MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #41
3xv

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

"Me personally, I don't feel like a group ride is over until I know everyone is back home, safe and sound. I don't like the ones that lead everyone out to the country, then let everyone find their way back home... you?"

Amen
3xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Rides ddun General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-01-2011 08:03 PM
New group dedicated to twisty road group rides for beginner to intermediate riders djtrancendance Events, Meets and Rides 56 10-21-2009 03:52 PM
Do Any of You Pray Before Group Rides? DvlRacer Off Topic 40 01-26-2009 04:52 AM
Group forest rides... Hooligan Events, Meets and Rides 143 06-24-2008 09:16 PM
newb group rides rick Events, Meets and Rides 69 07-25-2007 08:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #42
txferrari
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

User is banned

txferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #43
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
For novice thats news to me. I was always told no passing in the mornings. With only one straight, maybe a short one in the back that kills the lap.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #44
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by txferrari View Post
Last ride I went on was a while back. Met at HOH and went wherever. Was supposed to be a mid paced ride. Before I knew it, I was lost.

I swore after that I'd never to a group ride no matter what the rules were before hand. Fact is, I think people once they get out there forget there are others with you and just focus on themselves.
Word to those that set up rides; If you are leading the group they need to be able to see you!

I went to one advertised noob ride with the wife; the group pulled out onto the highway and went 100. Not quite my definition..

Hardest part of leading a group is having the discipline to run the pace and speeds you commited to when setting it up. Hard to do sometimes but that's what you agreed to do when you set it up.

I spend more time looking in my mirrors when leading, making sure everyone is still there.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #45
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I see it that the odds are in favor of an accident in a group. Guys eat it everyday when riding solo. You group up noobs and it bound to happen.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #46
Hotwheelscamaro

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
10 HD Ultra Limited
Sold 01 ZX7
Sold 00 ZX7 Street Fighter
Sold 96 ZX6R
Sold 02 ZX6E

I think that in group rides people should know which is the lead bike. I saw who the lead person was, but when everybody jumps on their bike with gear, you kind of loose who is who. I like to ride near the back. When yesterdays ride started, I fell in line and they took off. One problem that I do not like is when they start cutting thru cars. That is fine and all, but make sure their is enough space for the entire group to pass. I was following a group and I started to feel uncomfortable with ther pace, so I pulled over to wait for a slower pace group. The last rider (sweeper) pulled over with me to make sure that I was ok, and that was great of him. When I looked back, their was no one else coming, so I continued with that group until the next stop. At the next stop, the slower pace group caught up and I saw which was the lead bike and started following that group for the rest of the day. On the ride home down 45, somehow I got lead, but I didn't make a lane change until I saw that all the bikes could make it clear. Every few minutes, I would check that all bikes were still their. I guess as a 18 wheeler driver when we run in a convoy we ride as a team. The 1st trk will put on their signal lights and the 2nd trk in line will start the lane switch 1st then the 1st trk moves over with him.
Hotwheelscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #47
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
For novice thats news to me. I was always told no passing in the mornings. With only one straight, maybe a short one in the back that kills the lap.
Passing in the straights from the get go. MSRH has 4 and TWS (Texas World Speedway) has 7 straights.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #48
chase
LOCTITE

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

It's hard for me to understand why these noobs feel the need to compete, or keep up, when there is a sweeper...and you know you aren't going to get left behind.

My very first forest ride was with Cali, Vmaxgirl, Brandon, Brooklyn Bullet, and some kid on a zx6r(who seemed to have a little of the ego situation but he kept it on 2 all day)

I went out there knowing I was slow, I sat back, took my time, and learned the ropes. Since then I've been out there countless times, my capabilities have increased dramatically from where they started, but there is still no ego, or a need to override my limit. I can hang with the fast guys, but I have never felt as if I had to. The forest/fayetteville/coldsprings/yada yada is NOT the place to learn or test your limits, trackdays are cheap compared to hospital bills, tickets, court costs, or whatever expenses occur.

But on the topic of noob rides, I think they should be ALOT smaller, and the ratio of experienced/noobs should be alot more balanced. The forest is popular, alot of people want to ride it, but I'm always amazed at how cocky some of these noobs are coming in, when different groups are made and first time riders are throwing themselves in the intermediate, or even the fast group.

No matter your skill level, those roads can easily hurt or kill you, the less experience you have in "oh sh*t moments" or aggressive riding in general, the risk of you falling goes higher and higher. Do yourself a favor, do some track days, learn how to ride before you try to prove to all of us that you can, offroading doesn't impress us, I promise.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #49
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
No matter your skill level, those roads can easily hurt or kill you, the less experience you have in "oh sh*t moments" or aggressive riding in general, the risk of you falling goes higher and higher. Do yourself a favor, do some track days, learn how to ride before you try to prove to all of us that you can, offroading doesn't impress us, I promise.
In almost every crash I have seen or been in, whether new or 20+ years experience.. when the dirt sampler is asked what happened, they invariably answer "I f'ked up, went out of my comfort zone/wasn't paying enough attention/curve came up quicker than I expected".

Which tells me they knew what they did after it happened, but forgot to think prior.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #50
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
It's not enforced. It takes a really rare individual to tell somebody to leave when they don't have the gear on. I've never seen it happen. Ever.
I see it once. Leader went to enforce and everyone else backed the leader. But you're so right, means absolutely nothing as a requirement if it's not enforced.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #51
Urban Ninja
Phuc Dat

Bike(s):
Yamaha FZR600

I only ride with my brother and our 2 friends. I wouldn't want to be in a group with more than 5 people.
Urban Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #52
Pedro Navaja

I've never done a group ride. Not sure I ever will.

Last edited by Pedro Navaja; 10-25-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #53
chadeaux
Chad-O

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
'09 V Star 950

Member Garage

A few of my thoughts:

- It all comes down to people riding above their heads. On my first group ride I was pushing harder that I normally would trying to keep up and ran wide on 3090. I got lucky because I had plenty of road and no one was coming in the opposite direction. Since then, I tend to use group rides to meet new people but mostly to learn new routes through backroads that I wouldn’t be able to find by myself.
- Maybe it would help on the large group rides if leaders were better identified, possibly with vests or bright armbands. On this most recent ride, a few new guys ended up with the faster guys because the groups and leaders were not well identified.
- The noobs need to understand that they will not be left behind and they do not need to keep with the person in front of them. The pace on most of the group rides I’ve been on was much faster than my pace with I first started riding the forest. Most new folks don’t understand that the fast guys have been riding these roads for years and know where every trouble spot is located.
- With all this said, it’s better to go down on a group ride with plenty of people to help. I have ridden the forest / 3090 about 30 times by myself and wondered “if I do down, how long would it be before someone actually passed by to help”.

Just my $.02
chadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #54
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

One problem I've noticed on "noob" rides is that the group is more than 5 or 6 people. When that happens, the leader can get out of sight and then you rely on another NOOB for the line on the curve you're about to take.

Because of the downed rider forest threads, I'm still hesistant to go on these forest rides. Sounds like more work in avoiding crashing yourself or into other riders, than fun.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #55
level5
moving chicane

Here's my .02 on this topic. One thing I learned leading or sweeping in group ride: speed. If you are leading a ride set a speed people can follow. The faster you go the higher chance you see someone will go down. After all it's a group ride. Ride the speed with the group if not ride alone. Set the rules for no wheelies, no passing, keep an eye on the man behind, and keep the pace at moderate or legal. With this you'll have more fun arriving and leaving as a group.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #56
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

#1 problem I see: if you're not a noob and don't want to ride at slower pace - DON'T COME ON THE NOOB RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
That's a little more difficult on a publicly advertised and promoted ride.
Touche'
Not everybody who shows up actually signs up- If you're too "cool" to sign up, then don't show up to ride; make your own ride with your friends. Especially if you're not a noob and don't want to slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Another thing to stress in the pre-ride

You are responsible for keeping good gaps to those in front. Like you say, if you are constantly running up someones , then go around.

Designated sweepers should never, ever pass anyone.
There was a buddy brought out yesterday who was (I thought) obviously inexperienced. He kept riding up on the forest noob in front of him and passing in his lane. Eventually, the noob let him pass and didn't get in front of him, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haileyan View Post
I have been on 2 MH rides both seemed organized and safety conscious. Here are the things that I think could have been better done yesterday:

* Make sure everyone understands the staggered formation before heading out.
* Make sure everyone knows to change to single file and add more cushion in the twisties before heading out.
* Make sure everyone knows the hand signals before heading out.
* When there became more than one group it was unclear to just about everyone who they should be following.
* On the way back there was no designated sweeper and some folks were left behind at the point we turned on to 3090. Fortunately they went straight and did not turn in 3090 so they beat all of us to Anderson.
+11ty billion- that's what I point out to every noob I personally invite or talk to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Word to those that set up rides; If you are leading the group they need to be able to see you!

I went to one advertised noob ride with the wife; the group pulled out onto the highway and went 100. Not quite my definition..

Hardest part of leading a group is having the discipline to run the pace and speeds you commited to when setting it up. Hard to do sometimes but that's what you agreed to do when you set it up.

I spend more time looking in my mirrors when leading, making sure everyone is still there.
I don't think a smaller ride would have made a differerence, if everybody riding adhered to these rules.

We had a small ride this morning up to Livingston that couldn't have been better. Just five of us, ranging in experience from lifetime to six months. It was perfect, because those with experience were respectful enough to ride at a pace that was educational to our noob.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #57
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
I've never done a group ride. Not sure I ever will.
That is a shame. I love group rides. It is the best way to meet folks that share my passion.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #58
chadeaux
Chad-O

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'09 V Star 950

Member Garage

I don't see anything wrong with experienced guys coming to noob rides as long as it is VERY obvious who the experienced guys are and everyone is aware that they are going to break off and do their own thing. The problem is when new guys try to keep up with the fast guys and they get in over their heads. Nothing wrong with the fast guys getting a head start and everyone meeting at yankees and having lunch together.
chadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #59
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeaux View Post
I don't see anything wrong with experienced guys coming to noob rides as long as it is VERY obvious who the experienced guys are and everyone is aware that they are going to break off and do their own thing. The problem is when new guys try to keep up with the fast guys and they get in over their heads. Nothing wrong with the fast guys getting a head start and everyone meeting at yankees and having lunch together.
Then that's the same thing as having your own ride. Why join a slow-paced noob ride knowing in advance that you're not going to ride with them?

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #60
DNGRMOUSE
Banned

Location: Noorf East side, Hillbilly , In the Dog house normally

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
'97 Honda VFR 750
'09 Buell Firebolt Xb12R
Fatboy