MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #41
G-Man
AKA RC4G

Feedback Rating: (0)

Forgot to mention 2 spark plugs per "cylinder":
1987 NR750 pistons
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aprilia RSV4 carbon RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 07-25-2012 12:39 PM
APRILIA RSV4 Review ormand General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 05-25-2010 10:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #42
maxgs

Member Garage

That is wild. So there were eight pistons?

-Curt
Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #43
G-Man
AKA RC4G

Technically only 4 pistons since that two round pistons were "joined" to create an single oval piston.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #44
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
here's a little better picture that explains it all.

800pxovalpistonyi6
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #45
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Man you really like to argue. I'd want the RSV4-R to be much lighter than the liter bikes coming from the big three.

zx-10 is 458 lbs (kawasaki.com)
gsxr-1000 is 448 curb weight (suzuki.com)
cbr-1000 is 438 curb weight (honda.com)

At 460, it's obviously NOT.
but its only 12 lbs. We're talking a 3% difference.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #46
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
but its only 12 lbs. We're talking a 3% difference.
I said I'd expect it to be much LIGHTER. It's 3% HEAVIER.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #47
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I said I'd expect it to be much LIGHTER. It's 3% HEAVIER.
Why would you expect it to be lighter?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #48
chase
LOCTITE

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

he expects it to be lighter bc its supposed to be an almost out of the box racebike

but it isnt lighter, so theres no point in you two arguing about it

Think I'd rather have the BMW
Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #49
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
here's a little better picture that explains it all.

800pxovalpistonyi6
Now that's ****ing wicked! Is there any reliability history on such a design?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #50
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

another review...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=190255

cliffnotes on 'cassette gearbox' pls....

Last edited by SBK Pilot; 10-14-2009 at 03:29 PM.
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #51
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
Think I'd rather have the BMW
post specs or link pls... curt has us spoiled...
Old 10-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #52
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
Now that's ****ing wicked! Is there any reliability history on such a design?
They say the biggest challenge was piston rings
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #53
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
They say the biggest challenge was piston rings
and buyers
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #54
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post
another review...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=190255

cliffnotes on 'cassette gearbox' pls....

From said Aprilia forum. What a great review.

The long awaited Aprilia RSV4, what can I say? The bike has gotten accolades in the press, from the lucky guys and girls who have already had the honor of adding one to their personal garage and from about every other person worldwide who has test ridden the bike. After waiting what seems like an eternity I finally got my chance on Saturday the 11th of October at the annual Piaggio Group dealer meeting.
The AF1 crew and I got there early because we figured that Aprilia would only have a demo bike or two maybe and the riding rotation would be on the tight schedule. Early was a good plan indeed and Aprilia made possible something I never expected too. As I walked through the parking lot after parking the rental heap I spotted an RSV4r (base model, not even released in public yet?) being off loaded from the demo truck, my pace quickened only saddled by the military heavy Kata photo bag on my back. The key was in the ignition, I was surprised to say the least.

Ride time began about three hours after we arrived and we got to test three variants of the RSV4 including the base R model on the streets and highways surrounding the Carlsbad California launch location. In reality between two Factories and one Base model I was really able to test 5 variants in an afternoon since both of the dead stock bikes had tri-map enabled. The non stock bike was an RSV4 Factory with every currently available accessory from the Aprilia OEM catalog with the exception of race plastic. This one had the Akropovic full exhaust system as well as the Aprilia/Akro developed “race” mapping to suit the pipe, this mapping only allows one of the three modes in tri-map and that is the “T” or Track mode.

My first session was spent aboard the stock RSV4 Factory and of course both of the interesting modes were tested as well as a stupid brief test of the puss mode, called “R” or rain. Perhaps in hurricane conditions this might be useful, otherwise I am at a loss for its usefulness? I have always just used more cautious throttle application and lower speeds to deal with rain, having electronics manage my inputs still feels odd to me both in cars and on bikes but alas, it is apparently the way forward in all things that burn fuel and make things roll. Sport mode or “S” is actually the mode I would probably spend 90% of my riding time in on the street, this mode feels to my old hands more like well tuned CV carburetors where Track Mode “T” feels more like the rare times I have ridden multi cylinder bikes with perfectly tuned flatslide carbs. If you have ever experienced this then you can appreciate the analogy for sure. Basically the above just means that each mode makes a definite difference in how the motor responds to throttle inputs and in a way how the chassis responds to the same. This of course brings us to the motor, and nothing from Noale I have ever ridden even compares to the experience of twisting the RSV4’s mean stick.

at the RSV4 engine “pulls” does not do it justice. In Track Mode even, power is somewhat limited in 1st and 2nd gear, possibly a little in 3rd too, maybe even in 4th to a very small intervention threshold. This is accomplished via a Suzuki style timing in the lower gears. This said, nothing prepared me for the sheer violence of the acceleration in the lower gears, and the RSV4 is geared for the moon. 1st gear probably runs out to about 85-90 mph (real mph, not like a Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki speedo). I say probably because neither Jon, Ed nor I could run the bike to the rev limiter in 1st gear, even at half throttle the acceleration becomes so violent in the last 5k rpm that the front wheel climbs RAPIDLY for the sky, even going downhill, pretty much sitting on the tank, in race crouch…insane. There were several times where I tried to run the bike out in first but this was definitely wheelie limited, so when the front wheel exceeded about 18 inches of air between the freeway onramp and the bottom of the tire I would quickly shift to second, the height of the front wheel did not vary at all until about 10k rpm was crossed and then it was climbing rapidly again, short shift to third, briefly it screeches down like the a plane tire touching runway and then, back up again with only slightly less aggression in the upper revs even though speeds were now in excess of 130mph. “**** me”, that was the thought running through my head. Once slowed back down on the highway to California cruising speeds of 80 mph or so I shifted each bike up to top cog to see what daily life would be like with the new Italian beast. Running down the highway in 6th gear turning only 5k or less rpm the engine responded smartly with a sound much like a muffled version of the early Suzuki GSVR Moto GP 990cc bikes as they cruised pit lane.

Normal, street riding in please do not arrest me mode was probably one of the most pleasant surprises of all. The sound is ****ing great, the engine making noises so unique and distinct from the intake air and the exhaust flow that the aural assault alone seems worth the price of admission. The firing interval is about as even as possible considering the 65 degree V angle but still offbeat enough to be reminiscent of when Honda actually built cool homologation specials, like the RC45. The RC45 is actually about the only bike I have ever ridden that sounds as crisp and interesting, big difference though, out of the crate the RC45 was the sexiest pig I had ever seen at that time in my life but was so disappointing to ride, the RSV4 is on the completely opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to performance. I promise you that not even Hondas HRC Factory RC45’s EVER made the kind of power that an off the shelf RSV4 does. The new RSV4 is more streetable with the same comfort as the current generation Aprilia RSVR when ridden normally, once you tell the ecu to allow for power it delivers in a way that almost feels turbocharged in the last 3-4k revs. Just to be 100% fair I lugged it down to 1800 indicated rpm in top gear and in a couple of other gears and did roll ons to calibrate my dyno, it pulls seamlessly, with some shake through the engine at super low revs, some feeling of vibration up till about 5k rpm, almost V-twin like in that sense.

Last edited by maxgs; 10-14-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #55
maxgs

Member Garage

Chasis is as amazing as the engine in both the base model and the up rated model. Obviously the $5k more dear Factory is sharper, firmer and more precise in terms of chassis due to the Ohlins magic applied (full SBK spec fork valving as delivered, verified by Amuari) at both ends and lighter wheels, there may be some very small changes to geometry as well, I say this based solely on how the bike felt to me and I am far from an expert chassis tester. Confidence, this is the word I would use, absolute confidence. I have only ridden one or two other bikes in my life with this level of confidence in the chassis, confidence that allows your brain after a only a few miles to come to the conclusion that lean angle approaches infinite, trail braking is possible to well past normal thresholds and composure at even the worst times is beyond reproach. Setting down multiple crossed up wheelies failed to even make it twitch in a way that scared me, try that on an SXV, or a GSXR for that matter. Another chassis factor that amazed me, even though it should not have been an issue, was the feel of the rear brake. I am a rear braker on the street and as a huge compliment to Suzuki this time; it feels almost identical to the GSXR (09) I rode last week. It seems Noale has finally gotten the message about crappy rear brake feel and power. I am more than impressed with the strides made here, even though like said before, this is how all their bikes should have been for the last decade at least. Front brakes are far more powerful than average riders need, single finger braking on the street with awesome initial bite and control are also now a reality in a V4 package. I have always liked the front brakes on the 2004 and newer RSVR’s, with a much better chassis to stop it ups it a notch for sure! Some testers commented that the front brake initial bite may even be a little too much, optional pads can tune this to your liking, stock for once is perfect for me!

Engine running temps at speed are in the 182-190F range, fans turn on at 100-102C (212-215F) and are capable of bringing down engine temp even while playing with the throttle blipping it at every light. The highest temp I personally saw when trying to make it over heat basically was 226F. Massive radiators and what sound like miniature turbines do the job of cooling the 65 degree V4 VERY well. Full disclosure, 88f was highest ambient temp during my abuse sessions. Even in Texas I do not see the cooling system being an issue, I personally will probably go a little lower on the thermostat opening temp just to reduce heating of my body during summer rides here in the Lone Star State.

Rotax/Aprilia transmissions have always lacked what I think of as a refined feel. The RSV4 is a game changer in this department too. Contrary to early reports out of the EU and beta test markets none among us had any complaints about the transmission. It honestly is as transparent on the V4 as on premium Japanese bike. I shift bikes all day long on the dyno and during demo and test rides, VERY few compare to the new RSV4. Up or down in the box, it matters not, the shifts are Swiss watch perfect every time. I have not really used the clutch for up shifting in about 2 decades but this new Aprilia is one a very select few bikes where the option for seamless downshifting without the clutch is a real possibility. I am thinking that for our RSV4 Factory demo/R&D bike adding a quickshifter will be absolute perfection. The slipper clutch is one of the best I have ever sampled and I have tried almost all of the aftermarket options, for grins at about 70 mph I dropped from top cog to bottom cog and let the clutch fly, no drama, the chassis and motor just quickly settled and were ready for mind altering business.

I could go on and on, the night grows long and I tired however. The only way to really feel this potential, to feel this bike and know what it means to be on a top tier sportbike is to ride it, and ride it hard. The 1000cc class (1200 twins included in this) is deep with talented machinery from Europe and Asia. As it sits tonight in my mind, the 1098/1198 and the RSV4 are the top of the heap. Yamaha’s new R1 is unique and all but does not come close to the new Aprilia, Suzuki’s GSXR is everywhere, the Honda and Kawasaki are fugly. Only the 1098/1198 and the RSV4 stand out in my mind as being far removed from the rest in terms of exclusivity, handling, power and style. The best part as a dealer for Aprilia is that this new bike is a “no excuses” machine, no longer is it required to explain to every interested shopper in your store that, “yes, a GSXR or YZFSBRXZ 1000 is faster in a straight line but you learn to use the chassis to make it up in the corners”. No more excuses, yes, it is priced dearly but, it delivers a ride that honestly has only a peer or two in any class!

On to side notes, the one RSV4 Factory that was equipped with the Akro full system and race map was noticeably faster in the lower gears, the mapping probably responsible for much of this. Response of the engine to throttle inputs was met by the rider with more aggression from the engine room downstairs. In a wide open throttle dyno pull (Dynojet, Fuchs, Superflow…etc, sweep test style) I doubt there is more than 6-10 bhp gained in the upper reaches of the rev range it is below wide open where huge gains are felt. With the Akro mapping there is no longer feedback from the oxygen sensor and the result is even smoother throttle transitions with an entirely new level of anger and violence from the motor. It will be quite interesting to get our demo on the dyno, of course it will be fully equipped with the full system from Akro and also tested with the available slip on pipes. What I want to see is that if my dyno is as well calibrated as my Factory Pro dyno. Testing a bike like this on the street is almost impossible even under great conditions. I want to measure power at a variety of throttle settings with various combinations of mapping and exhausts to verify what my dyno is telling me. No question about it though, the Akro sounds perfect, not muted but not obnoxious, classic Akro design, perfection without the drama of making noise for noise sake and not for the sake of actually making more power. Even Rossi rides with a silencer, albeit and abbreviated one. Like I said, we will have a demo fully optioned for testing, a R&D mule and if the stars line up perfectly a track bike too. The “mule” of course will be my play thing, and it will this spring hopefully break 200mph in a one mile land speed race here in Texas. Honestly not many mods will be required for even my fat to finally get that 200 mph timing slip I have always wanted.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #56
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):

hmm.... so... technically what class would it run in?... hwt?

seems like it's closer to that in design...

maybe... ?...
Old 10-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #57
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
SBK
Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #58
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post
hmm.... so... technically what class would it run in?... hwt?

seems like it's closer to that in design...

maybe... ?...

A superbike?

CMRA #302
Old 10-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #59
R6Rescue
Crash (MotoGP Guru)

Bike(s):
2006 R6 (Street)
2011 R6 (Racebike)
2008 R6 (Deceased Best Friend's)

I plan on putting my deposit down VERY soon! Can anyone say the best Christmas present to myself EVER!!!
R6Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #60
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

Since the Desmo is out of range, this may be a viable option.

Advertisement