MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
SE_Ryder122

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2001 R6 Champions Edition (Sold)

how to lower gas prices.

i got this in an email. i don't think it would work, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Quote:
For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
SE_Ryder122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lower prices at Target bioGuru Off Topic 7 12-12-2009 09:18 PM
Gas Prices In Your Area - "Where's the cheapest Gas?" Map hotnanas Off Topic 10 04-13-2009 04:12 PM
The Petition To Lower US Gas Prices**SIGN UP*** HoustonGixxer The Circus 111 07-05-2008 11:57 AM
gas prices AliceInChains02 Off Topic 36 10-17-2005 08:16 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

ExxonMobil is one entity. BTW, profit margins on a gallon of gasoline are not very high, and they could be worse. Use fuel efficient vehicles to show that we can be more knowledgeable consumers, and the prices will come down. It's all in the laws of supply and demand
Old 04-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
TDragon

Bike(s):
2003 636 (sold)/2002 R1

why make it so hard? how about a new president? blame everything on him
TDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
zero4o3

Send a message via AIM to zero4o3 Send a message via Yahoo to zero4o3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles
ExxonMobil is one entity. BTW, profit margins on a gallon of gasoline are not very high, and they could be worse. Use fuel efficient vehicles to show that we can be more knowledgeable consumers, and the prices will come down. It's all in the laws of supply and demand
if profit margins arnt high why did they make 35 billion dollers last year?
zero4o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
TDragon

Bike(s):
2003 636 (sold)/2002 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero4o3

if profit margins arnt high why did they make 35 billion dollers last year?
if profit margins arnt high why are those middle eastern driving enzo? and I'm missing two wheels.
TDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

because they are one of the largest corporations in the entire world! Before you go chomping at the bit, keep in mind that ExxonMobil's profit margins were significantly less than pharmaceutical sales, and we need medicine to survive!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
marlboroman71818
tramp

Bike(s):
05 busa

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to marlboroman71818
because they dont just produce gasoline. they produce alot of other things. the profit margin at most gas stations is 1-2 cents per gallon or they are selling it at cost or under to get you to buy things in the store. thats how the game works, stores make their money off of stuff bought inside not gas or diesel
marlboroman71818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
BoostJunkie

Member Garage

i'm going to start digging for oil in my back yard... I'll make my own gas damnit!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Valero is the largest refiner btw.

And did you know that we import more oil from Canada and Mexico than all the other countries in the world?

There is no way to really make a dent in any of the oil companies out there by boycotting them cause it is an item in short supply. People buy it out of necessity to live. You want to make a dent, get rid of the gas gussling SUVs, and take city transportation.

Here is some information for you guys that are not in the know....

The 42-gallon barrel of crude oil makes about 19½ gallons of gasoline, 9 gallons of fuel oil, 4 gallons of jet fuel, and 11 gallons of other products, including lubricants, kerosene, asphalt, and petrochemical feedstocks to make plastics. That adds up to more than 42 gallons because of something called "refinery gain" - the processing and chemical changes increase the density and hence the volume of the refined components. So, crudely (pun intended), a $71 barrel of crude represents about $1.69 cents a gallon to start with. That $1.69 represents the cost of production plus producer profit. Go up from there.

refiner cost - 15c
marketing cost - 7c
transportation cost - 25c
retailer cost - 5c
refiner, marketer, transporter, retailer profit - 10c (total, not each)

Add that to $1.69, add the average 43 cents tax, and -- rather remarkably - that adds up to $2.84, if I added correctly - just about what you are paying. All the numbers vary depending on a long list of things -- refiner costs go up when they have to make specialized local blends (one reason for CA and Chicago having higher prices), marketing costs are higher in competitive markets (i.e., big cities), transportation costs are higher in the boondocks, or generally in places distant from refineries, retailer costs depend on number of employees, whether or not it is a franchise and the total price also depends on differing state and local taxes. So these numbers would be ball-park, approximations.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostJunkie
i'm going to start digging for oil in my back yard... I'll make my own gas damnit!
great idea!! :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 All you need is about 10 barrels of oil a day.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

get as many people as you can to ride motorcycles ( take the msf 1st)
should save them some gas money.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
Old 04-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #12
BoostJunkie

Member Garage

i need to take the msf class, too bad my lisence is suspended :(
Old 04-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #13
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

your a bad gal , hmmmm..
Old 04-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #14
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:

Actually, I think that would have the opposite effect. If people don't buy as much gas due to vehicle efficiency, then I would think prices would go up for the companies to maintain their profit margins. :dontknow:
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #15
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

It's all in the laws of supply and demand my friend. Right now we demand fuel, and the supply goes down(because Americans burn the outta it!!), and then prices go up. When we demand less fuel, the pressure on refineries is slightly relieved, and prices settle down. The price of gas and the demand for gas are directly proportional.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #16
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostJunkie
i need to take the msf class, too bad my lisence is suspended :(

If you're 18+, it's irrelevant. You don't need a driver's license to take the course.

Challen
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #17
Chivalry

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'09 R6S Raven
'08 HD Fatboy
'04 R6 Limited Edition

Send a message via AIM to Chivalry Send a message via Yahoo to Chivalry
Another aspect that you have to think about...if we were to organize a massive boycott of ExxonMobile around the country, what effect would that have on the other gasoline producers? Their gas (Valero, Shell, Chevron/Texxaco) would be in a higher demand, which would cause their prices to go up, and they wouldn't have as much gas to sell us, so what do you think they would do? ExxonMobile would start selling their gasoline to the other Companies, and then the other companies would have their supply back, the only thing it would do would be to RAISE the price of gasoline, just to support the profit line!

The best thing to do, like the others said, lower the demand for fuel...ride motorcycles, take Metro, or replace the SUV's with more efficient cars and trucks!
Chivalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #18
gixr101

Bike(s):
04 gsxr 1000, 05gsxr 1000,07 gsxr750

It wont work these people like getting raped they just sit there sand watch them rape us with these prices and cannot even unite to fight gas prices,just a bunch of scared folks.I already tried to put together a gas strike,everybody has some bullshit excuse on how it wont work.I am a fighter and beleive in standing up for whats right even to death if need be.but Imm all alone on this one.Nobody beleive mlk at first either but he lead a fight for eqaulity and it worked.
gixr101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #19
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

are you just going to walk everywhere?^^^
Old 04-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #20
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
It's all in the laws of supply and demand my friend. Right now we demand fuel, and the supply goes down(because Americans burn the outta it!!), and then prices go up. When we demand less fuel, the pressure on refineries is slightly relieved, and prices settle down. The price of gas and the demand for gas are directly proportional.
To a certain extent, but I feel most of the current supply 'problems' are artificially created. But so far as anyone can tell, the demand it not greater than the supply. I don't remember seeing any stations without fuel recently. We did during the hurricane, that is a case of supply and demand affecting prices.

That's my overly simplified view.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement