Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

GP shifting the Honda

I saw several threads about the pro's and con's of GP shifting but I didn't see any with directions. I have been going back and forth about whether or not I want to do this. After practicing my shifting Fri. I have decided to try it. Anyone have quick directions on how to do it on an 07 Honda RR? Thanks!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
quick shifter up shifting and down shifting? ShadowHHR1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 11-09-2011 06:50 PM
Moto GP Rider for Honda killed. 5.56Gixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 10-23-2011 07:47 AM
Freddie Spencer's '85 Honda NSR500 GP bike Grinchy Taking it to the Track 7 09-24-2009 09:40 AM
gp shifting? boner12 How To's and Q & A's 9 04-25-2009 09:52 PM
Moto GP Shifting vs. Street Bike Shifting AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 11-27-2008 10:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
mcd

Feedback Rating: (0)

Stock or aftermarket rearsets?

Do the 07's still have the vertical shift linkage running from the gear box to the shift lever? If so, I think you have to have a lever where you can mount the shift linkage on the other side of the pivot. That is how the aftermarket rearsets work if I am not mistaken.

Not sure if there is a cheaper way (probably is, I am just not aware of it). Maybe post a picture of your linkage.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

I have vortex rear sets! Give me a minute and I will go and take a pic of the linkage!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Here are the pics

GP shifting the Honda
GP shifting the Honda
GP shifting the Honda
Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

Take your black shift rod and bolt it to the bottom of the black bracket that bolts to your motor.
I shift normal and it works fine it all the CMRA tracks. Why do I still shift normal? When I got to the track I wanted to put my focus on riding....not relearing how to shift.
-Gabe
LSTD / South Central Race Center / Pirelli / Racepak Supersprox / Raceworx / One Second Faster / Leo Vince / Motorcycles Unlimited / Ebc brakes/ Motul / Pipercross / Jones Powersports / Kawasaki Team Green / LP/ GoPro / Texas Speed and Performance / GP tech / Powerstands
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
mcd

Feedback Rating: (0)

Yep, just like Gabe mentioned. Move the black shift rod to the underside of the black bracket and you are set.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Take your black shift rod and bolt it to the bottom of the black bracket that bolts to your motor.
I shift normal and it works fine it all the CMRA tracks. Why do I still shift normal? When I got to the track I wanted to put my focus on riding....not relearing how to shift.
-Gabe
Thanks Gabe! I decided to do it over the off season so I will have time to get used to it. Only reason I am gonna try it is because I have such small feet that it is hard for me to upshift. For example: Coming onto the front straight at TWS (Texas World Speedway) I have to sit up and so I can adjust my for to get it under the shift lever. I lose lots of time in doing that. I can stay tucked and downshift just fine. I thought about it and most of the time I am downshifting I am somewhat siting upright so I should be able to get my foot under the shift lever. It may help, it may not but thought it would be worth a try!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Candie I will take pics of mine tonight and get with you tomorrow. Basically like all others have said you just flip the knuckle around 180 degrees
Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
Candie I will take pics of mine tonight and get with you tomorrow. Basically like all others have said you just flip the knuckle around 180 degrees
You don't need to do that with those rearsets. Gabe gave you the answer, your rearsets are designed to run both, follow gabe's directions and you will be good. One thing though, you may have to remove your kick stand unless you have plenty of room, i can't determine that very well from the pictures.

I tried both, i am used to both now but i like standard shift better, why? Because for me is more critical to correctly downshift that upshift, i want to downshift faster to be ready for the turn so it is easier for me to kick down and slide the boot back than shift up and then slide the boot. I know GP shift can be faster cause you are kicking it when speeding but i am not that fast to notice that, i prefer to be comfortable wth what i've done for the past years.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
maxgs

Member Garage

Hey Candie, what I found with GP Shift is it helped me on some tracks and was a bit of a PITA on others. It all comes down to your body position when you need to shift. At TWS (Texas World Speedway), for example, I have to downshift while leaned over in Turn 1. That's better for normal style shifting. Everywhere else, GP has been fine.

You are describing the need to adjust the rear sets better for your feet. You might consider keeping an eye out on WERA for Sato rear sets. I was looking at the Sato's on Ty's KTM on Sunday. There is a huge amount of adjustment capability in comparison to the Vortex you and I both use. I want to be able to more the shift lever closer to my foot... can't do that with the Vortex.

-Curt
Old 10-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
I did it with mine and it was squished into the hoses.
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Well mechanically i cant help u out there...

but i love love love gp shift (never thought id say that either)
Old 10-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Hey Candie, what I found with GP Shift is it helped me on some tracks and was a bit of a PITA on others. It all comes down to your body position when you need to shift. At TWS (Texas World Speedway), for example, I have to downshift while leaned over in Turn 1. That's better for normal style shifting. Everywhere else, GP has been fine.

You are describing the need to adjust the rear sets better for your feet. You might consider keeping an eye out on WERA for Sato rear sets. I was looking at the Sato's on Ty's KTM on Sunday. There is a huge amount of adjustment capability in comparison to the Vortex you and I both use. I want to be able to more the shift lever closer to my foot... can't do that with the Vortex.

-Curt
+1, that is why i do my shifting before getting there if running a GP shift, i tried GP shift once and shifted during my lean, well i am here to say i visited the ditch and the fence, plus some mud
Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
chase
LOCTITE

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I did it with mine and it was squished into the hoses.
when you convert it with stock rearsets, you have to move hoses, ditch the front sprocket cover, and move the idle adjuster wheel. Otherwise you have lots of rubbing that will eventually turn into lots of leakage.

I dunno why Honda didn't think of GP shift when building the bike, most bikes is just turning the knuckle around, on the new suzuki's you have to pull out the shift lever mount and move everything back so it doesn't rub on the case cover.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #16
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
+1, that is why i do my shifting before getting there if running a GP shift, i tried GP shift once and shifted during my lean, well i am here to say i visited the ditch and the fence, plus some mud
I'm in fifth on the front straight and need to get to second by turn two. I can't make all those shifts on the straight without being even more dog slow than I am already. I have no choice but to shift leaned over.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #17
chase
LOCTITE

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
wonder if it will help make you faster than you were on Friday's trackday. Hey try it and see if that Honda will actually move for once, maybe that has been the problem all along
Didn't you have a huge sob session about you leaving this site?

what gives?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

I have no problem with shifting(plenty of other problems I'm sure) so I am happy with standard shift. I'm like Gabe...I have other things to focus on other that worrying about relearning how to shift, but she has issues with her tiny feet...so we'll give it a try. I"ll get it done so she can experiment some at Cresson. Thanks guys for the info
Old 10-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
wonder if it will help make you faster than you were on Friday's trackday. Hey try it and see if that Honda will actually move for once, maybe that has been the problem all along

HaHa! Funny man Jet. Nope that was the problem Friday. But being forced to go so slow gave me plenty of time to practice my shifting. I am a womens size 6 in my Astars boots. That is tiny compared to my rear sets. I barely have my back heel on the ped when I try to upshift. I have to totally reposition my foot to get it under the shift lever in doing so I have to completely shift forward to be able to reach. ( I know that is a hard concept for some of you guys to grasp with your size 12 foot.:keke) I talked to a couple people and they said gp shift seems to be easier for tiny feet.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
chase
LOCTITE

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

hmmm, find somebody that works at a machine shop and get a custom shift lever made, just shorter.

Advertisement