MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Removing the thermostat

let's have another go at this

who believes you should remove the thermostat in a track/race prepared bike to make the most of the cooling capability???

I remember Radar posted a very knowledgable piece on cavitation as a result of a lack of back pressure due to the removal of such but from what I'm still hearing and seeing this isn't stopping teams/riders from doing it!!

where do you stand on this??
I'm for it.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing Decals - Does anyone have... EquinsuOcha General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 11-03-2013 10:58 PM
Removing stator j_e_hurst How To's and Q & A's 4 08-25-2012 09:00 PM
removing baffle FastLife1K General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-29-2009 10:27 PM
thermostat ON1WHEEL How To's and Q & A's 5 01-10-2009 11:20 PM
Removing Forks BigComfy How To's and Q & A's 16 08-20-2008 08:27 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Old 10-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

In the old days of liquid cooling it was beneficial as thermal dynamics were secondary to cosmetics in motorcycle engine cooling. There wasn't a lot of thought that went into those cooling systems, so sometimes the thermostat was an impedance.

Nowadays it depends on the bike, but in my experience it offers no gains and can cause the aforementioned cavitation issues.
There's also the possibility that the water moves too quickly through the radiator and does not have enough time to shed all of it's heat.

There's still a lot of old school racers that do it, but as I stated, I've seen more problems caused by it's removal than cured by it.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
jdh82831

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 ZX10R

I disagree. The cooling process begins in the radiator. The inclusion of the termostat allows the system to hold the coolant in the radiator giving it opportunity to disappate the heat it has collected on its pass through the engine. Without a thermostat the coolant continues to circlulate through the engine uncontrolled and never stays in the radiator long enough to loose the heat that has built up. Yes on a track bike the vehicles movement is constant and heat doesn't build up like on a street bike at a stop light, but as we all know cool is better. Wouldn't you want to give your bike every chance you could for it to make as much power as possible.

Just my $.02
jdh82831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Remove the spring and middle parts and leave the outside and you solve both problems at once. The outside part is all the restriction you need.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh82831 View Post
I disagree. The cooling process begins in the radiator. The inclusion of the termostat allows the system to hold the coolant in the radiator giving it opportunity to disappate the heat it has collected on its pass through the engine. Without a thermostat the coolant continues to circlulate through the engine uncontrolled and never stays in the radiator long enough to loose the heat that has built up. Yes on a track bike the vehicles movement is constant and heat doesn't build up like on a street bike at a stop light, but as we all know cool is better. Wouldn't you want to give your bike every chance you could for it to make as much power as possible.
Cool is not always better.
You are also incorrect on which is cooler. Unrestricted flow/no thermostat will cool the engine more than restricted (cavitation excluded). If the water is hotter and moving faster (more turbulence) through the radiator it will shed more energy (heat) from the system per unit time. Any energy that is dissipated by the radiator is waste heat. Waste; as in not contributing to going fast. Water staying in the radiator longer is not required for per unit time dissipation of system heat; you are simply thinking localized energy states.
Removing the thermostat was a trick we would use on an old car that was overheating. The compromise was a reduction in fuel efficiency, warm up time, heater not warming for longer (a problem in Michigan), and an imperceptible loss of power.
I do not recommend removing the thermostat as people are doing a really good job on engineering these things. I didn't know about the cavitation, but it does make sense.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh82831 View Post

Just my $.02
the opening and closing of the thermostat is governed by the temperature on the water jacket side and is not dictated to by flow rate in the rad

Consider this:
Honda Racing Parts- Ten Kate http://www.tenkateracingproducts.com...ing.php?id=156
Suzuki GSXR Racing Parts- Yoshimura http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/t-kit_engineparts.aspx
Yamaha Racing parts - YEC http://www.yamaha-racingparts.com/

From my quick look over, I can find no sign of a replacement/high flow thermostat which further leads me to believe that they are removed

a typical thermostat below:
Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
In the old days of liquid cooling it was beneficial as thermal dynamics were secondary to cosmetics in motorcycle engine cooling. There wasn't a lot of thought that went into those cooling systems, so sometimes the thermostat was an impedance.

Nowadays it depends on the bike, but in my experience it offers no gains and can cause the aforementioned cavitation issues.
There's also the possibility that the water moves too quickly through the radiator and does not have enough time to shed all of it's heat.

There's still a lot of old school racers that do it, but as I stated, I've seen more problems caused by it's removal than cured by it.
maybe then it's something passed down that many adhere to without full consideration
Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Remove the spring and middle parts and leave the outside and you solve both problems at once. The outside part is all the restriction you need.
you can see some mileage in that too
Old 10-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

I was thinking about installing a different thermotat on my bike that would keep the bike 10 degrees cooler which I thought would equate to more HP. Someone who knows alot more than I do stated unless I was just looking to blow money it was not worth the gain.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
I was thinking about installing a different thermotat on my bike that would keep the bike 10 degrees cooler which I thought would equate to more HP. Someone who knows alot more than I do stated unless I was just looking to blow money it was not worth the gain.
all engines have an optimum running temperature,
the closer you are to that the better,
if this can be done with a cheap thermostat change then i'm not sure how this could be seen as blowing your money although i would take it out completely
Old 10-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
I once stuck a motor in my 750 endurance bike and for some reason the longer the race wen the hotter the bike would run. It would eventually over heat. So I finally got sick of adding water to the ****in bike. So I tore apart the cooling system. It turns out that the thermostat had been rigged to stay open allowing constant flow. So i put another thermostat in that worked and had no more problems. So to answer everyones question about this

Don't remove the FUKING thermostAt!!!!!! If u do and have a problem with over heating I'm gonna call you a dumbass for not listening
Old 10-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
rc51eviltwin

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post

Don't remove the FUKING thermostAt!!!!!! If u do and have a problem with over heating I'm gonna call you a dumbass for not listening
^^^LOL
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

yet there are factory "sprint" teams that do, go figure

and semi-factory
Old 10-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
yet there are factory "sprint" teams that do, go figure

and semi-factory
Key word sprint. And just an FYI most factory and serious privateer racers have bigger radiators than us normal riders and racers. So I will stand behind what I said in my last post
Old 10-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
Key word sprint. And just an FYI most factory and serious privateer racers have bigger radiators than us normal riders and racers. So I will stand behind what I said in my last post
we ran Pace rads eventually,
http://www.paceproducts.co.uk/public...orcycle/yamaha
with a high pressure cap!!

and NO thermostat
Old 10-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #17
ChrisGo

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

I use to think that it would decrease the efficiency of the radiator because of the increased velocity. I now believe that it would be a case by case basis upon each model. You would have to decided if flow is turbulent, the coolant temp in and out, boundary layer theory, etc, etc. It would take some experimenting to decide.

Any easy solution is to ask, why would a company's engineers waste money designing the thermostat if it wasn't needed? IC engines have a specific optimum operating temperature which the thermostat may help reach and maintain.
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #18
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

If u remove the thermostat u hav to install a restrictor plate that flows just the right amount of water for proper cooling.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #19
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Grinchy,
We've got a saying here in the States:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

As myself and several other experienced racers have posted, removing the thermostat more often than not causes issues.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #20
ChrisGo

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whoopie View Post
If u remove the thermostat u hav to install a restrictor plate that flows just the right amount of water for proper cooling.
This fixes the flow rate problem but not the efficient temperature problem. I think that a lot of people believe that a cooler engine performs better which is not true.
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement