Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #41
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

There are 5 things that happen at once coming into a turn that just came natural after repetition. I pull the clutch and brake levers and bump down the shifter while letting off the gas and chest braking(coming up from behind the windscreen). No slipper means sequential shifting and sequential shifting depends on how late I waited to brake. Everything but letting off the brake is done right at tip-in.
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
downshifting tommy832 General Discussion (Moto Related) 67 06-03-2010 06:09 AM
Good Article On Downshifting! Patrick Taking it to the Track 8 12-13-2007 01:44 PM
Good Article On Downshifting! Patrick Motorcycle Articles 8 12-13-2007 01:44 PM
The finer points of downshifting ... logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 10-16-2007 12:43 PM
Downshifting &”Blipping” the Throttle tschreck Taking it to the Track 8 07-03-2006 03:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #42
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
Right. I guess I could have worded my question differently, but I guess what I was trying to ask everyone is what method they use in order to get their throttle set before entering the turn. As in:

1. clutch in/roll off/ brake, release brakes/blip throttle/ release clutch (every time you down shift), reapply brakes

2. clutch in/roll off/ brake, release brakes/blip throttle/ release clutch (only once in the gear you need), reapply brakes

3. roll off/brake, clutch in/down shift, lightly feather out clutch immediately after down shift while still on brakes

etc. Make more sense? I understand you want throttle set before initiating lean, just seeing how some people handle that when they're down shifting for a turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
Anyhow, what I seem to be gathering from most, is while on the brakes, down shift and feather the clutch out immediately but gradually after each gear, while blipping the throttle is not necessary.
I don't know what other people do, but I'm going to tell you what Pridmore told me (and what I, consequentially do).

Step 1. Start rolling off the throttle.......this is not all the way, this is some of the way

Step 2. pull the clutch in

Step 3. downshift

Step 4. start feeding the clutch back out

Repeat steps 1-4 as is necessary for however many downshifts you're doing before a turn. A lot of "racers" blip shift. That is, they completely dump the throttle and then give it a quick on-off to get the revs back up to feed out the clutch. If you don't roll off the throttle all the way and pull the clutch you're accomplishing the same thing, but without losing time/rpms. You can also start the process sooner as your rpms aren't changing as drastically.

step 5. brake

step 6. turn in

step 7. trail off brake to the apex

step 8. get to maintenance throttle

step 9. accelerate out

If you don't like this approach, and you want to come off a straight, and dump the throttle.......you'll likely have to blip or you'll be backing it into turns, and probably scare yourself. Granted, a slipper clutch eats up a lot of the back-torque nowadays, but even still.......going into a first or 2nd gear turn from 5th you'll chatter/back it in a bit. I, personally, would never try blipping while on the brakes simply because I'd be worried about losing front end feel and/or grabbing too much brake by trying to do 2 things with the same hand at the same time.

Last words: This is ALL subjective. Some of the fastest riders in the world yank the clutch in, click down 3 gears immediately, and then try to feed the clutch back out even without a blip. See what works for you. Try the "90%" way before emulating any of the "10%ers."
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement