Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

Ducati Streetfighter

Has anyone ridden one of these? What is your impression of the bike?

http://www.streetfighter.ducati.com/...ter/studio.jsp
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insurance quote for Ducati streetfighter Rickey General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 06-02-2012 02:57 PM
Ducati Streetfighter 848 morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 08-08-2011 12:58 PM
My new 2010 Ducati Streetfighter S! QTip General Discussion (Moto Related) 56 11-05-2009 12:02 PM
New Ducati Streetfighter. Zapata General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 11-13-2008 12:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

that is teh secks.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

IMHO it had a akward riding position. You feel like your WAY out in front of the bike, literally over the front tire. The motor is very powerful, engine felt abrubt down low in the rpm's.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
magzx12r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
IMHO it had a akward riding position. You feel like your WAY out in front of the bike, literally over the front tire. The motor is very powerful, engine felt abrubt down low in the rpm's.
Did you get a test ride at a Ducati dealership? Would it be too "twitchy" as a backroads bike?
Old 10-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
morvegil
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Great bike but needs different bars and a good tune to clean up the bottom end throttle.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzx12r View Post
Did you get a test ride at a Ducati dealership? Would it be too "twitchy" as a backroads bike?
Doesn't appear to be be too twitchy at all.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
rideForrestride

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Badchev has one. May try asking him.

nvmd
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Trackdays: 1

dont see why its called a streetfighter. As stated above, a naked superbike really.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Quote:
Not at all. The steering felt smooth and neutral. I rode one at the dealer event (press launch) at Cresson a couple of months ago. I did not ride it on the track though. I just rode one around. I was on a "S" model. The engine felt strong, but like I said on-off throttle in the low RPM's felt abrupt to me. If I could get used to the riding position, I'm sure it would make a great backroad bike. To me the Hypermotard felt more "natural" in the riding position. Totally different machines though, the engine on the HM, felt weak by comparision.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

I rode it this weekend as well. My biggest complaint was the angle of the seat. It would be fine for a track bike, but for the street, it is just too hard on the boys. John does make a good point about the on off throttle at low rpm's. Starting from a complete stop, it also has a little lug. But, imho the seat was way worse. That alone would be a deal killer for me. Otherwise I thought the bike was really nice.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #12
magzx12r

Badchev, is it ok for riding 2up?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #13
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Badchev, is it ok for riding 2up?
Can't answer that. I have no idea, I ride solo.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
I rode one last weekend and was really excited, as I wanted it to be my next purchase, but it's the same position as my 848 in the seating position. I wanted to get it as the option for me to carry the wife, but it was not different. I thought the bike was awesome alone, but no comfortable for passengers.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #16
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

it was horrible for city riding IMO. it would be awesome in the backroads when you can take the weight off the wrists and slide the away from the tank. i am just too short to keep the boys happy on that thing, in the stop-go condition.

power was smooth and present all the way through the RPMs (i only experienced idle to about 6500 rpm in the test ride, up to 90mph and it begged for a lot more).

Last edited by hotnanas; 10-08-2009 at 09:37 AM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
dont see why its called a streetfighter. As stated above, a naked superbike really.
errmmm.....maybe cuz a streetfighter is a naked superbike?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #18
jcsanchez68

Bike(s):
DUCATI
DUCATI
BMW
Triumph
Aprilia

If money is no object, the Streetfighter is a no brainer

From a magazine:

The Ducati 1098 was a seriously focused sportbike before it was succeeded by the even more formidable 1198, but for many riders both fully-faired sportbikes (and even the smaller 848 are too extreme for daily use.

Enter the 1098-based Streetfighter. Priced at $14,995 for the base model and $18,995 for the 'S' version, this naked bike departs from its more aggressive counterparts in a number of crucial ways.

The Goods: Less Bodywork is More
Weight is everything with sportbikes, and both Streetfighter models are real featherweights: 373 lbs dry for the base model, and 368 lbs for the 'S' model. Our test bike was an 'S' version, and its weight savings come primarily from its 5-spoke forged and machined Marchesini wheels. Both models get massive, radially mounted dual disc 4-piston 330mm Brembo monoblocs, and the S features Íhlins suspension components, front and rear. The 'S' forks are 43mm Superbike-spec units with low-friction TiN coating, and the rear unit is also fully adjustable. The Streetfighter's single-sided aluminum swingarm is longer than the 1198's, offering more stability, less tendency to wheelie, and a longer overall length. Just above the rear wheel is a cannon-like duo of exhaust cans, which are polished black in the 'S' version. The premium model also gets various carbon bits, including these engine covers. The 1099cc L-twin employs lighter cases from the 1198, and puts out 155 horsepower and 85 lb-ft of torque-- each figure is five clicks less than the 1098, due to a different intake length.

The 'S' package also gets the Ducati Data Acquisition system, which can download performance info to a PC. But the most notable addition to the premium model is Ducati's Dynamic Traction Control, which can be set to one of eight levels (or switched off entirely.) The system senses the difference between front and rear wheel speeds, using lean angle to calculate how much wheelspin is permissible before retarding engine ignition. And hooligans rest easy: DTC allows burnouts and wheelies... woo hoo!

Swing a Leg Over: Lean and Mean

Ducati superbikes like the 1198 or 848 have unforgiving ergonomics, the Streetfighter is more accommodating-- kind of like a slightly more aggressive version of the surprisingly upright Hypermotard. The Streetfighter's 33 inch seat height is relatively tall, but the narrow saddle actually makes it feel lower, since it enables your legs to extend further down to the pavement.

Fire up the L-twin and, after a couple seconds of cranking, the engine spits to life with a distinctly Italian chatter. The rattle of dry clutch resonates at certain rpms, and twisting the throttle amplifies the exhaust note considerably. Lift your leg up onto the pegs, and they get folded into a fairly aggressive bend. Weirdly, the bike is so slim that your legs become practically parallel when tucked against the tank. The feeling makes you almost wonder where they hid the engine.

From the saddle, the view across the tank reveals almost nothing extraneous: a steering damper, the small digital instrument pod, fluid reservoirs, and mirrors. The Streetfighter's cockpit view is even more sparse than that of the Hypermotard, which says a lot.

On the Road: Easy to Ride... Fast!
Though the Streetfighter's riding posture is pitched somewhat forward, it's comfortable enough for prolonged rides. Once you let out the hydraulic clutch, the rush of forward momentum hardly makes it feel like you're missing out on speed. Gears engage with light left foot effort (though some false neutrals can be hit in higher cogs), and aggressive engine revving produces significantly less front wheel lift than in the 1098.

But the real kicker is what happens when the road bends: the Streetfighter S turns in so willingly, it's easy to forget you're on a bike with a 1099cc engine. Direction changes are accurate and immediate, and adjustable with minimal effort throughout the turn-in/apex/exit process. On-road riding doesn't present many opportunities to trigger the traction control system, but I did sense acceleration gently holding back during one particular turn. It was nonetheless reassuring to know the system was there when I hit a stretch of wet pavement, especially with a torquey, 155 horsepower twin directing power to that tiny contact patch at the rear.

Equally impressive are the Streetfighter's brakes; the huge Brembos have enormous bite, and feel is excellent at the lever. The ride is responsive but not punishing, aided no doubt by the 'S' model's lower unsprung weight.

Though the Streetfighter feels confidence inspiring since the wide handlebars can be leveraged more easily than a low-slung superbike, the tradeoff of not having a fairing or windscreen is the constant blast of air, which is especially noticeable at higher speeds.

The Bottom Line: Loads of Fun, Tons of Performance... and Quite a Few Dollars

My week with the Ducati Streetfighter S downright spoiled me; after nearly 400 miles of enthusiastic riding, I quickly became accustomed to its ease of use, effortless speed, and incredible agility. Priced thousands less than its superbike stablemates, the Streetfighter wins on several levels. It's lighter and easier to ride fast (though it's got ten less horsepower than the 1198), and the entire package is far more comfortable for day to day use.

But there's the rub: starting at 15 grand and leaping to 19 grand for the 'S' model, the Streetfighter is a pricey proposition that's out of reach for many riders. Sure, it performs with a look, feel, and character that's sexier than its Japanese competition, but sensible shoppers will find it hard to justify this premium product when so many other bikes perform so well... on paper.

If money is no object, the Streetfighter is a no brainer. But if money is a consideration-- as it is for most folks-- , the Ducati Streetfighter combines incredible performance with everyday usability

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/duca...r_s_review.htm
jcsanchez68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement