MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Pedro Norte does Mex Trek 2009

I'm posting in my ride report from last week's Mex Trek. This is a loosely organized event, $35 to go, which cost me about $250 in total (gas, hotel, food, beer, etc...) to attend. Anyone who likes to ride, dirt or street, will have the time of their lives riding in this part of Mexico. Ride however you want, whatever you want, there is a road or trail here to suit your tastes.

Peter
aka Pedro from the Norte in Mexico
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIP Pedro... cedestech General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 06-27-2012 10:50 PM
Mex Trek Helmet Video - Edited Mr.P General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 06-01-2010 09:06 PM
Mex Trek 2010... Mr.P General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 05-31-2010 10:01 PM
Mex-Trek 2009 Oct 14 - 18th Mr.P General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-02-2010 05:37 PM
Little Pedro ScooterTrash Off Topic 3 05-16-2006 11:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Pedro Norte: Day 0. Monday

First, let me say thanks to Richard and all involved in planning this event. I had the time of my life. We all did. Incredible. Awesome. Amazing. WOW.

Back up a year…..I’ve been looking forward to this trip for a year. Driving back from my brother’s wedding in Guanajuato I spied the mountains east and south of our return route from Saltillo to Monterrey and wondered how nice it must be to ride up there. When I got back I read up on Mex Trek, which I had totally missed until after it went down. I told my wife that I was going in 2009. Period end.

Incredibly everything lined up in the months and weeks leading up to the ride. In spite a nagging piston knock that got progressively worse leading up to the departure date, I managed to get most of my work commitments knocked out and the bike more or less ready to go. Preparations included tax title and license for my race only DRZ 400 SM. I bought an XR400 within 2 hours of reading the 2008 ride report. Procrastination and title issues forced me to leave the perfectly set up and over farkled XR in the garage. There’s always next year. I took my DRZ400SM instead. It proved a worthy steed.

For those unfamiliar, the DRZ SM is a street bike. 5 speeds, 15/41 gearing, 100 MPH top end, with 17 inch excel wheels front and rear. Here is a stock photo.

2006 DR Z400SM yell sne 800

So I hoped to get some meatier tires mounted up and have something more like this:

l 7fb7365cfd31bfc07a59fe91236994f5

But time pressures led me to Monday morning, street tires still in place, 24 hours before departure. Ya see, my wife was the lucky winner of a contest to represent Gallery Furniture as a Customer Buyer at the largest national furniture show. Wednesday to Tuesday….just while I was to be in Mexico. She found out just before the weekend when Mack called her up, so my time was spent rearranging kid’s schedules, arguing, pleading, arranging childcare, listening, interjecting, negotiating, pleading, hugging….all the necessary support tasks so Nancy would be able to take her all expense paid trip while I took mine. So come Monday morning 9am…and the bike was still rolling on the same 17’s I used at Texas World Speedway at the last trackday, resigned to riding class 1’s and concrete. I figured I’d spend the week exploring class 1’s and doing some canyon carving. Luckily Wayland was kind enough to offer a ride to Galeana from McAllen so my gun case turned top case would suffice for the ride and I could just pack a suitcase, or two.

9 AM Monday my friend Miranda came to the rescue, following up on my PM with a set of tires she had just removed from her daily commuter WR250SM. Used only once for a day of mudding, the tires would mount up on the 17’s and give me some serious grip offroad. Pirelli MT 21’s, both rear tires, 120 / 17 in front and a 140 / 17 in the rear gave the bike a look of a TW200 on steroids. It also made the front end handle really goofy, but somehow you compensate. I picked the tires up late Monday and gave the bike and tires to a friend who is a mechanic at Katy Yamaha. I slept very little, worrying about all the untied details, and packing until 2 in the morning.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Pedro Norte: Day 1. Tuesday

Jeremy got in to work early Tuesday and had the bike ready to go at 11 AM, tuned up, lubed up, and ready to clatter. The resulting monster truck meets tractor meets motorcycle raised a few eyebrows and if there were 47 guys on the trip, I happily explained it 47 times. Supermotards weren’t meant for dirt, so we improvise.

Mextrek2009046

Texted Solorider at noon, “on my to pick up bike, should be ready to depart Sugar Land at 1:00”. He made his way over with his Alaskan proven KLR and we loaded up the DRZ, did a few last minute bike repairs, hit the Buccees on Crabb River Road for gas and drinks and hit the road.

Mextrek2009001

The trip down was without incident. Saw some random guy on a loaded down Buell on 59 then again closer to McAllen. He gave us the thumbs up, and passed us at 80. Yelled at him out the window at the gas station, “Mex Trek?”. He gave me the thumbs up again. When you are as cool as Ed, words aren’t really necessary. Checked in the 6 and had dinner with some of the guys at Shoneys. Did the border and paperwork deal with only a few snafus. My credit card didn’t process so I was $300 lighter in the wallet. Hit the exchange bank for some Peros. Unloaded the bikes, met a bunch more of the guys, and kept my new friend and roommate for the trip Tom (Centextom) up late. I could tell this was going to be a fun trip. 50 like minded friends riding in the mountains. Sounds perfect.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 10-19-2009, 01:39 AM   #5
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 10-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 10-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #7
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 10-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 10-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 10-19-2009, 01:44 AM   #10
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Too tired to write up the return trip...off to bed.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
cj_sandman
custom user title!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600 F4i
'99 FXST

Awesome pics!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #12
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

My grandfather was raised in Rayones. My 2 oldest aunts were born there. We've made trips to these town numerous times when I was a kid. I remember alot of walking, old rickety buses, small local vans or dusty pick-up trucks giving us rides to and from.

This is the Mexico I had experienced as a child many many years ago, but had sadly forgotten. Thanks for the pics, they brought back some old forgotten memories.

That was an awesome ride you guys had. I hope someday in the future to do the same.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #13
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Hey Peter, next time you know something like this is coming let me know. I'd love to tag along.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Holy cow.. just started reading this.. Will finish it when I get to work.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #15
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Wow! That looks like so much fun. Thanks for sharing.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Just read all this instead of studying for my test here in a little bit. Great writeup and pics!! I've gotta get me a dual sport! Thank you for sharing
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #17
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
Hey Peter, next time you know something like this is coming let me know. I'd love to tag along.
2nd that. My DRZ wants to get out and see some action. I need to pay attention to twtex more often. Good Ride Report.

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

I've ridden my KLR in Galeana and all around there twice and I was so bummed that MexTrek fell through for me this year. My 2 friends with KLR's backed out and it wasn't in the cards for me.

Nice, you did the DSDD (Dual Sport Double Dragon) your first day! We did that last year and decided to turn around in Rayones and loop back to Galeana at 5PM on our last trip and a huge storm rolled in halfway through on the scariest stretch. We twisted the throttles and got back in about an hour.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Are you guys doing this again? I would totally be down with doing this. I grew up in Mexico and spent a lot of time in areas like those pictures there where the only way from some towns to others was by horse back or dirt bike.

Still remember those over night horseback treks to take family members supplies.

Being fluent in Spanish and having grown up there and understanding the culture, this would be right up my alley.
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #20
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Are you guys doing this again? I would totally be down with doing this. I grew up in Mexico and spent a lot of time in areas like those pictures there where the only way from some towns to others was by horse back or dirt bike.

Still remember those over night horseback treks to take family members supplies.

Being fluent in Spanish and having grown up there and understanding the culture, this would be right up my alley.
This is one of Richard's annual informal events. They do a Big Bend in the spring, a Junction run over labor day, and MexTrek in October. I'll post it up on MH again next year, like I did this year.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107073

Advertisement