MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #81
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Bear with me here 'cause these are pretty crappy pictures. But I'm okay with crappy pictures if they will bring back some memories for some folks. (Sometimes I'm okay with crappy pictures if all they do bring back some memories for me. But anyway.)

This picture was taken at Hallett in September of 1989. It has always been a bit of a mystery, though, because I couldn't make out who the rider is. Then I scanned it and was able to enlarge it enough to make out the number: 402. The rider is Rick Kirk, former CRRC fast guy who went on to do pretty well in the AMA back in the early 1990s. I think he co-rode to a Super Teams championship one year. I know he was also a AMA 250 GP rider now and again, and I seem to remember him getting a Yosh support ride for a year. Rick kind of went away in the early 1990s, but I saw him again at Hallett in May of this year where he was supporting his boy, Cameron. Now Cameron looks to be a force to be recokened with in the CMRA.

711361761 9Sk3h O

This picture was taken in April of 1988 at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Even though I took rider's school in late 1987, this was my first race weekend. My ride here was a 1985 Honda Interceptor 500 that I bought in a basket from a guy I met on while running with the street bike gang back in the day. Note the cloudy skies -- the weather was suspect the whole day, rain now and again, usually when I needed it the least.

711361759 2nwzA XL

This picture was taken on Labor Day 1989 at Memphis Motorsports Park. It was a WERA double-points national, so I figured I'd take a road trip. Check out my first class rig! My 1989 Mustang 5.0 was a killer tow vehicle. The line to get in was pretty long, and I'm standing at a barrier contemplating the last few corners of the track, which used the staging lanes of the drag strip. MMP is a fun track, and I liked it so much that I went back the year. (Yes, Joe, this is the car that had an altercation with a shopping basket, but that didn't happen until 1990. I can hear you laughing from here!)

711361760 oefCN XL

This is Oak Hill sometime in the spring of 1989. If you're trying to identify riders, this is a terrible picture, but I didn't take it so don't blame me. I am the guy in the middle of the picture with some other guy right on my rear wheel. Some other guy leads us both through T1. Check out the crowd in the background, though.

711361782 WHULk XL
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMRA Race Pix - A Few From Last Weekend at ECR Racer997 Taking it to the Track 24 08-21-2011 06:51 PM
A Few Pix - CMRA, April 2 and 3, 2011 Racer997 Taking it to the Track 17 04-11-2011 01:09 PM
CMRA Race Pix - A Few From Last Weekend at MSRH Racer997 Taking it to the Track 12 02-27-2011 01:13 PM
CRRC/CMRA Racer in Need 70rsss Taking it to the Track 4 05-14-2010 12:06 PM
Random pix from CMRA last year at MSHR kenup283 Taking it to the Track 3 01-22-2009 12:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #82
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Your mustang set up reminds me of the setting I have with the A4. Thanks for sharing Linz.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #83
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
Your mustang set up reminds me of the setting I have with the A4. Thanks for sharing Linz.
I was a Fox Body lover, and still am. I had an '87, '89 and '92. I sold the '92 in 2002. It's time for another.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #84
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #85
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #86
ileono918
On hiatus

Niiiice
Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #87
Old Wrench 997
Grumpy Old Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1989 GL1500I FJ1100/GS750/CBX/VFR700F all in the past :(

Dang! I never knew I was a terrorist until Janet said so!
Old Wrench 997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #88
ileono918
On hiatus

WTH Linz, I demand more
Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #89
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Here I am at Oak Hill in July of 1990. This is me, all shiny and white, -- Mr. Clean (yeah, JP42, you know what I mean!) on my 90 GSXR750. I am reminded of a couple things when I see this picture. Note the blue and white duct tape on the lower fairing bubble that follows the paint lines. At the time these freaking Suzukis were wide and somewhat low, and the lowers would often drag in the corners if you really got your lean on. Initially I just wore a hole in the lower and didn't care about it because once I wore through the fairing it wouldn't drag as much. But a couple months before this shot was taken, in May, a good racing buddy of mine, John Pollard, crashed this very bike in Oak Hill's T3 and was subsequently paralyzed from the waist down as a result (but I'll tell that story another time). Although the crash did relatively minor damage to the bike, the fairing got a bigger hole. Seeing it made me think of John, so I had to tape it up. Oh, and race plastics? What were those? Also, although you can't see it, I am racing with a broken lower right leg. I cut my cast off to make this race (having missed the race before because I was in the hospital) and stuffed my fat ankle into my boot and didn't take it off until the day was over for fear that I might not be able to fit it there again if it swelled up.

765053875 KbrTq XL

October 1989, Hallett Motor Speedway. I believe this is the Clubman class and a couple of CRRC/CMRA legends are depicted here. In front on some kind of 1989 version of a motard, a Honda XR of some sort, Eric Falt is leading Jeff Berglund on a hopped-up Honda FT Ascot. Berglund was near impossible to beat in this class in those days, and retired and moved up north after the 1989 season, I think. I never forgot that he was a wild- and his Rising Sun helmet stood out back in the day. And Eric Falt? What can you say about him. He was winning then and he's still winning now. Legend has it that he's never missed a race weekend since he started racing in 1986, too.

765053515 EmCFT XL

This is, I think, May 1990. The track is Memphis Motorsports Park. I am pitted with Joe Prussiano. I believe the kid in the background is Jeff Covington. I had some podiums at MMP this weekend, but I also had a bad- 130 mph crash going into T1 (a few minutes after this picture was taken, I think). That was fun, but the damage was minimal. Note the hole in the lower fairing is visible in this picture.

765053182 5PAhN XL

I took this picture in 1988 at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I am not sure of the month, September, maybe. I am standing in the grandstands area on the front straight near the starter's stand. In those days you could merely walk through the tunnel from the inside of the track to the grandstands. The tunnel is still there and passable, but the gate is always locked now. Anyway, I am peeking my head through a hole in the fence to get this shot of Doug Polen leading Kurt Hall. I can't remember which lap of the race this was, but I know Polen won after a good scrap with Hall.

765053927 Lnvxk XL
Old 01-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #90
Mongo87
Banned

User is banned

Mongo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #91
Mongo87
Banned

User is banned

Mongo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #92
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

March 18, 1995. This is Gordon Miller on the starting line at TWS (Texas World Speedway) waiting for the start of the endurance race. Gordon rode for the legendary Northwest Honda team, and for many years they were almost unbeatable.

775319946 U5ZoD XL

I'm lazy and don't want to fish out my old newsletters to confirm who I think is in this picture. This is Oak Hill, April 9, 1995, and this is the lead pack of what looks to be a C production or maybe C superbike bike race heading into T7. Normally I'd say that 29 is Sam McDonald, but for some reason, I'm not 100% certain about that. 52 is Steve Isenhower and 5 is Jeff Covington. The rider behind Isenhower in the blue and while leathers and helmet looks a little like James Schaeffer, but I'm not positive. I don't remember who 42 is.

775319948 8eDFo XL

May 6, 1995. Back in these days the CMRA was part of WERA, and there was usually a WERA national event on the calender. This was a CMRA/WERA national endurance race at TWS (Texas World Speedway), which, of course, drew lots of entries and all the top WERA teams battling for national points. On the front row in the pole spot is the GSXR1100 of Team Valvoline Suzuki, the multi-time national champions. The rider behind the controls is CMRA alumni Michael Martin. Martin made a name for himself in the CRRC/CMRA in the late 1980s, and by the early 1990s he was picked up by John Ulrich's Team Hammer, riding several years for the powerhouse team. Martin is one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, and deceptively fast. He was also very reliable and rarely crashed. When he retired from racing in the middle 1990s to concentrate on the business (maybe you've heard of M4 exhausts?), he was lauded by John Ulrich as being one of his favorite riders because he could always be counted on to go fast and not crash. Next to Martin is the GSXR of Team Pearls (formerly Team Swine Dudes). I'm not 100% certain who is on the bike, though. On the outside of the first row is, I think, Arclight Racing. I forget who the is riding the #7 Honda F2, but he doesn't seem as concerned about the pending race start as the front row does. Hmmm. Maybe I should did out my newsletters...

775319947 n9myB XL
Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #93
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

This picture was taken, I think, in the spring of 1991. The subject is yours truly, and I am riding Andy Chaudoir's 1988 Suzuki GSXR750 at a rented Oak Hill practice session (RIP). The turn is T6. Andy left to go drive a Mayflower truck around the country for a summer (really), and left his GSXR in my care. That wasn't the brightest move because, well, he said I could ride his bike, and I did and it fell over once or twice and broke a time or two as well. But not on this day. When I think back to the times I rode with Andy, I am reminded that there is chemistry in the world that cannot be described or fully understood. Andy and I were friends in high school, rode together on the streets before we decided to go racing, took rider's school together in late 1987, and, over the years, not only raced against each other many times, but rode as teammates on several occasions on different endurance efforts. We're still friends today. No disrespect to Andy at all, but the results show that I finished in front of him most, if not all of the time, back in the day when we sprinted big bikes together. I remember one race in 1990 where I robbed him of what would have been his first sprint win by sniping him on one of the last laps of the race. I hated to do that, really. I collided with Andy in the kink between T2 and T3 at Oak Hill in the summer of 1989, highsided and crashed at a pretty hefty speed and broke a bunch of little bones in my hand and wrist and other places. My buddies Dave and Kevin repaired my bike and I raced the next day anyway. That was the first time - but not the last time - I raced with crunchy bones. Andy didn't go down when I hit him, and I was certainly glad. Over the years during many of the endurance efforts, our bikes would often break or someone would crash. Apart from each other, though, we had some good luck, but something strange always prevented us from ever having much luck when teamed up. I can't explain that.

775491901 z6sAe XL

This picture was taken on August 3, 1997 at Oak Hill. I am chasing Eric Kancir down the front straight between T8 and T1 for the win during the 3-hour mini endurance race. (Note Eric’s head buried in the paint as he looks back at me, and note, too, that quite mangled hot pit entry.) The superbike mini of choice then was a Yamaha YSR with an 80cc dirt bike motor in it and all kinds of Calamari parts. Eric's team, The YSR Express, was the 1996 number one plate holder, and took the win over my team in this race, but we finished second and wrapped up the 1997 overall mini endurance championship and the Super 80 endurance championship, taking the number one plate from them.

775491892 CzjD5 XL

I am not sure when this picture was taken exactly, but I believe it had to be in the spring of 1998. This is Oak Hill again, and I'm going through T7. I'm back riding for the same Super 80 team, and this time we’re wearing the number one plate. Number one plates are heavy, and defending the title this year proved to be difficult for us. When my teammates weren't crashing, our results were good, but I we gave the number one plate back to The YSR Express at the end of the season.

775491896 wAGgh XL

This picture was taken in late May, 2001. Do you recognize the track? It is Texas Motor Speedway, the big NASCAR venue just north of Fort Worth. This is a picture of the hot pits before the endurance race started. This isn't a CMRA race, this is an RPM event. RPM was a short-lived competitor to the CMRA in the early 2000s, and they were the only organization to ever race at TMS. I believe we only went there this one time, too. The mini track layout was sketchy but the big track was downright scary dangerous. Since this was RPM, I don't remember everyone here, even though many of them were CMRA racers as well. The yellow bike in the background, #67, appears to be Keith Holloman's.

775491872 itzqX XL
Old 02-04-2010, 07:44 AM   #94
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

I talked to Wes Sealy (ktmracer) of Sport Cycles of Houston yesterday and he wanted me to post up pictures of one of his old race bikes from the middle 1980s. Wes is a "vintage" racer, having started in the 1970s, and racing through much of the 1980s. He stopped just about the time I started, which was a million years ago. Anyway, the bike is a 1985 Yamaha FZ750, which was imported to Canada before it made it to the US one year later in 1986. Whereas the 1986 US model FZ750 came in a red, white and blue paint scheme, the Canadian models only came in silver and red.

The FZ750 was quite lethal on the race track when first introduced, mostly because it had a very strong motor, the first 5-valve Genesis motor. However, they didn't handle all that well. Gods like Eddie Lawson could ride around that issue, though, and Lawson rode a factory Yamaha FZ750 to a win in the hotly contested 1986 Daytona 200. Lawson's historic win in 1986 would be just about it for the FZ750, though, as the Suzuki GSXR 750, now widely available in the states, quickly showed the FZ the fast line around the race track.

I owned two FZ750s back in the day, and raced one, I am partial to them for nostagiac reasons.

Here's the note that Wes sent along describing how he first got the bike, how he later sold it, and how he found it again after 20 years! Cool story!

"Here is a pic of one of my old fz 750's i rode back in the day. I got it from Yamaha Canada. It was one of the very first Fz's to enter the country because Canada got their's before the usa did and i made arrangements to get it. It is 1 of only a couple that PM machine made custom 1 off wheels and calipers for this race bike. I sold it back in street form to a guy in Lawton Oklahoma in 1990 then he sold it to a guy in Ardmore OK in 1995. I found it on Craigs list back in November by accident out of the Dalls Craigs list. It had only been on there 2 hours when i found it. I never go to Craigs list Dallas area but something told me that day in November to just look and guess what. There it is. I search for Vintage bikes by year and it was 11:30 pm on a Sunday night. I was fixxing to go to bed when i hit 1985 by accident in the search mode. And thats when i noticed a FZ 750 for sale. When i saw it i freeked. I knew it was mine. I called right then and confirmed the history. The guy said he was looking for a bike like an CR 85 for his wife. Well guess what? I just happen to have one. I jumped in my truck the next day and hauled up there and got it. BAM!!!"

780747044 ncrGf L

780747036 wwUC6 L

780747052 fQ7vq L

780747040 7az8s L

780747056 k98BT L

Last edited by Racer997; 02-04-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #95
ileono918
On hiatus

Thanks for sharing Linz. Wes story is cool. On thing I didn't notice before was that you were wearing Fox gloves and boots. I was unaware fox made gear for street/track.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #96
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
Thanks for sharing Linz. Wes story is cool. On thing I didn't notice before was that you were wearing Fox gloves and boots. I was unaware fox made gear for street/track.
Yeah, they did, and it was quite popular in the middle and late 80s. Check the picture of Eric Falt on his clubman bike - he's wearing Fox leathers. Then they stopped marketing roadrace stuff sometime about 1990 or so.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #97
Texmex1
Bzzzzzzzzz

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
`
03 Ruckus
77 MT125R
89 GB500
2015 Xbox One

Gordon is still one of the fastest, smoothest SOBs out there, we had many a great adventures roadtripping to the tracks!

775319946 U5ZoD XL
Texmex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #98
Al Soran

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1984 VF1000R (Gray Market imported from France)

Awesome thread....thanks for brining back some great memories!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #99
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Hereís another from the May 6, 1995 endurance race at TWS (Texas World Speedway). This one more shot of the Valvoline Emgo Team Suzuki entry before the start of the race. I mentioned before that Michael Martin was one of the riders on the team at the time, and his brother, Richard (I think, but it might have been his other brother, Robert) Martin can be seen in the middle of the picture; he was a crewman on the team. Also in this picture is Keith Perry, the long-time tuner for the team. The 5 bike is the Arclight entry.

783830697 Kt3LQ XL

Hereís more from August 3, 1997. This is one of my favorite pictures, but Iím not going to tell why publically (although Chuckster will probably figure it out, though.) My teammate, Nick, having already run his stint on the bike, is giving me a little scoop on what I can expect when I get on the bike a lap or two from this point. I usually ran anchor on the team and tried to make up time if were down any towards the end of the race. On this day and in this race, we were down a lap when I got on the bike, and I couldnít make any time on the leaders. So we finished second in the race, but that was good enough to wrap up the endurance championship for the season.

783830696 G4KV3 XL

This my friend Andyís 1988 GSXR750 at Oak Hill. This picture was taken in the spring of 1991. 770 was Andyís sprint number (still is, I think), but 70 was the number we were going to use for the endurance race that day. Yep, big bike endurance at Oak Hill. We didnít have too many big bike endurances races at Oak Hill because, well, the track and pits just didnít get along too well with so many bikes on the track at one time. This picture is notable because not long after this, I crashed in someoneís oil in T3 on the first lap of the race (several of us went down, actually). See, I gave the bike a make-over during the off-season, and this day started the systematic destruction of my labors. I would continue to kill this bike over the course of the next few events. Anyway, the red flag came out and the race was restarted, but this bike was done for the day. I canít remember what broke causing our DNF, though. I know that I got broke when I got whacked in the helmet by George Hipsherís footpeg, though. At one time I remembered how many concussions Iíve had. Guess Iíve had one too many.

783830713 xJRbp XL

I didnít take this picture, obviously, but I like it. This is a scan of a Cycle News subscription card from the late 1990s. I had this hanging on garage wall for years, and found it again recently. Name the four riders in the picture. Itís really not that hard, so go for it.

783830698 7i8WU XL
Old 02-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #100
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Here's some random stuff from a few years back and newer. Somewhere I have orignals and higher resolution pictures, so I don't know how it's come to these poor quality and low-rez versions, but I bumped into them on Photobucket this morning and figured I'd pass on.

This me on my Honda Hawk at TWS (Texas World Speedway) sometime on early 1996, I think. This was an endurance race. I'm wearing a Camelback.

786643080 5PqJz O

This is Oak Hill in, I think, early 2002, February or maybe April. The bike is a Honda RS125 with a Suzuki RM80 engine in it. Today the class is called Formula 4 Mini (F4), but over the years the class was known as Superbike 80, Super 80, and, my personal favorite, Heavyweight Mini. (I race a heavy miniÖwhat?) If this is February, I can't remember for sure, but I think we broke before the race started and had to pack in it for the day. If this was April, though, we scored a second overall. We struggled that season with a bunch of mechanicals, but when we didn't break, we were contenders and scored some overall podiums that season. So at the end of race day, we were either taking some trophies home, or a box of broken parts. I painted the bike before the next race.

786643097 tt7ZJ O

This is from a track day at MSRC in August (I think) of 2002, I can't remember for sure. Same bike as above except with minty fresh paint.

786643081 G4kuB O

This TWS (Texas World Speedway) sometime in 2002. I can't remember if this is a sprint or an endurance race, though. Same RS80 as above.

786643082 UZPek O

October 2007, I think. Or maybe 2006, I can't remember. I am ironing on the front straight at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Yeah, that's right. Ironing. I do chores when I can where I can.

786643107 eRdSi O

Advertisement