MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Is it ok to use Red RTV instead of gasket?

I got a new stator cover for my bike (since I currently have WaterWeld sealing the pinhole leak on the stock one), but I also had to order a new gasket....son of a is on back order and won't be in until next week sometime. Can I just use Red (hi temp) or Blue RTV instead of a gasket? Should I let the RTV get a little solid before mounting it up?

Any comments are appreciated....except the smartass ones.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gasket leak? poranksta How To's and Q & A's 5 05-27-2015 07:10 PM
gasket help tony66 How To's and Q & A's 7 02-13-2014 09:58 PM
Help! Need a head gasket Chris_5.0 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 03-06-2013 12:33 PM
ATV/RTV Rental? DvlRacer Off Topic 1 08-21-2010 01:12 PM
Gasket Maker? dbuck How To's and Q & A's 16 12-18-2008 12:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge
'06 HD StreetRod VRSCR

Member Garage

Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

thanks....

here's a response I got from a cool racer guy on here too....

Quote:
If I were you, while waiting for a factory gasket, I would simply cut a gasket out of gasket material that can be found at almost any auto parts store. Don't get the cork stuff, get the composition stuff. Lay your stator cover on the gasket stuff and trace the outline. Estimate the width by using the width of the cover. Cut holes by using a hole punch. Cut the whole gasket out with an Xacto knife. Easy. You can also use construction paper for a gasket, but real gasket material is better. Using this stuff is a permanant fix.

But, if you're absolutely dead set on using that gasket goo, get the real Perma-Tex liquid gasket and follow the directions. The red stuff will probably work for a while if you are careful, though. Very thin bead of it, let it get a little tacky, and install the cover. Let it dry thoroughly before use.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I used the black on my stator cover and never had an issue with it. It didn't use a gasket to start with frm the factory. Another option would be to pick up some yamabond.

Just let it cure for 24 hours before putting any oil back into the bike.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
maxgs

Member Garage

Good info.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

in my automotive field we like to use grey/black. red is at the bottom of my list. i have never used red. copper, grey/black are the only ones i use. i've used grey/ black to seal up my fuel pump. holds up great

and for the DIY gasket idea let me make it better by adding: put oil on finger and spread a decent amount on the whole stator cover (like when u r bout to install a new oil filter) do that to the stator cover in motor oil or trans oil etc...

and then lay it down on the gasket material and press down for about 10-15 seconds. doing this will make an almost perfect "copy" imprint onto the gasket to which you can cut out.(instead of "guessing" like stated above" i recommend scissors; better ablility to control. and for the holes. use either a hole puncher or a socket that matches the hole. lay gasket on wood, and hammer to make hole.

and to seal the deal spread silicone of your choice on BOTH front/back sides of gasket and install, let dry over nite.

also if still weary take more silicone and spread with your fingers AROUND the cover at the edge of mating surface.

this will work with badass results and cost is cheap

oh and also make sure the mating surfaces are clean with NO BLEMISHES. a friend of mine went through 2 OEM new HD stator/clutch cover to find that the surface had a hairlline gouge in it which caused the leak

hope it helps
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
If you find the material for the gasket make your own. That brings some memories back from when i used to leave in mexico. I never bought a gasket, i always made my own.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

I used Yamabond on my stator cover. No issues here.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997
If I were you, while waiting for a factory gasket, I would simply cut a gasket out of gasket material that can be found at almost any auto parts store. Don't get the cork stuff, get the composition stuff. Lay your stator cover on the gasket stuff and trace the outline. Estimate the width by using the width of the cover. Cut holes by using a hole punch. Cut the whole gasket out with an Xacto knife. Easy. You can also use construction paper for a gasket, but real gasket material is better. Using this stuff is a permanant fix.

But, if you're absolutely dead set on using that gasket goo, get the real Perma-Tex liquid gasket and follow the directions. The red stuff will probably work for a while if you are careful, though. Very thin bead of it, let it get a little tacky, and install the cover. Let it dry thoroughly before use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
in my automotive field we like to use grey/black. red is at the bottom of my list. i have never used red. copper, grey/black are the only ones i use. i've used grey/ black to seal up my fuel pump. holds up great

and for the DIY gasket idea let me make it better by adding: put oil on finger and spread a decent amount on the whole stator cover (like when u r bout to install a new oil filter) do that to the stator cover in motor oil or trans oil etc...

and then lay it down on the gasket material and press down for about 10-15 seconds. doing this will make an almost perfect "copy" imprint onto the gasket to which you can cut out.(instead of "guessing" like stated above" i recommend scissors; better ablility to control. and for the holes. use either a hole puncher or a socket that matches the hole. lay gasket on wood, and hammer to make hole.

and to seal the deal spread silicone of your choice on BOTH front/back sides of gasket and install, let dry over nite.

also if still weary take more silicone and spread with your fingers AROUND the cover at the edge of mating surface.

this will work with badass results and cost is cheap

oh and also make sure the mating surfaces are clean with NO BLEMISHES. a friend of mine went through 2 OEM new HD stator/clutch cover to find that the surface had a hairlline gouge in it which caused the leak

hope it helps
Absolutely brilliant. Thanks to Linz and Mx6er for the idea and the tips. I will never wait for a gasket on back order again. Now, off to change the oil and to make sure she isn't leaking.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
Falkryte
SBN Vag Inspector

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
ninja 650r
ttr 125
crf50
tarded450

This thread is full of win!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkryte View Post
This thread is full of win!
Yes it is! No leaks, ran around the neighborhood squid style and she's dry as.......well, you get my drift. Thanks again gents!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Like mx6er said I use grey or black, never use red or blue its junk, and making gaskets are fair U can also lay the cover down and tap around it with small hammer and that will cu the edges, but quite a bit of work a thin layer of grey, or yamabond, hondabond, etc is usually good, hows the truck and thanks for the stand delivery, have fun and be carefull at the track
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Yes it is! No leaks, ran around the neighborhood squid style and she's as dry as a hooker in the rain. Thanks again gents!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #14
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
Like mx6er said I use grey or black, never use red or blue its junk, and making gaskets are fair U can also lay the cover down and tap around it with small hammer and that will cu the edges, but quite a bit of work a thin layer of grey, or yamabond, hondabond, etc is usually good, hows the truck and thanks for the stand delivery, have fun and be carefull at the track
truck is good so far...no check engine light on the dash.

and you're welcome, it was the least I could do. See ya Sunday.

Advertisement