MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
--SV--
Not anymore but whatever

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Honda crankcase material?

Hi all, I was just curious as to see what material the crankcase/crankcase cover is made of on an 03 CBR600rr. Mine has a small seperation between the crankcase itself, and the crankcase cover.
I've looked everywhere but can't find the answer. I think that the cover is aluminum and the actual crankcase is magnesium.
Also, I was going to go to Motorcycles Unlimited to get this done and welded today but a buddy of mine told me he'd do it for an 18 pack. One is way cheaper than the other.
Does the crankcase need to be removed before welding? I know the oil must be drained but does it need to be spot free?

Thanks for the help !!!
Attached Images

--SV-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seafoam in Crankcase Rowdy76 Car Forum 19 08-13-2014 07:57 PM
Crankcase welded? messiah General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 02-23-2014 03:35 PM
crankcase cover question! prettyboy69 How To's and Q & A's 6 03-29-2010 03:18 PM
Crankcase Cover - '02 R6 indoMLA How To's and Q & A's 1 03-13-2010 08:43 PM
Crankcase Splitting Trick dudewhrsmybike General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 02-09-2009 02:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I would remove the cover to avoid any chance of fire or shorting something.

If you decide to weld it with the cover in place, disconnect the battery from the circuit.

Make sure it's clean / free of oil.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
--SV--
Not anymore but whatever

Thank you sir.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

Where exactly is it your welding? How big is the crack that your welding up and does the guy who' welding know what he's doing? If its cracked then the crack needs to be mechanically prepped to fix it correct (gouging out the crack and putting the correct surface prep, bevel etc), then weld it up. if the crack is all the way through and he welds it up you will get weld on the inside of the crack (full pen weld which is the proper way to fix it) in which case try to get inside to properly clean the back of the weld lest you get some small weld particle come free and mix with your oil while running the bike.

....of course you can do a quick cheat and just run a small bead on the outside of the case over the crack and it'll work but it may open up again in the future.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story" - Barney Stinson
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #5
--SV--
Not anymore but whatever

The leak is directly where the cover meets the body of the crankcase in about a 1-1.5" spot. You visibly cann't see a crack/seperation but I know it's there when I look down at my shoe. BTW the welder is an old buddy of mine I used to work with. He has 15+years of experience, usually welding for oil rig repairs. He's very talented and does multi-thousand dollar jobs where he's employed. Lol I asked him what he would charge me and he just told me an 18 pack or two. (I hope for after he's done)
Old 10-12-2009, 03:29 AM   #6
--SV--
Not anymore but whatever

BTW it's on the underside directly above the oil view sight.

Advertisement