MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
agentorange

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 Suzuki GSF 1200 Bandit(naked)
2007 SV 650 Naked

steering damper?

does anyone know of a good steering dampner for a 2001 1200 bandit. i am tired of fighting head shake!
agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stock steering damper beto_rjr General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 07-02-2011 10:39 AM
Need help with steering damper ChuckR1 Taking it to the Track 24 02-19-2009 09:51 PM
Steering damper question..... TribalBlade General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 11-06-2008 06:31 PM
steering damper jrock Performance and Modifications 13 04-04-2006 04:56 PM
Need a steering damper! ends big egos General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 02-22-2006 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
You want to make the steering wetter? I'm assuming you meant damper. I think Scott's makes a unit for that bike, but I have to ask what you're doing that would cause headshake. Are you sure its not a problem with tires and/or bike setup?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
agentorange

Bike(s):
2007 SV 650 Naked

out of a corner, roll on the throttle, front tire comes up, just as it settles goes in to head shake.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
You want to make the steering wetter? I'm assuming you meant damper. I think Scott's makes a unit for that bike, but I have to ask what you're doing that would cause headshake. Are you sure its not a problem with tires and/or bike setup?
No need to be an Po-Po, it's a reasonable question.

Agent, I'm curious if you've had your suspension set up by Motorcycles Unlimited or one of the other shops. While a damper will reduce the shake you are experiencing, it could also be suspension or geometry related. For example, you could have a situation in which your rear ride height is too high / front is too low, or perhaps the front rebound is too stiff.

Patrick @ Motorcycles Unlimited or one of the suspension gurus like Keith Hertell in San Antonio can point you in the right direction. A $25.00 suspension set up is a lot cheaper than a 300 or 400 dollar damper.

Also, be sure that you aren't pulling on one or both of the bars/clipons as you exit the turn. That can also induce headshake in a bike.

-Curt
Old 10-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Like Curt and PoPo said, look into what else may be causing the problem. You can't go wrong having the suspension tuned for you, even if it doesn't attribute to your shake. Also, a damper is a good idea but, as was said, it isn't a cheap investment. I've ridden with Ohlins, GPR, and Scotts and thus far the Scotts has been my favorite. It was the simplest to adjust and looks good.
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
agentorange

Bike(s):
2007 SV 650 Naked

curt and dvlracer i greatly appreciate your input in this matter coming from guys that actually race/trackdays means alot. the cost of the damper(corrected spelling) is trivial at this point, but i have not had my suspention set up for me and my level of riding, this is on the list of to do's, i just assumed that the aid of a mechanical device would be benifical.
Thanks Steve
Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
curt and dvlracer i greatly appreciate your input in this matter coming from guys that actually race/trackdays means alot. the cost of the damper(corrected spelling) is trivial at this point, but i have not had my suspention set up for me and my level of riding, this is on the list of to do's, i just assumed that the aid of a mechanical device would be benifical.
Thanks Steve
It certainly won't hurt
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Headshake only comes from 1 thing... Your frame is bent. Have you dropped the bike or knocked it over?

Got to replace the frame, sorry.

Jk, yeah what curt said- go get your suspension tuned
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Get your suspension set 1st. It is only $25. Then if the problem persists get the damper. A damper/stabilizer can mask another problem with the bike, as Hooli alluded to. But If you are getting headshake from the front end coming up, it could be because when you are setting it down the front wheel is cocked to one side or the other, which is perfectly normal.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Headshake only comes from 1 thing... Your frame is bent. Have you dropped the bike or knocked it over?

Got to replace the frame, sorry.

Jk, yeah what curt said- go get your suspension tuned
And then there's Hooligan!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
agentorange

Bike(s):
2007 SV 650 Naked

replaced the frame twice now first time with pine and this last time with oak because it's not as flexable, but the stinking wood screws keep falling out any tips?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
replaced the frame twice now first time with pine and this last time with oak because it's not as flexable, but the stinking wood screws keep falling out any tips?
Oh snap! Red wood ftw!
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
No need to be an Po-Po, it's a reasonable question.

Agent, I'm curious if you've had your suspension set up by Motorcycles Unlimited or one of the other shops. While a damper will reduce the shake you are experiencing, it could also be suspension or geometry related. For example, you could have a situation in which your rear ride height is too high / front is too low, or perhaps the front rebound is too stiff.

Patrick @ Motorcycles Unlimited or one of the suspension gurus like Keith Hertell in San Antonio can point you in the right direction. A $25.00 suspension set up is a lot cheaper than a 300 or 400 dollar damper.

Also, be sure that you aren't pulling on one or both of the bars/clipons as you exit the turn. That can also induce headshake in a bike.

-Curt
Wasn't being an , in fact, I said the same thing you did........just in a whole lot fewer words.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 10-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

stop holding the bars like a 18 year old . loosen the grip. it'll help the shakes.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Wasn't being an , in fact, I said the same thing you did........just in a whole lot fewer words.
Yes, Po-Po, what you said there is being an .
Old 10-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #16
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Yes, Po-Po, what you said there is being an .
Oh that, yea well.....you know me.

CMRA #302
Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
maxgs

Member Garage

What makes your comment particularly humorous, Po-Po, is that Agent had the term correct... it is a Steering Damper.... not dampner. Check it.

-Curt
Old 10-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
What makes your comment particularly humorous, Po-Po, is that Agent had the term correct... it is a Steering Damper.... not dampner. Check it.

-Curt
Uh...no. Both in the title and in the OP he has an 'n' in it.

CMRA #302
Old 10-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #19
maxgs

Member Garage

There we agree, it's a Steering Damper. Woo hoo!!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #20
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

I would recommend a GPR V4 dampener, they work great, but leak like stuck pigs....I just got my 2nd replacement back from GPR for leaks....Its the 3rd one.....Hopefully it lasts more then 1000 miles..

Next time will be a Scotts for me.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement