MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Wildlife Day = Behind The Scenes At The CMRA Races At TWS (Texas World Speedway)

With about 40 minutes to go in Saturday's endurance race, a call from the corner workers in T8 came in over the radio saying there was a big snake trying to cross the track. The corner workers were concerned for the safety of the riders and, to a slightly lesser degree, the snake. Barry Nichols was tied up, but I was free, so I rode out there on the Ruckus to see what all the, er ruckus was about. When I got there, the three corner workers pointed out a big rat snake, probably about 6 feet in length, hiding in the grass. He had been very adamant about crossing the track. He would hide in the grass in the shallow ditch at the edge of the track, poking his head up once in a while to have a look around, and then, when he thought the coast was clear, he'd slither onto the track surface. Motorcycles, though, were seldom more than a few seconds apart, so when a bike would steam up hill to T8, the snake would sense it and would quickly turn around and slither back into the grass. Many times the snake tried, but was denied. I feared that on one of his attempts, he'd get too far into the track to turn around safely. If that happened, it could be a problem for the riders, too, if he turned into a pile of goo in the already tricky corner.

So I headed the snake off with a broom and got him back into the tires. He was none to happy with that, and would stick his head out once in a while to let me know he was still planning on heading to the other side of the track. I would walk towards him when he did this and scare him back into the tires. Eventually the race was done and the snake lived to slither across the track.

685800072 Y6pZT XL

On the way back to the pits after the race was over, I was taking a few pix at the top of NASCAR T4 when I heard a call on the radio: "Can someone come down to T8A and get this snake out of the track?" I thought, "No! That can't be my snake! The race was over!" I headed over there on the Ruckus and found a rattlesnake, about a 4-1/2 footer, in his death throes. His diamond-shaped head was flatter thanks to some race bike's tire. (Ottis Lance told me later that he ran him over about two laps from the end of the race. I can't confirm this, but it's plausible.) No other marks on him. After he was done squirming, I put him on the floorboard of the Ruckus and rode him back to the pits. Lots of people wanted to see him, of course. In the end, he was dressed out by Trista Peters, and skin went to Reid (Britt's boyfriend) whose dad makes belts and hat bands and such from them. I kept the rattle. Trista told me she was going to pan fry him on Sunday, but I never got a piece.

A smushed red-eared slider in T1, a deer running loose near T10, and a couple of snakes trying to get from point A to point B via T8 and T8A all in the same race. Man, we're just an antelope, scorpion, sceloporus, tarantula away from a drive through wildlife park!
685800031 2NHWS XL

(Note Autumn Walker squeezing me after someone scared her while she was looking at the snake up close.)
685800027 4aujc XL