MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Race tires on the street

Hope this is in the right section.

Does anyone run race tires on the street? I'm upgrading my tires from track/street tire to a dot race tire.... problem is, I ride on the streets again. I don't have an extra set of rims, so for now I'm stuck with a dilemma of running race tires on the street.

BT-003s are the tires I'm trying out next. From what I've been told, I could very well be incorrect, race tires take longer to heat up compared to a tire like a DCIII. Also to keep appropriate heat in the tire can be a problem running on the street.

That being said does anyone run these tires on the street? Opinions, comments welcome.

I also heard that fast acceleration and fast stopping warms the tire up, not weaving back and forth like alot of people do. Hopefully John will chim in on this topic

Thanks
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone interested in trading dirt tires for my street tires? Faithfulfather Super Motards 4 07-07-2015 03:36 AM
Track tires (street tires exempt) Slovy Taking it to the Track 30 03-11-2013 03:37 PM
Street Tires for XR100r? MHFB Stunters Lounge 17 07-06-2009 12:38 AM
The Best Street Motorcycle tires Coast Rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 10-17-2008 02:25 PM
crf150 street tires hondarider77 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 3 06-05-2008 10:47 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Race tires work in a higher and narrower band of temperature than street tires.
Race tires run on the street will probably not come fully up to temp and will be subjected to a bunch of heat cycles, further degrading their performance.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
ok will im no tire expert by anymeans but I have been informed of the heat cycles as well.. The only thing is protecting your investment and with a soft compound the street will do a number on the tires.. what I would do is in the off season on the r1 forum or the wera forum look for a set of rims.. I dont know for sure but if the rims fit from a 04-06 on yours pm Mr.Richards since he has those BST Carbon's he might have a spare set laying around.... just a thought. That or you could just make the r1 a track bike : )
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
ok will im no tire expert by anymeans but I have been informed of the heat cycles as well.. The only thing is protecting your investment and with a soft compound the street will do a number on the tires.. what I would do is in the off season on the r1 forum or the wera forum look for a set of rims.. I dont know for sure but if the rims fit from a 04-06 on yours pm Mr.Richards since he has those BST Carbon's he might have a spare set laying around.... just a thought. That or you could just make the r1 a track bike : )
The r1 is my trackbike. I tried giving up the streets and I just can't do it.

Good ieda about extra set of rims. probably have to do that since the heat cycles will degrade the performance, who knows how many heat cycles would develop after running the streets alot.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Race tires work in a higher and narrower band of temperature than street tires.
Race tires run on the street will probably not come fully up to temp and will be subjected to a bunch of heat cycles, further degrading their performance.
Dammit. Thanks for the information, I greatly appreciate it. Looks like I need a spare set of rims
Old 10-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Pretty much what Patrick said is right. I know Maxgs runs them on the street. They wear fast and it is difficult to keep them up to temp. Not to mention the heat cycles will impact the performance of the tire over time. An extra set of wheels would be optimum.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

How many people actually out ride say a Pilot Power or similar tire?
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:05 AM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

I run BT003s on the street and never had an issue, nor a slip of the tire. I've run both medium and hard compounds on the rear and soft & medium on the front. Wear rate is not very good, particularly with the highly spirited stuff you do. The only bit of good news is that the wear on the street is more concentrated in the center of the tire instead of on the sides like at the track. As such, I'm pretty comfortable taking tires I'd no longer run at the track and running them on the street. Now would I commute in race tires? Probably not. And also keep in mind performance in the wet, particularly deeper water is not on par with a street tire.

As far as the narrower temperature range, in my experience I have NEVER slipped a BT003 race tire on the street. From the time I first get on the bike, through some spirited riding.

-Curt

Last edited by maxgs; 10-03-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:53 AM   #8
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
I have a couple extra sets of wheels in good condition. I just picked up another R1 for the track. Are you going to TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Oct. 10th? If so, I can bring them for you to check out. The wheels are the same for R1's 2004 - 2010. If they weren't, I wouldn't have invested so much in the BST's. Wide resale market for the wheels and I can use them if I upgrade to a 2010 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
How many people actually out ride say a Pilot Power or similar tire?
I have seen people in Novice at TWS (Texas World Speedway) have to swap their Pilot Powers out in the afternoon because they start moving around so much.

I ran dot race Power Races on the street and they turned blue and slippery really quick. The first time I wrecked was the first time I decided to run race tires on the street. I am sure Bridgestones are not as bad, but why risk it when you can pick up another set of wheels much cheaper than fairings and hospital visits? Pick of the front slip mark after my wreck.

Race tires on the street
Old 10-03-2009, 02:55 AM   #9
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

I have a slick on my tire ; I don't hit the twisties but it seems like it's doing ok to me .
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 AM   #10
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post

I ran dot race Power Races on the street and they turned blue and slippery really quick. The first time I wrecked was the first time I decided to run race tires on the street. I am sure Bridgestones are not as bad, but why risk it when you can pick up another set of wheels much cheaper than fairings and hospital visits? Pick of the front slip mark after my wreck.
Michelin makes a motorcycle race tire? I had no idea. Ba ha ha ha. Did you have Michelins on your R6 when I rode it at TWS (Texas World Speedway)? That was scary, in three laps almost tucked the front twice and I was breaking the rear tire loose... on a 600. Man I hated those tires.

-Curt
Old 10-03-2009, 03:04 AM   #11
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Michelin makes a motorcycle race tire? I had no idea. Ba ha ha ha. Did you have Michelins on your R6 when I rode it at TWS (Texas World Speedway)? That was scary, in three laps almost tucked the front twice and I was breaking the rear tire loose... on a 600. Man I hated those tires.

-Curt
Yeah they were the new Power Ones. It was at MSRH when you rode it and almost lost it coming out of Spice on the gas, I believe. Those tires really sucked. The 003's are MUCH better. Got me from 1:52's to 1:47

Just ordered today, from John, a set of the Pirelli superbike slicks. I wanted to try the Ntec's, but he doesn't sell Dunlop. They are supposed to be awesome.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
maxgs

Member Garage

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the slicks. Did you have to get a 16.5 inch rear wheel, or do they fit on the 17? I continue to think about tinkering with slicks.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #13
slowblack05
please

Feedback Rating: (1)

i run nothing but DOT race tires on the street, every street tire has gave out on me, (slipped or broken loose)
never had an issue with bridgestones, been running them for 3 years, race compounds. and i dont have a problem with heating them up, when i get back from a route it looks like i just pulled off the track, rubber all balled up at the edges...

to each his own
Old 10-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #14
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Thanks for the info fellas,

Mr. Richards, shoot me a pm with how much you would want for the rims.
I might make TWS (Texas World Speedway) if I can get another set and some fresh rubber.
Jeremy, did you use your same tires from the street on the track?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #15
Solo
Killer Bee Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600 (track)
00 sv 650 (street)

or just buy some street tires and save the race tires for next season. From the end fo season to the start you will have plenty of time to get an extra set of rims
Old 10-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
dirkbelt
its ur boy DIRK

Bike(s):
2011 CBR1000RR W/Corona Fairings
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol
Full custom 02 R6

i have the bt 003 racing/street on my bike and i love it....no probs!!
dirkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #17
maxgs

Member Garage

There's no question that the Bridgestone Racing/Street is a great all around tire high performance tire. What Will was referring to is the DOT racing tire, the BT003R.

-Curt
Old 10-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #18
dirkbelt
its ur boy DIRK

Bike(s):
2011 CBR1000RR W/Corona Fairings
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol
Full custom 02 R6

yea great tire...it had the bt015 on it stock....just got this tire put on about 3 weeks ago and have prolly 1800miles on it and never slipped once....i fully trust this tire!!!
dirkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #19
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
All I run on my streetbikes are michilin power race tires. When I hop on the bike and get going I purposly try and make the bike slide around, kind of abuse it till it heats up. It's just like warming up tires at the track with out warmers. If your fast enough to het up your tires quick on the track than you will have no problem running them on the street. If you are slow rider on the track then some 2cts or 003rs will be what you want on the street.

On a side note Dunlop has a new tire coming out, it might even be out. Anyways it's supposed to be the as far as street tires go. Im actually lookin forward to trying some
Old 10-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #20
albertinhouston

I've run nothing but race tires on my street tires since the 90's. Never had any issues other than they wear out much faster. My bikes have ranged form a gs500e(1st race bike) - gsxr 1000 over the years. Anywhere from SMR-running them at the drag strip.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement