Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #21
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

I tried out the new Superbiike slicks this weekend. John said the rear hot pressure should be 25lbs off the track. I wasn't running a warmer so I set it cold at 22. I figured for 3 lbs heat growth on the track. I came back in and it was at 30 lbs. It grew 8 lbs! I spoke to John about it and he clued me in. I didn't expect more growth in cooler weather, but I understand it now. Just one more thing to keep in mind.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire pressures at the race track? school me please! plummer Taking it to the Track 34 02-25-2013 07:57 PM
Tire pressures on the track??? j_e_hurst Taking it to the Track 25 08-14-2012 06:33 PM
Cold Track, Green Track, Tire Warmers and Cold Tires... cdill35 Taking it to the Track 40 11-24-2008 11:48 PM
Cold weather tire pressures? [poser] Taking it to the Track 5 11-08-2008 09:13 AM
COLD tire pressures CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 10-28-2005 11:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post
I tried out the new Superbiike slicks this weekend. John said the rear hot pressure should be 25lbs off the track. I wasn't running a warmer so I set it cold at 22. I figured for 3 lbs heat growth on the track. I came back in and it was at 30 lbs. It grew 8 lbs! I spoke to John about it and he clued me in. I didn't expect more growth in cooler weather, but I understand it now. Just one more thing to keep in mind.
You need to get that smaller rear sprocket, and back that up un the swingarm. How did the rest of the day go?
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #23
mototx
Guthrie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Ahh, I see what yall are saying now, off the warmers temp (say 22) in cold temps will exceed the desired off the track temps whereas in higher temps the same setting won't jump as much because of the closeness in degrees in which they begin. I was referencing last track setting (warm/hot) off warmer which in colder temps will always require an additional 1lb or 2...
mototx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #24
blaknwite

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

An interesting study in tire presure, ambient temperature, track temperature and greenness of track. I had plenty of time to think about it as I slid through the grass on my in Turn 9 about 10am on Saturday. There is plenty of tire help from anyone at the track, especially John, none of which will do you any good if you don't let the feckers warm up a bit.

If anyone has any pics of a yellow SV hitting the dirt I would be delighted to see them.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #25
maxgs

Member Garage

Wow, I saw you out there on nine. Glad you are ok.

-Curt
Old 10-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #26
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I've done a lot of messing with pressures and tires through the years - I have had the best luck with softer compound tires when the temp are down than with pressure changes.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #27
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
I would have loved to have seen this.

I'M THERE FOR A REASON PEOPLE!!!
i know and i even talked to you for a few min. i totally got caught up with someone else and i forgot to follow up with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
After you suggested the pressure drop, my bike stopped sliding the rear out between 5 and 6.
thats exactly where i was sliding! coming out of 5 and out of 6.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #28
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I've done a lot of messing with pressures and tires through the years - I have had the best luck with softer compound tires when the temp are down than with pressure changes.
Actually your right to a point. The problem is, most people can't afford 2 or 3 sets of tires. Most people try to get multiple trackdays out of one set, and this is a tough time of the year to do that. Weather variations, and different tracks demand different compounds for optimum performance. The pressure changes just help people make the best out of what they have.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #29
lorin70

One thing that I have found to be both useful and inexpensive for the track is a cheap non-contact temperature gauge for checking tire temps. It is easy to get one for $30 or less from most R/C hobby shops or R/C websites and even the cheap ones are usually accurate to about +- 3 degrees. They can be used to check ambient temp, track temp, and tire temp to get some idea of how the three are affecting what is going on.

From checking these three different temps at TWS (Texas World Speedway) this past Saturday and on previous occasions it is apparent that the ambient air temp can have a lot of effect on tire temps. In the morning the ambient air was between 55 and 59 degrees until mid-day and ground temps were about 5 degrees higher. Tires were coming off the warmers at about 170 degrees. After a full session running a little slower than my typical pace I would check tire temps immediately after coming off the track and the rear was typically around 140-150 with quite a bit of variability across the tire and the front was about 130-135. Cold pressures were 24.5 rear and 28 front (31 and 31 while hot) on BT-003s .

For comparison purposes, on a day where ambient is more like 85-95 and ground temps are 120 or more the tires will often come off the warmers at 180 and fresh off the track (with a pace that is 3-5 seconds faster) the rear will be 175-180 degrees and the front will be about 150-160 degrees.

Having made these temperature measurements in ambient temps between 50 degrees and 100 degrees I usually see that once the air temp starts to drop below about 80 degrees that operating tire temps will tend to start falling at about the same rate as air temp does.

It is also interesting to measure the difference in temperature across the tire from left to right where I often see a differential of 10 to 15 degrees between the more loaded side and the less loaded side.

This has all been done using BT-002 or BT-003 which were hard rear and medium or hard front. Id be interested to see if other people have experienced similar tire temp results as air temps drop.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #30
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

i was out there both sat and sun,tyres were off the warmers at 30/26 and just off the track at 31/26.i set these pressures as per John and they were dead on.i have to say the 003's felt the best for me on the cold.
i also noticed the track was way faster on sunday,well til noon anyways.
only had one minor slide out of 11 sunday,not too bad.
i had a harder time keeping the front tyre down on wheely hill than i had B4.
i was on the gas as soon as i came out of the paddock,but waited til the group was gone to avoid waiting and letting the tires go cold.
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #31
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51eviltwin View Post
i was out there both sat and sun,tyres were off the warmers at 30/26 and just off the track at 31/26.i set these pressures as per John and they were dead on.i have to say the 003's felt the best for me on the cold.
i also noticed the track was way faster on sunday,well til noon anyways.
only had one minor slide out of 11 sunday,not too bad.
i had a harder time keeping the front tyre down on wheely hill than i had B4.
i was on the gas as soon as i came out of the paddock,but waited til the group was gone to avoid waiting and letting the tires go cold.
I had GREAT power all day Saturday courtesy of the cool air. From an average of 154 on the front straight (measured via gps) to 159. Dang near had a 160... 159.8....
Old 10-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #32
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Strange...

I ran 28 front and 26 rear, BT003 med front hard rear, off the warmers, on Saturday and never slid once.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #33
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Strange...

I ran 28 front and 26 rear, BT003 med front hard rear, off the warmers, on Saturday and never slid once.
That tells me your suspension is setup better. It is loading the tires properly and your riding smooth.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #34
maxgs

Member Garage

John,
I was on my third rear tire for that front and quite a lot of heat cycles. It still looked decent, however. I actually lost 1 psi coming off the track in the morning sessions.... off the warmers at 29 psi... returning at 28.

The new tire felt better; I can't help but wonder how much of that was psychological.

-Curt
Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #35
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
John,
I was on my third rear tire for that front and quite a lot of heat cycles. It still looked decent, however. I actually lost 1 psi coming off the track in the morning sessions.... off the warmers at 29 psi... returning at 28.

The new tire felt better; I can't help but wonder how much of that was psychological.

-Curt

New tires will always feel better.

#1. There is a definate grip and flex advantage to fresh rubber.
#2. Your mind thinks it is better, so it will be.

The psi loss off the track, was that with the new tire or the old tire?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #36
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
New tires will always feel better.

#1. There is a definate grip and flex advantage to fresh rubber.
#2. Your mind thinks it is better, so it will be.

The psi loss off the track, was that with the new tire or the old tire?
That was on the old tire.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #37
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
That was on the old tire.
Without being there and looking at it in person. My theory is that the old tire, with excessive heat cycles, was not flexing enough to build heat or maintain the heat from your warmers. Esspecially with the weather conditions we had last weekend. Tire flex and mid-corner bump compliance are going to be the first charictaristics that suffer from heat cycles.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #38
maxgs

Member Garage

John, I was getting movement on the front tire when riding over the tar snakes just prior to the transition in turn one. Nothing crazy enough to warrant slowing down, but definite movement that I had not felt previously.

Anyway, I have no tire complaints. I was simply getting more movement than I am used to, or comfortable with. I started this thread asking how racers compensate for colder track temperatures and it looks like dropping a couple of PSI is the answer.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

-Curt

Advertisement