

people were asked who had never ridden the forest. they all raised their hands. mudbug was their leaDER. he did the pre talk. if you followed me out i did'nt lead you. i did'nt do the pre talk. i rode ahead of the newb group. not to show off. i enjoy the comrodity. a lot of us are buddys no matter the pace. i did'nt wave anyone on with me. if i accelerate that is not your cue. ride your own ride was said before the ride. i came to ride with someone i enjoy riding with that i hadent ridden with in a while. what happened is max was going to lead a few of us and then he went straight at honea egypt. so i ended up in front. then after turning left at the end of honea egypt i pulled the group over on the side of the road to wait for the group. because thats what we have done in the past. then the guys who would pace ahead came along. i saw bugs group so i got on my bike and headed out front with bug back in front. i cought up with my group. anyone who came for the newb pace that wound up in a more spirited pace group, it's their fault. why chase me or anyone else? so the gsxr 1000 that crashed on 149, i had no idea he was there. who knew? freak deal really. last year cali would tell people we were 1 for 1. crash atleast 1 in the ride. some rides went off without a hitch. if anything the whole placement thing became an issue from the start. that many people. we were displaced by other traffic on the feeder leaving the meet point. it was pretty chaotic actually. there were many factors. maybe it was a full moon. idk
Old 10-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #129
Davekg
Honda Rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 CBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
that many people. we were displaced by other traffic on the feeder leaving the meet point. it was pretty chaotic actually. there were many factors. maybe it was a full moon. idk
that was my second group ride up there, it was kinda confusing I think in part due to the numbers and all, but, I knew who the leader of my group was and I followed him. yes, many factors, perfect storm maybe..

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #130
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

Ok, I will be sending everyone a calendar appointment to bring this up again 1 year from today!
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #131
Blackjack
7Fiddy Ryda

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750

I don't think publicized rides should be broken into groups by pace. Some people ride over their head to prove something. Also, publicized rides bring out a lot of new riders. Small group rides do better with only one or two new riders. Whenever I see cruisers on a big group ride, they stay in formation and ride close to the speed limit. They are riding for comradery and chill out at the destination. I think posted rides should be at a moderate pace and chill out for lunch. I think the spirited or "exploring bike performance" rides should be set up as separate rides. People used to post the ride as "spirited" or kept it private so new riders would think twice. Just my .02 cents.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #132
chase
LOCTITE

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Well..we will deal with it there. Hopefully there wont be! Kinda wondering if that will be the talk of the town since I think there is some big harley convention that weekend!

Wonder if anyone told those cruiser guys, to their face, 1/2 of what they said about them on here.
From what I saw, everyone was as respectful as possible considering how the cruiser people were talking to them. But then again, I left before it really got a chance to get ugly, so I dunno really.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #133
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I don't think publicized rides should be broken into groups by pace. Some people ride over their head to prove something. Also, publicized rides bring out a lot of new riders. Small group rides do better with only one or two new riders. Whenever I see cruisers on a big group ride, they stay in formation and ride close to the speed limit. They are riding for comradery and chill out at the destination. I think posted rides should be at a moderate pace and chill out for lunch. I think the spirited or "exploring bike performance" rides should be set up as separate rides. People used to post the ride as "spirited" or kept it private so new riders would think twice. Just my .02 cents.
Blackjack,
I remember the ride when we first met and worked together. Was that a noob ride or just a normal ride?

-Curt
Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #134
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Sounds like a Forest Gnome ride
Old 10-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #135
Blackjack
7Fiddy Ryda

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Blackjack,
I remember the ride when we first met and worked together. Was that a noob ride or just a normal ride?

-Curt
I think it was just called a forest ride. But, the format was like the current noob ride. I was riding at the back of the fast group. You gave me some good pointers that day.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #136
Blackjack
7Fiddy Ryda

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Sounds like a Forest Gnome ride
It was a ride you or Tiatool posted up back in 07 if I remember correctly.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #137
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Here's a Pre-ride check list that one of the guys I ride with always goes over in the riders meeting..

RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE
USE HAND SIGNALS
MARK ITEMS IN THE ROAD AND PASS IT BACK
IF YOU GET SCARED SLOW DOWN YOU ARE RIDING OVER YOUR HEAD AND MAY WRECK
IF SOMEONE IS CROWDING YOU FROM THE REAR MOTION THEM TO GET BACK OR IF IT IS CLEAR WAVE THEM ON TO PASS YOU
PAY ATTENTION TO DOUBLE YELLOW STRIPES, NO PASSING ZONE, BE CAREFUL
TWO SECOND OR MORE INTERVALS BETWEEN YOU AND THE RIDER AHEAD OF YOU
STAGGER RIDING ON STRAIGHTS
CAUTION ON BLIND HILLS AND BLIND CORNERS, RIDE WITH TWO FINGERS ON THE FRONT BRAKE
DO NOT PASS THE RIDER IN FRONT OF YOU IN HIS LANE. MOVE OVER TO THE OTHER LANE TO PASS
WE STOP AT INTERSECTIONS AND STOP SIGNS AND WAIT FOR ALL RIDERS
FILL UP WITH GAS BEFORE WE START
WATCH THE CORNER SPEED LIMIT SIGNS AND THE SHAPE OF THE CORNER ARROW ON THOSE SIGNS
USE LOWER GEARS IN CORNERS, 2ND OR 3RD NOT 4TH, 5TH OR 6TH GEAR IN CORNERS
USE YOUR BRAKES AND SO YOUR TAIL LIGHT SHOWS NOT YOUR ENGINE TO BRAKE AT THE END OF STRAIGHTS
USE THAT FRONT BRAKE, RELY ON IT
CHECK MIRRORS BEFORE PASSING ANY CAR OR BIKE.
STOP AT ALL STOP SIGNS, DO NOT ROLL THRU THEM.
WHEN TRAVELING AT LOW SPEEDS THROUGH SMALL TOWNS DO NOT REV YOUR ENGINE
IF YOU LEAVE THE RIDE LET THE SWEEPER KNOW
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #138
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Here's a Pre-ride check list that one of the guys I ride with always goes over in the riders meeting..

RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE
USE HAND SIGNALS
MARK ITEMS IN THE ROAD AND PASS IT BACK
IF YOU GET SCARED SLOW DOWN YOU ARE RIDING OVER YOUR HEAD AND MAY WRECK
IF SOMEONE IS CROWDING YOU FROM THE REAR MOTION THEM TO GET BACK OR IF IT IS CLEAR WAVE THEM ON TO PASS YOU
PAY ATTENTION TO DOUBLE YELLOW STRIPES, NO PASSING ZONE, BE CAREFUL
TWO SECOND OR MORE INTERVALS BETWEEN YOU AND THE RIDER AHEAD OF YOU
STAGGER RIDING ON STRAIGHTS
CAUTION ON BLIND HILLS AND BLIND CORNERS, RIDE WITH TWO FINGERS ON THE FRONT BRAKE
DO NOT PASS THE RIDER IN FRONT OF YOU IN HIS LANE. MOVE OVER TO THE OTHER LANE TO PASS
WE STOP AT INTERSECTIONS AND STOP SIGNS AND WAIT FOR ALL RIDERS
FILL UP WITH GAS BEFORE WE START
WATCH THE CORNER SPEED LIMIT SIGNS AND THE SHAPE OF THE CORNER ARROW ON THOSE SIGNS
USE LOWER GEARS IN CORNERS, 2ND OR 3RD NOT 4TH, 5TH OR 6TH GEAR IN CORNERS
USE YOUR BRAKES AND SO YOUR TAIL LIGHT SHOWS NOT YOUR ENGINE TO BRAKE AT THE END OF STRAIGHTS
USE THAT FRONT BRAKE, RELY ON IT
CHECK MIRRORS BEFORE PASSING ANY CAR OR BIKE.
STOP AT ALL STOP SIGNS, DO NOT ROLL THRU THEM.
WHEN TRAVELING AT LOW SPEEDS THROUGH SMALL TOWNS DO NOT REV YOUR ENGINE
IF YOU LEAVE THE RIDE LET THE SWEEPER KNOW
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #139
maxgs

Member Garage

This is the list I put together when leading rides about 18 months ago.

Group Ride Rules and Expectations

1. Each rider must have a helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. Knee protection is highly recommended and available at Motorcycles Unlimited for about $25. Riders without the appropriate gear will be asked to ride on their own.

2. Everybody must ride within their own limits. If you get scared, nervous, or anxious while riding, you are going too fast and you are a hazard to yourself as well as those around you. Slow down before you go down or hurt a fellow rider.

3. Group rides are not a motorcycle rider training tool. Each rider is personally responsible for their own actions.

4. Throughout the ride, there is no passing on the right nor is passing permitted in turns.

5. Riders will ride in staggered formation on highways & main streets and single file in the back country and around curves & bends.

6. In the backcountry as well as in curves and bends, riders will open gaps to at least 2 seconds to the motorcycle in front of them.

7. Running wide or out of your lane is a safety hazard for you and the riders around you. This is a clear indication that you are riding beyond your capabilities. Slow down before you go down or hurt a fellow rider.

8. Dragging pegs, exhaust, or any other portion of the bike is a safety issue for you and those around you. Don’t do it.

9. Every ride will have at least one designated leader and designated sweeper. Sweepers have the responsibility to ensure all riders stay together and remain accounted for throughout the ride.

10. Leaders will commonly display hand signals throughout the ride. They may include standard hand signals for left and right hand turns, per DOT regulations; a raised fist for "stop"; a hand extended down or patting down for "slow down"; tapping the top of your helmet for a police car sighting; and pointing with hand or foot at dangerous rode debris.

11. It is customary to repeat hand signals you see in order to pass information to the riders behind you.

12. Stunting and wheelies are prohibited on the group rides.

13. All rides will have a "no man left behind" policy, meaning the group will never leave a rider behind or stranded. The designated sweeper will confirm that all riders are accounted for with the leader at each stop.

14. Riders who are new to their bike, have less than 6 months sport bike riding experience, or are new to the route will be asked to ride together as the UAC (Up and Coming) group. The UAC group will be assigned an experienced leader and sweeper.

15. Riders will top off their gas tanks before kick-stands-up. The group will not stop for gas stations except for the designated rest stop areas.

16. Riders will check tire pressures and tire condition before they get to the meeting place. If you need tire pressure advice, ask beforehand.

17. It is not unusual for a large group ride to have at least one bike related incident. Ensure that incident does not involve you.

18. And, again, a reminder: everybody must ride within their own limits. If you get scared, nervous, or anxious while riding, you are going too fast and you are a hazard to yourself as well as those around you. Slow down before you go down or hurt a fellow rider.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #140
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Maxgs....good list. There is a saying.....locks keep an honest man honest. I bring that saying up because a lock isn't going to stop a thief. Just as a pre-ride check lists sure the heck won't keep a squid from being a squid. But they sure the heck do help in keeping a non-squid just that, a non-squid.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement