MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
superman77532

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
01 blue fz1

news report of military motorcycle deaths

http://baytownsun.com/wire/dynamic/s...ORCYCLE_DEATHS

dont know if anyone else has run across this yet, but it is worth reading
superman77532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FBSD Sued Over Motorcycle Deaths Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 100 03-08-2012 09:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

be military and a sport bike rider iv seen first hand. just because there military does not mean they dont break the law. out of those 200 killed last year does it say that 65% was because of risky riding ( breaking the Law )
lanzer913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
i wanna ride on the governments trackday credits lol
Old 09-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphin View Post
i wanna ride on the governments trackday credits lol
thats all bullshit they will reimburse you for msf courses that it and even that takes for ever to get your money back
Old 09-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
BcFrancis

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6(sold)

Member Garage

plus, military guys have a certain mentality. Go fast or go home! It is in our blood and what we are pretty much trained to do(no so much go fast, but you get the idea!) That is why there are so many deaths. Plus, the population of bikes on and near a base is much more dense than, let's say, a normal town.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
mellie
Carpe Diem

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

I was active duty for 6 years and am in the reserves now ... they have always put a big emphasis on bikers doing the drivers safetly courses just to get a base sticker and wearing safetly gear.
I hear they won't pay out your SGLI if you die and you weren't wearing ALL safety gear (long sleeves, reflective vest, helmet, etc.) But I dunno about that?
What I do want to know it were are the closed airfields to go riding on!!!!
mellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

there is also a riding class JUST for sportbikes that the military has put together because the death rate is so high among that crowd.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
ChrisGo

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but everyone of my friends that spent more than a year over there have come back 10000000x crazier. Drunk driving, fighting, etc. Im not trying to stereotype vet's, just saying it what I noticed. Maybe this has something to do with the ones that are getting killed?
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellie View Post
I was active duty for 6 years and am in the reserves now ... they have always put a big emphasis on bikers doing the drivers safetly courses just to get a base sticker and wearing safetly gear.
I hear they won't pay out your SGLI if you die and you weren't wearing ALL safety gear (long sleeves, reflective vest, helmet, etc.) But I dunno about that?
What I do want to know it were are the closed airfields to go riding on!!!!
where do you drill at ? and yes it is true with out a page 13 , if your wreck and die on a motorcycle, jetski, snowmobile, atv with out PPE your sgli is void
Old 09-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

WTH it didnt even say anything about Airman...either way its true....go look in the parking lot of at the 149th army air attachment at elllington field....I walk thru that parking lot on a regular basis and see alot of brand new liter bikes parked with some mean chicken strips

We are currently trying to get a MSF course there but are awaiting funds on a new parking lot. So you guys who are drilling there be on the look out for that maybe next year...Ive got my name in the hat for an instructor

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

I was also working with our Wing Safety guys about a promotion that Dave Wonders with Ridesmart had proposed to me. THey had the names of all the ppl who ride motorcycles on base and I was trying to get that list so that I could contact them about a great military track day discount. When I told them about it they kind of didnt like the idea it was on a track I tried to stress that is was perfecting their riding technique and promotes safety on the street but they really didnt want to hear it...they suck needless to say I go around leaving stickies on ppls bikes on base to contact me

Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
I was also working with our Wing Safety guys about a promotion that Dave Wonders with Ridesmart had proposed to me. THey had the names of all the ppl who ride motorcycles on base and I was trying to get that list so that I could contact them about a great military track day discount. When I told them about it they kind of didnt like the idea it was on a track I tried to stress that is was perfecting their riding technique and promotes safety on the street but they really didnt want to hear it...they suck needless to say I go around leaving stickies on ppls bikes on base to contact me
so your the one who keeps leaving on my bike ??????
Old 09-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

it depends on what it was

Old 09-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
BusaFlo
Lost, But Still Ridding

Bike(s):
06 Busa
85 Honda Rebel

I am the unit motorcycle safety coordinator for my ship. I see about every message that comes through about motorcycle / ATV mishaps (accident) that is "reported". Most of the investigation results end up stating " Member with newly purchased" and accident or "member was traveling too fast" and accident. A lot of message also state that they did have not completed the MSF course. The one thing that was getting a little better was the use of proper PPE.
Air Force and Navy both started to push the three levels of the MSF.

Basic: Just so you can ride on base / installation

Advanced: Required yearly and especially if you have a "sport bike" or big "cc" cruiser

Advanced Sport Rider Course: Fairly new...Required by all "sport bike" riders or any one in a leaning forward ridding position. Again yearly.

In the last message I read from the Navy down to the Coast Guard; DOD Safety Team members are / were trying to work with "professional riders" in creating a "Track Day" for all those required to have the ASRC. I am not sure if anyone has seen but on the show Super Bikes, they all got together and created a training film called "Semper Rider". And it was because to many Military members come home, but that motorcycle and get hurt.

Sorry for the long rant....
Old 09-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
BusaFlo
Lost, But Still Ridding

Bike(s):
06 Busa
85 Honda Rebel

Here is an example of a recent mishap:

SUBJ: MISHAP, VEHICLE, CLASS D, MOTORCYCLE, INJURY, BRUISE //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
WHAT FOLLOWS MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED SAFETY INFORMATION.
USE FOR MISHAP PREVENTION PURPOSES ONLY.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
1. UNIT: HONOLULU , REPORT NUMBER: 2. TYPE OF BOAT: N/A 3. MISHAP DESCRIPTION: LOSS OF CONTROL ON MOTORCYCLE 4. MISSION AT TIME OF MISHAP: OFF DUTY/OFF-THE-JOB 5. MISHAP RELATED TO UNITS OPERATIONAL MISSION: NO 6. DATE: 091109, TIME: 0630 7. REQUIRED PPE WORN PROPERLY: YES
A. MEMBER WAS WEARING REQUIRED MOTORCYCLE PPE, WHICH INCLUDED A
RIDING JACKET, LONG PANTS, SAFETY BOOTS, GLOVES AND A FULL
FACE HELMET.
8. COXSWAIN DATA: N/A
9. NARRATIVE: ON THE MORNING OF SEPTEMBER 11, 2009, THE MEMBER CRASHED HIS NEW SPORT BIKE ON THE WAY TO WORK. THE ACCIDENT OCCURRED AS HE EXITED THE NIMITZ HIGHWAY AND WAS MAKING A RIGHT TURN ONTO SAND ISLAND ACCESS ROAD. HE WAS RIDING TO THE FAR LEFT OF THE RIGHT-HAND LANE TO AVOID OIL AND GREASE THAT COLLECTS IN THE CENTER OF THE LANE. AS HIS LANE BEGAN TO FORK TO THE RIGHT AND HE REDUCED SPEED TO TURN/MERGE, AN 18 WHEELER CREPT UP CLOSELY ON HIS RIGHT QUARTER. THIS CAUSED THE MEMBER TO BECOME UNCOMFORTABLY CLOSE TO THE TRUCK SO HE MANEUVERED APPROXIMATELY TWO FEET TO THE LEFT, JUST OUTSIDE OF HIS LANE TO AN UNUSED PORTION OF ROAD (FROM WHERE HIS LANE AND THE LANE TO THE LEFT OF HIM FORKED APART LEAVING UNUSED SPACE IN BETWEEN THE TWO LANES WITH DIAGONAL WHITE LINES).
HE INTENDED TO MOVE TO THIS AREA ONLY TEMPORARILY TO PUT SPACE BETWEEN THE TRUCK AND HIMSELF, WHICH WOULD ALLOW HIM TO EITHER SLOW TO LET THE TRUCK PASS OR SPEED UP AND RESUME HIS POSITION A SAFE DISTANCE IN FRONT OF THE TRUCK. UNFORTUNATELY, HE DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO DECIDE BETWEEN THE TWO OPTIONS BECAUSE AFTER MOVING TO THE PERCEIVED SAFER AREA HE SPOTTED A CURB DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF HIM. BEFORE HE COULD REACT, HE HIT THE CURB CAUSING THE BIKE TO COME OFF THE GROUND. THE BIKE THEN HIT THE PAVEMENT, FRONT TIRE FIRST, CAUSING THE HANDLEBAR TO COME HARD LEFT AND THE REAR OF THE BIKE TO RISE. AS THE BIKE STARTED A FRONT FLIP, THE MEMBER WAS EJECTED OVER THE HANDLEBARS, LANDED HEAD FIRST ON THE PAVEMENT AND SLID ABOUT 30 FEET. WHILE SLIDING, HE KNEW THAT GETTING OFF THE ROAD AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE WAS CRUCIAL IN ORDER TO AVOID BEING HIT BY TRAFFIC. UPON COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP, HE GOT UP AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND MOVED OFF OF THE ROAD. THE TRUCK HAD ALREADY STOPPED TRAFFIC AND THE DRIVER CHECKED TO SEE IF THE MEMBER WAS OKAY BEFORE HELPING HIM GET THE MOTORCYCLE OFF THE ROAD.
10. CAUSE: EXPERIENCE, JUDGMENT
11. ADDITIONAL CAUSE: N/A
12. ACTION: MEMBER PLANNED TO ATTEND AN UPCOMING SPORT BIKE RIDER SAFETY COURSE, BUT HAD ONLY COMPLETED A BASIC RIDER SAFETY COURSE AT THE TIME OF THIS INCIDENT. DUE TO A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF RIDERS AT THIS UNIT, WE WILL CONDUCT A SAFETY STAND DOWN TO ADDRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF COMPLETING REQUIRED SAFETY TRAINING.
13. PERSONAL INJURY DATA: NUMBER OF INJURIES: 1
A. FIRST INJURY
1. GRADE: E-5
2. RATE: BM
3. STATUS: OFF DUTY CG
4. PRIMARY INJURY: SHOULDER RIGHT, NATURE OF INJURY:
ABRASION
5. SECONDARY INJURY: KNEE, NATURE OF INJURY: BRUISE
6. SEVERITY: NO LOST WORK
7. PPE USED: MOTORCYCLE HELMET/EYE PROTECTION, MOTORCYCLE
CLOTHING
8. PPE REQUIRED: MOTORCYCLE HELMET/EYE PROTECTION,
MOTORCYCLE CLOTHING
9. DAYS HOSPITALIZED: 0
10. DAYS LOST WORK (NFFD/SIQ): 0
11. DAYS RESTRICTED (FFLD): 0
14. PROPERTY DAMAGE: N/A.
15. INVESTIGATOR NAME:
16. FIRST LEVEL REVIEW/COMMENTS: MEMBER WAS DISTRACTED BY VEHICLE FOLLOWING TOO CLOSELY AND ENDED UP EXITING THE ROADWAY IN A EFFORT TO INCREASE HIS PERSONAL SAFETY. ACTIONS TAKEN PROBABLY WERE NOT THE BEST CHOICES AND MORE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE COULD CERTAINLY HAVE HELPED PREVENT THIS ACCIDENT FROM OCCURRING. THE UNIT'S SAFETY STAND-DOWN WILL HELP INFORM OTHERS OF THE LESSON'S LEARNED; ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT DUE TO THE HIGH NUMBER OF MOTORCYCLE RIDERS AT THE UNIT. SPORT BIKE TRAINING COURSES ARE NOW REQUIRED FOR MEMBERS RIDING ON BASE IN HONOLULU; THIS EXTRA TRAINING WILL ALSO HELP TO PREVENT MORE ACCIDENTS IN THE FUTURE.
17. FIRST LEVEL REVIEWER:
18. COMMAND REVIEW/COMMENTS: ALTHOUGH THE MEMBER HAD 1.5 YEARS OF SPORT BIKE RIDING EXPERIENCE, HE HAD ONLY RECENTLY PURCHASED THE MORE POWERFUL MOTORCYCLE INVOLVED IN THIS INCIDENT. HE IS EXTREMELY LUCKY THAT HIS INJURIES WERE MINOR CONSIDERING THAT HE LANDED HEAD- FIRST ON THE PAVEMENT AND SLID 30-FEET. THIS INCIDENT CLEARLY HIGHLIGHTS THE IMPORTANCE OF WEARING ALL PRESCRIBED SAFETY EQUIPMENT.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #16
pimp2303

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
78 Yamaha yz400, 07 Honda cr-f230,

Member Garage

On our base, we have a pretty nice MSF setup... i saw them out there all the time. I will take some pics of it. Its always full 2. I see atleast 10+ bikes taking the couse.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #17
BusaFlo
Lost, But Still Ridding

Bike(s):
06 Busa
85 Honda Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp2303 View Post
On our base, we have a pretty nice MSF setup... i saw them out there all the time. I will take some pics of it. Its always full 2. I see atleast 10+ bikes taking the couse.
Where are you located @. I need my required annual training.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:11 AM   #18
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

has anyone seen the operator gear by icon?
it has the digi camo theme on the gloves, jacket, and helmet, so if you wear it with bdu's it totally matches.
im not much of a fan of icon, but there have been a couple of times recently where they have really done some good.
http://www.rideicon.com/product_deta...y=2228&id=8853
the jacket has velcro patches on the arms for squad/unit patches and a patch on the chest for your name.
thats pretty awesome. i could see a good deal of mil squids wearing this gear
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #19
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
it has the digi camo theme on the gloves, jacket, and helmet, so if you wear it with bdu's it totally matches.
im not much of a fan of icon, but there have been a couple of times recently where they have really done some good.
the jacket has velcro patches on the arms for squad/unit patches and a patch on the chest for your name.
It looks kinda cool but unfortunately you still wont be able to wear it...its not reflective... all it does is blend in which is the opposite of what they want for you to ride when in uniform....

Old 10-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i have there orange milspec back pack and i love it there is a pocket for everything including ur laptop and has attachable arm bands and chest vest for all the reflection you need on base

Advertisement