MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #61
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I showed this thread to Jim Deister and he got real excited. He said, "Ah, the old days when I used to be fast"!
He really appreciated you posting up these pics.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMRA Race Pix - A Few From Last Weekend at ECR Racer997 Taking it to the Track 24 08-21-2011 06:51 PM
A Few Pix - CMRA, April 2 and 3, 2011 Racer997 Taking it to the Track 17 04-11-2011 01:09 PM
CMRA Race Pix - A Few From Last Weekend at MSRH Racer997 Taking it to the Track 12 02-27-2011 01:13 PM
CRRC/CMRA Racer in Need 70rsss Taking it to the Track 4 05-14-2010 12:06 PM
Random pix from CMRA last year at MSHR kenup283 Taking it to the Track 3 01-22-2009 12:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #62
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

^^^

Cool. Tell him I said "hey!"

I had a good number of folks come up to me at TWS (Texas World Speedway) this past weekend and talk about "back in the day". They said they liked this thread, so I promised I'd post up more - even if I felt it was sub-par picture or embarrasing. This one is the latter case.

Here's a picture of yours truly at Oak Hill in August of 1988. In the background you can see the old T7 school house. I am not sure why I pitted down the hill on this day because I rarely, if ever, pitted in this location.

I'm working on a number plate, using a pocket knife to open up a hole so I can zip tie it to the bike. On this day a friend, James Denton, wanted to borrow my Honda Interceptor 500 and do a race or two. I agreed to let him ride. I felt an easy way to make the number swap between his 602 and my 997 was to simply turn the number plate around for his races.

It was all going well until James crashed in, I think, last practice. The crash punched a hole in the radiator. That ended the day early. I think I was pretty peeved at the time, but that's racing. Note the for sale sign on the front of the bike. I think I was asking $1100 for the bike this day, but after the crash, I had to reduce the price.

At Oak Hill that day I bumped into a guy I saw at the races back in those days, a guy from Austin, who ran some kind of motorcycle salvage yard. I agreed to sell the bike to him for $700. He only had $600 on him, so I agreed to let him have it for $600 that day with the promise to pay $100 at the next race. I had to track him down at the next race, and when I finally did, he claimed to have no knowledge of the $100 we agreed to. For a little while things looked like they were gonna get ugly, but we came to some kind of terms, although I don't remember exactly what. I never saw or heard of the bike again after that day, by the way. And James? Last I heard he moved from Houston and lived in Louisana somewhere.

Note the killer swingarm stand I made for the bike.

678594170 BeXQq L
Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #63
jp42

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
vfr
crf
ttr

cool thread linz, keep them coming.

memphis was pretty funny..... maybe now you can laugh about it?
jp42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #64
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp42 View Post
cool thread linz, keep them coming.

memphis was pretty funny..... maybe now you can laugh about it?
I dunno, Joe. I'm still not laughing. Okay, I am...a little. freakin' wayward shopping carts!

Here are even more pictures for my self-serving, er, cathartic post.

Here is a picture from my rider's school, October 31, 1987. This is the group heading into T7 at Oak Hill on one of our slow follow-the-guy-in-front-of-you laps. By the angle of the sun, I'd guess this was mid-morning, and could have possibly been the first laps I turned on the track. I don't have any clue who is riding any of these bikes here, but I know several guys taking the class were using borrowed bikes. A Yamaha FZ600 leads the group, and then I'm on a friend's borrowed Honda FT500 Ascot. I'm guessing that's an RD two-stroke that's following me, but I don't know. I can't see the rider behind him, but a GSXR, a Hurricane 600, a GSXR and a Hurricane round out the group.

689002029 2TEw9 XL

This is the Oak Hill in the spring of 1989. This is T7. I am guessing this is either the warm-up lap or the the cool down lap. I don't recognize any of the guys on the track with me. I don't recognize the cool shirtless photographer walking with his killer Canon AE1 along the outside of T7 in the impact zone, either.

689002043 FRaSg XL

This is my 1986 Yamaha FZ750 race bike all ready to race. I believe this picture was taken in February 1989, a week or two before the Oak Hill season opener. I bought the bike new in the crate in December 1988. I planned on breaking in the motor by riding to Fort Worth to visit my sister on weekend, but chose a day that was freaking cold as all get out and had to turn back in Conroe because I was frozen. My wheels are "That Color", as is my cool Lockhart Phillips race stand. Does anyone remember how rickity these stands could be? I ran Dunlop 591s in the rear, and a Metzler ME33 Lazer in the front. No better rain tire than a Lazer at the time.

689002027 Vqobs XL

This is the start of a race at Oak Hill in the summer of 1989. I think the month is August, but I'm not sure of that. I keep thinking that 121 is Joe Acerni, but I am not sure. I think that is 255 in front me - Scott Crews? I think 321 is Chris Segler. I don't know who Hurricane rider 331 is or GSXR rider 285 (?) is. Again, check out the little scorer's shed that is long-since gone.

689002041 RC6vs XL

This picture was taken at Oak Hill in early summer, 1989. May or June, I think. I had just painted my bike and thought it a good idea to take a picture of it while it was fresh. In the background you can see the fence outside T1 and the tire wall, too. Note that there is a short fence in the foreground, then a narrow access path, and then a taller fence. This little access road actually served as the return road for bikes back then. You'd take the checkered flag at the start/finish, slow down, and exit the track at the end of T1. Then everyone would take this little access road back to the pits. It was a little hectic at times to get everyone slowed down and off the track in an orderly fashion. I remember more than once incident trying to get racers off the track with this method, too. I believe this track exit practice was abandoned at the end of the 1989 season in favor of a full cool-down lap, and the tire wall was moved back a bit to afford more run-off room.

689002032 gHheo XL
Old 10-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #65
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

CRRC - Almost 21 Years To The Day Later

I picked this poster up at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in September 1988. It was an advertisement for the (I think) season finale at the Monterrey race track the weekend of October 30, 1988. Since I had sold my race bike a couple months prior to this, I didn't make the event that year, but I would go to Mexico a couple times in the coming years. I thought the poster was cool and kept it rolled up for several years. I built the frame for it in 1997 and finally hung it up in my house.

I was told the model/inspiration for the art used in this poster was Mexican fast guy B.B. Montemayor. B.B. was a Mexican national champion (I think) and a local legend of sorts who would make the trek to Texas to race with the CRRC back in the day on many occasion. I saw B.B. race a time or two in the late 1980s in Texas. I'm not 100% certain what became of B.B., but someone told me he died a couple years back. I could be wrong.

692804971 ifCLg XL
Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #66
jfly
RIP Coach Dave

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
cbr 600 F3 LOR exhaust

Member Garage

Thanks for posting this man enjoyed the read and enjoyed seeing what racing looked like before i was born
Actual Riding Experience 10+ years
Quote:
I'll say this, he did a pretty decent job hanging with 3 liter bikes on 45 on his F3!!
jfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #67
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #68
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Old 10-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #69
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Man this is good stuff Linz, thanks for posting this up!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #70
humanrace911

"I was told the model/inspiration for the art used in this poster was Mexican fast guy B.B. Montemayor. B.B. was a Mexican national champion (I think) and a local legend of sorts who would make the trek to Texas to race with the CRRC back in the day on many occasion. I saw B.B. race a time or two in the late 1980s in Texas."

I think you have BB mixed up with someone who lived south of the border. I can't remember his name but he came to all the CRRC races at Monterrey and brought a large following of fans. B.B (actual name was Armondo) was from Laredo, TX. His father was into import/export (legal).

B.B. was the reason that CRRC stopped doing LeMans starts at TWS (Texas World Speedway). He was starting for team Racerback, from Arkansas, and spun out as he was taking off from the pit wall. At that time, the racers would line up across the hot pit road from the bikes which were backed up to the concrete pit wall. When the green flag was waved, the racer ran across the track to their not running bike. Those with electric starters had a slight advantage and John Ulrich, who ran team Hammer/Team Suzuki, ran an 1100 Suzuki without a starter or alternator. His bike was push start and like I stated, at a slight disadvantage. John had complained for years that LeMans was dangerous. When B.B. fell down on the start, someone ran over his lower leg and broke it in several places. B.B. says it was team Hammer but I don't know for sure and it is now irrelevant. John and others said that B.B's broken leg proved that LeMans starts were dangerous. Anyway, we don't have the most exciting starts in the world anymore. B.B. loved them.
humanrace911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #71
humanrace911

"As mentioned before, in these days you could drive out to the infield and spectate T4, T5, T6, T7, T8 and T8A from just inside the fence. That was cool."

You could also walk over the south tunnel and spectate in turn 1. It was a little scary with the bikes that close, at the high turn 1 speeds. Liability sucks.
humanrace911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #72
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #73
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Keep them coming Linz. I am trying to get more info on BB Montemayor.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #74
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
Keep them coming Linz. I am trying to get more info on BB Montemayor.
Like HumanRace911 said, I think I had BB confused with another Mexican racer. In those days we had a lot of Mexicans who came up and raced with the CRRC. Guys like Ruben "Ironman" Lorado, Guillermo "Ronco" Villareal, Rene Martinez and Javier Martinez were regulars and very quick.

Speaking of Lorado and Villareal, those guys were crazy. Few rode as nuts as Ronco when on the track, and Lorado was notorious for entering endurance races without a real partner; he'd ride mostly by himself and simply take the mandatory long pit stop.

Anyway, I finally dug out my old newsletters and that's helping me peice it together. But, that said, all I really need to do it make a few phone calls to some of old racer buddies.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #75
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Keeping with the more recent past, all of these pictures are from February 23, 1997, at Oak Hill. I was playing with black and white at the time, so pardon the lack of color.

This fuzzy picture shows a young Ryan Landers on his Honda RS125 following Michael Martin on his Northwest Honda CBR endurance bike into T6.

703104466 jCAKK XL

This picture shows pit out as riders leave for, I assume, practice or possibly some rider's school laps. Seen in this bunch is the late Butch Lawrawson.

703104486 Y8qns XL

I don't know who the riders are off the top of my head, but looking back at T7 shows the tire wall still hasn't been moved back to its current day location, and the school house is still on the outside of the corner. Actually, the school house was moved back a few feet in the early mid-1990s to the location in this picture (which was only slightly safer than where it sat for many years prior). I forget when it was torn down completely, a year or two after this?

703104467 QCm7p XL

An interesting view looking out at T5. Note the "new" scorer's platform is, well, nothing but a platform at this point. It has since been built up completely with a nice roof. Tire wall protection from possible T5 bike runoff is much improved today, too, with much of that work taking place in the early 2000s at a work day.

703104468 dzRky XL

This looks like the start of the provisional novice race. I'm not sure who the starter is. Note a grid marshal with his hand up behind the front pack of riders -- there's a second wave in the back of this one taking the green flag.

703104483 cxDzu XL
Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #76
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

More from Oak Hill, February 1997. This weekend was not a race weekend. It was, I think, a work day that had a rider's school and open practice.

I donít know who is on the 0 bike, but the 412 Honda Hawk is Keith Cherry coming out of T8.

703314855 stpVB XL

This is Ducati mounted Tony Lewis at the entrance to T6.

703314852 RrH2n XL

Frank Butler on the exit of T8.

703314835 3QBGp XL

I'm not sure who is in the spotter's tower in this picture. It looks a little bit like Bryan Norton, but I don't think it's Bryan. (That's certainly not Bryan's oil head parked nearby.) The spotter's tower has changed a bit since this shot was taken - it's a lot more rickity and is now a convertible of sorts.

703314832 cFkUq X3
Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #77
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Here's some more from the old school…

This picture was taken in October of 1989. I am riding Andy Chaudoir's 1988 GSXR750 at an Oak Hill prace day. This is T6 which, of course, doesn't look any different today.

704033002 5kAdp L

This picture was taken in May of 1989 at Talladega Grand Prix Raceway. I'm obviously being very covert in my effort to capture a scantily clad pit babe taking lap times.

704032988 o8dat L

Another view of TGPR in May of 1989. I don't recall what I am standing on to get this high angle, but this is looking westward towards a portion of the pits. The red building in the background is the control tower. Pit lane and the front straight are pff to the left. As you can see, TGPR was/is a little old school like Oak Hill is. Accomdations are a bit sparse, but that's part of it's charm.

704032986 3kF7L L

I took this picture in May of 1988 at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I am in the grandstands, somewhere near the starter's stand and looking back towards the pits. The reason I took the picture was because I spotted a Ducati 750 Paso parked in the pits (red bike in center of the picture). I was in with those things at the time. Also of note is bike 508, which was raced by Charles Inman.

704032983 xYp5z L
Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #78
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Here's a vintage ad for the 1988 Austin Aquafest. I think I previously mentioned in this thread that this event was a letdown for me and a lot of others because it was moved from the streets (where it had been run in years prior, and which contributed to its legend) to a parking lot next to an Expo Center for this year. Sure, the parking lot course was arguably safer than racing on city streets with curbs and street signs and lightpoles and stuff, but it was a boring and awkward layout. (In those old school days, safety just didn't seem to have the same urgency that it has in the modern era, you know.) Everything else about the event was lame, too. Also, it was hotter than . Yes, hotter than . And in case I didn't mention it, it was hotter than .

704856550 f2Wfd XL
Old 11-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #79
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

As long as we're talking old school, let's have a look at this. No, this isn't motorcycle racing, but it is Texas World Speedway back in the day. This is a clip from an Indy Car race (won by A.J. Foyt, by the way) at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in 1978, and it's interesting on many levels. (Remember that NASCAR and Indy Car never returned to TWS (Texas World Speedway) after 1981.) Among the many things to note is the rather sparse crowd in the grandstands (but decent number of tailgaters in the infield), the visible outfield portion of the road course and where it crosses the oval between T2 and T3 (including the old, dangerous turn that and enters the track at NASCAR T3), the lack of the covered spectator on the inside of the track on the other side of the hot pits (which was added by the Ishin folks in 1991), and various buildings in the infield that, the most part, are gone today.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #80
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Here's A Tip For Racers: Spend Your Free Money!

Advertisement