Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Racer, Rider, Shooter
Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

BMW Boxer Cup
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

2009 CMRA Year In Review (My Lame Attempt At Saying "Thank You")

Itís been a strange race season filled with good and not-so-good. I never gave much thought to where I'd be at the end of 2009, so, hey, whatever, it's been fun getting here.

At the start of the year, I evaluated the schedule and decided I'd try and put in a full season of Unlimited Motard racing. I also work for the CMRA, so my time to actually ride at the track is fairly limited, thus UM was a good fit since it is the first race of the day. I was hoping for a top three at the end of the season, but a championship was the ultimate goal. I started off the season fairly well and had the points lead in the UM class by the end of the third race at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

By early summer, gremlins - first personal, and then mechanical - started to make themselves known. In May I broke my right heel, but I continued to race anyway. Heels can sometimes take a long time to heal, though, and compounding the issue and slowing the healing process was the fact that I have to do a lot of walking at the track. In addition, my bike is kick start only, so that didn't help things; broken heels and kick starters don't mesh well together. While I was in the doctor's office getting the broken heel looked, the doctor diagnosed a heel spur, too. Nice. When it rains it pours. But I kept racing and had decent enough finishes to maintained the points lead. Racers race when broken.

By the end of July my foot was much better, but at the next race (Hallett, early August) I was in a little, uh, "explosion" after the Friday practice session. The explosion broke two bones in my right hand, broke my ring finger, split open my hand at the base of the thumb, (requiring 14 stitches to close it), and did a bit of tendon damage. After spending much of the night in Sapulpa's finest ER with some cool doctors, I was back at the track on Saturday and working. On Sunday my hand was nicely swollen and sore, but I decided I'd ride anyway. Holding on to the throttle with a big, fat, bleeding and bandaged hand can be a bit of a trick, but I sort of figured it out. All the while the guys were creeping up behind me in the points, though, and I left Hallett with company at the top of the UM class points.

At the following race (MSRC), it all came to a greasy halt. My bike suffered an oil leak which soaked the rear tire in the last practice session. I have no idea how I didn't crash. My bike was dead and I DNS the race, collecting exactly 0 points. I left Cresson, having fallen to fifth spot in the points. Although mathmatically possible, getting to the top again would be effectively impossible. My title run was over. When the dust had settled after TWS (Texas World Speedway), I was 5th overall in UM (and 5th overall in SM, a class I only raced part time). Irionically, and adding insult to injury (pardon the pun), the difference in points between first place and fifth place in the UM class is roughly the same amount of points I would have earned at the last Cresson if it weren't for the mechanical. Oh well.

This season was far from a wasted effort, though. At the first race of the season at Oak Hill, I was recruited to ride mini endurance on Team Sidewinder. The season did not get off to a good start and we spent the year catching back up against some killer competition. A big win in the 8 hour at Oak Hill in June put us into the overall points lead. After a fierce battle for the win at the last 5-hour race at Oak Hill, we settled for the second in the race but cemeted two championships - the CMRA F4 mini endurance championship and the CMRA overall mini endurance championship. I just found out yesterday that our team won the Super 80 championship with TMGP, too, based on the points accumulated at the CMRA/TMGP crossover events. So that's three titles in 2009. Cool.

Thank yous? Man, more than I can list here. Here's a few, and, if I left you out, please kick me in the crotch for being a dolt. Most of these guys are my fellow racers, my partners in criminal activities, and my bench racing budies: Keith Hertell, Nick Montanaro, Jess Foltz, Chuckster Ergle, David Harmier, Kerry Rea, Tyler and Ashley McDonald, Harry and Garret Tomlinson, Alan Phillips, Ryan Rutowski, David and Jon Broom, Barry Nichols, Walter Walker, my buddies and fellow staffers with the CMRA, Derek Patman, Derek Thomas, Steve Guynes, Greg Wanless, Mark Neimi, Dean Dufrene, Lee Henry, Bob Kane, Roger Albert, Gabe McClendon, Alonzo Contreras, and Tony Ta. Special thanks to The Mad Welder, those two young hotties in Oklahoma that showed me their hoo-has and diddlers in exchange for my last (warm) beer, those two cool ER doctors in Sapulpa who took me seriously when I said I was gonna cut my cast off, Dr. Scott Hung, who stands by with cortisone like Dr. Costa and then goes to the gun range with me to target shoot, SCRC and John Hutchinson, Bridgestone Tires, VP Fuel, Cycle Gear and KTM World. I pray to the Lord above before every race to watch over me and my fellow racers, and I couldn't continue to waste money on this stuff after 22 years without Dina, Raynie and Sammi.

I'm not sure what I'm doing in 2010, but I'm reasonably sure it involves racing motorcycles.
Supplying avatars to MH track guys since 2008.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote