MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
maxgs

Member Garage

Cold track and tire pressures

Racer guys and ballistically fast track riders... do you attempt to compensate for low track temperatures by lowering your tire pressures? At TWS (Texas World Speedway) yesterday, it was chilly, damp in the morning, and felt slick. I ran my standard tire pressures, and I never seemed to get the grip I wanted out of the front tire. I almost tucked it in turn nine, and had many moment wear the front tire was sliding over tar strips and other place.

In hindsight, I'm thinking that I didn't get the tire to temperature thus it never came in. Had I had it to do over, I would have tried running the tire at a few PSI lower... perhaps 2 to start with.

What is your experience?

-Curt
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire pressures at the race track? school me please! plummer Taking it to the Track 34 02-25-2013 07:57 PM
Tire pressures on the track??? j_e_hurst Taking it to the Track 25 08-14-2012 06:33 PM
Cold Track, Green Track, Tire Warmers and Cold Tires... cdill35 Taking it to the Track 40 11-24-2008 11:48 PM
Cold weather tire pressures? [poser] Taking it to the Track 5 11-08-2008 09:13 AM
COLD tire pressures CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 10-28-2005 11:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
ROADandTRACK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Yes, I start at 2 less. Then look at the tire throughout the day.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
maxgs

Member Garage

Thanks Keith.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
About what temp would you start to consider lowering the PSI in the tires?
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

60 or if they look like they aren't getting hot enough. Sometimes 70-80 depends on track and/or tire. Nothing stays the same even if you want it to.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

2-3 psi. less.
I may even go to a softer compound.

A word about tire warmers. When it's cold, you need to put the warmers on longer. What you're looking for is for your RIM to feel warm to the touch, otherwise it's just a huge aluminum heat sink and will suck the heat out of the tire in a lap or two.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

So Keith, I'd be looking to ensure the graining on the tire is pretty heavy, right? I could also use a pyrometer; if I did that, what minimum temperature would I be looking for on the front and rear?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
2-3 psi. less.
I may even go to a softer compound.

A word about tire warmers. When it's cold, you need to put the warmers on longer. What you're looking for is for your RIM to feel warm to the touch, otherwise it's just a huge aluminum heat sink and will suck the heat out of the tire in a lap or two.
Patrick would something like the Woddcrafts with the Curtains help with something like that. John was talking to us about the warmers yesterday and how they are going to be hit or miss because of the cold track.. The tires were really getting up to temp and it would be hard to get a good steady cycle out of them.. Just wondering
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

Nope! I set the tire at its standard HOT pressure then get onto the track as quick as possible to avoid the cooling and try and get the tire back up to temp as quickly as possible. The reason behind not dropping the tire press is simple, you should always start from your baseline hot temp to keep as many variables out, then adjust from there. To little press in the front can cause it to feel numb and even worse cause it to " TUCK" because of to much inside grip at which point the tire flicks inward cause the bike to fall and you have just lowsided. I just read Patricks post and thats what I meant by "hot" when the rim is hot then your in business he taught me that after a cold tire wreck and I had thought it was "hot".

Scott

Last edited by Predator04; 10-11-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Predator04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Someone educate the uneducated.
Why do you lower the PSI when it's cold.
Is it to get more flex out of the tire and generate more heat?
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Someone educate the uneducated.
Why do you lower the PSI when it's cold.
Is it to get more flex out of the tire and generate more heat?
Yes.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
psychomedicHFD
CMRA Expert #65

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Yamaha R1 Race bike

One thing we talked about last night at dinner is pulling the tire warmers off then sitting in line on the grid waiting.....my question is if you set the tire warmers at a higher temp so by the time you get on the track they will be at the optimal temp?
psychomedicHFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Not so much.
Look. no matter how hot your tire is, you're not going to have the same traction one you get on the pavement.

On the race line the pavement will be a bit warmer, but it's still cooler than what the tire wants and you'll have less maximum grip.

My point on the rims being warm is to remove ONE of the TWO items that are leeching heat from your tires; the rim. There's not much you can do about the pavement.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #14
mototx
Guthrie

I go the other way, 1-2 lbs more, idea being you want to achieve recommended "off track temps". By reducing the psi in colder temps that do not allow the tire to heat as much as normal will create a deficit that won't be shored up as quick or if at all. Off warmer temps are a generalization thus off track temps will vary with conditions and course layouts, kind of like using one jet for a 2 stroke in any condition.

Last edited by mototx; 10-11-2009 at 07:29 PM.
mototx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #15
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

for normal temp track days, i set my pressures at 26 front, 22 rear per John's instructions. after one of my better sessions yesterday i checked my pressures (supposed to be hot by now right?) and they where still sitting at 26/22. is that normal? morning sessions had me slipping the rear a good amount.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #16
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

The track was VERY green Saturday. Funny thing is, the track was way better today, before the rain came, and it was cooler today.

To answer the original question, yes. Drop your pressures approx 2 psi on the warmers. This will help the tire generate & maintain on track temps and thus resulting pressures.

Hey Curt, I was there all weekend. If your having issues always come see me. I'm there to help.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
for normal temp track days, i set my pressures at 26 front, 22 rear per John's instructions. after one of my better sessions yesterday i checked my pressures (supposed to be hot by now right?) and they where still sitting at 26/22. is that normal? morning sessions had me slipping the rear a good amount.
I would have loved to have seen this.

I'M THERE FOR A REASON PEOPLE!!!
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #18
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
I'M THERE FOR A REASON PEOPLE!!!
always willing to help, too.

Just another "thanks, John."

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #19
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
The track was VERY green Saturday. Funny thing is, the track was way better today, before the rain came, and it was cooler today.

To answer the original question, yes. Drop your pressures approx 2 psi on the warmers. This will help the tire generate & maintain on track temps and thus resulting pressures.

Hey Curt, I was there all weekend. If your having issues always come see me. I'm there to help.
I did come and see you. I bought a new front tire and put it on.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #20
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:

After you suggested the pressure drop, my bike stopped sliding the rear out between 5 and 6.
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement