MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #41
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
every time
Every time I want to be able to hear when im super old like Racer X

on a side note I use silicone ear plugs that are basically just like play-dough and you just mush into your ear and they stay there and never fall out.. THEY ARE AWESOME if you've only used the foam ones try the silicone ones and not only will you never go back but you'll have a smile all ride knowing that just maybe they were part of a hot chicks boobie implant once and got recycled.

lol jk about the boobie joke

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the importance of earplugs brian1570 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 01-21-2013 12:42 PM
Custom Molded Earplugs bumblebee General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-09-2009 04:31 PM
Headphones/Earplugs while riding? QTip Off Topic 3 04-03-2009 01:16 PM
Do you wear earplugs? cyclesnoopy General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 05-05-2007 09:02 PM
earplugs? SBK Pilot General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 08-01-2006 08:44 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #42
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

my hearing is effected and i wear them always, so i can't imagine what it'd be like w/o them.......

where do you get the silicon one's? do they have a db reduction rating?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #43
Badchev
Slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
Earplugs don't totally eliminate the noise. You get used to hearing things in a different way with them. I can still hear my engine and know when I need to shift up and down. I can hear the cars around me also. It also makes me more prone to do a good lane check instead of just a quick glance.
+1

I wear mine ALL the time, unless it is a quick trip around the block after washing or maintenance on the bike.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #44
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

I dont like the feel of ear plugs. they Make everything echoe. All i hear is my heartbeating Guess that means im alive. but with that being said I prefer my ipod. TO be honest ive heard alot of bike and with the exhaust the way they are you are not loosing much anyways. Loud Exhaust = not hearing the engine that well. IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #45
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleassassin View Post
I dont like the feel of ear plugs. they Make everything echoe. All i hear is my heartbeating Guess that means im alive. but with that being said I prefer my ipod. TO be honest ive heard alot of bike and with the exhaust the way they are you are not loosing much anyways. Loud Exhaust = not hearing the engine that well. IMHO.
its windnoise thats the primary noise maker at speed not engine noise.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #46
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

maybe my ear are on backwards you ever think of that

Dont make me go find speed racer it

j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #47
G-Man
AKA RC4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
What I cannot ever consider is playing music through a set of earphones. I do not see any benefit whatsoever in doing so; and in fact I absolutely believe it's a compromise to your own safety. I think that's just a bad a habit to start off with, than me not wearing plugs. Actually, I think it's not good at all, and especially if you're a new rider. Even my buddies, who only recently started riding (less than 1 year) are all into their i-pods and playing tunes (through earphones) while riding. I want to rely on all my senses, and hearing is extremely important to have no distractions, or distortions. Earphones completely mask, or significantly mitigate external noises, imho. I'd rather have external speakers, but then that would look kinda funny on a sportbike.

Besides, it's annoying when we're at a stop light, and I start saying something to them, then they go "hold on... need to turn down my volume." Then I'm like... Nevermind.
Do you drive your car with the radio on and the windows up?

I'm a big fan of ear plugs as they significantly reduce rider fatigue and actually improve hearing at (speed) by eliminated wind noise. I bit the bullit last X-Mas and purchased a set of Big-Ear custom earphones as I kept destroying ear-buds wearing them inside a helmet. Best audio accessory I've ever pruchased. The sound quality of the drivers is excellent and I can wear them for hours at a time with no problems froma comfort persepctive. I've even started wearing them without being hooked up to a music source if I'm riding at a spirited pace on the street to block out all the unwated noise.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #48
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Do you drive your car with the radio on and the windows up?

Earphones vs. Ear Plugs:

Yes, I do. But at least in my car, I have a cage surrounding me. I'm all for plugs, though. And if there's a decent way for me to attach external speakers to my bike, then I'd be all for that as well.

Riding around town, through streets like Westheimer, Kirby, Hwy. 6, etc, I don't think it's a good idea to wear earphones with music drowning out all external noises.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #49
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I ALWAYS wear them. I buy them at bulk from Harbor freight. I got the case of 250 for like 20 bucks.
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #50
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I will wear ear plugs when I go on long rides but I will only use a set of noise canceling ones like Shure. On those, you can put them on and not even have music on and they act as ear plugs.
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #51
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Trackdays: 1

I rode home with ear plugs for the first time in probably 15 years.

about a year ago, i noticed my arai was getting conciderably louder, but it wasnt bothersome. then the exhaust on my bike finally just rotted off (it was almost a 20 year old system, that i kept transfering from bike to bike to bike :P.. after a 5 minute ride, my ears would painfully ring, and cause me a headache. i have earplugs at work, but it never crossed my mind. no idea why....

today, with a new quiet muffler on, i went home with earplugs.. i could hear the motor, and i realised that (like a video game) how much periferal vision is blocked off with a helmet (not saying i am against it)..and as such, i was checking 6 a LOT more often.

downside....maybe its me, but i was going a BIT faster than i normally do and it turned a little more "zippy" between cars...reminded me of when i used to stay awake over 72 hours then go ride. couldnt feel acceleration, or braking. it was like i had a helmet on, but watching a T.V. sitting on a simulated motorcycle. movie like.

i felt like top gun..
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #52
houtex
Hit'n the track pipe

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
What I cannot ever consider is playing music through a set of earphones. I do not see any benefit whatsoever in doing so; and in fact I absolutely believe it's a compromise to your own safety. I think that's just a bad a habit to start off with, than me not wearing plugs. Actually, I think it's not good at all, and especially if you're a new rider. Even my buddies, who only recently started riding (less than 1 year) are all into their i-pods and playing tunes (through earphones) while riding.

Besides, it's annoying when we're at a stop light, and I start saying something to them, then they go "hold on... need to turn down my volume." Then I'm like... Nevermind.
Dont hate on me Rob. Besides, you rarely have anything important to say.

laguna sig
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #53
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
Dont hate on me Rob. Besides, you rarely have anything important to say.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #54
JMAC

Bike(s):
Ninja

If you use the cheap earbuds the volume must be turned up loud to be able to hear it. If you use noise cancelling earbuds like Shure, they are essentially an earplug with speakers inside. You mash the end and put in the ear just like an earplug. When you are riding you can leave volume at a low level and hear music as well as motor, traffic etc. Best of both worlds. You can even turn music off and use as earplugs. The higher end Shures come with a volume controll you keep outside your jacket so you can adjust volume while riding. I have shure se-420 and highly recommend. They are a bit pricy but well worth it for long road trips IMO.
JMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #55
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
If you use the cheap earbuds the volume must be turned up loud to be able to hear it. If you use noise cancelling earbuds like Shure, they are essentially an earplug with speakers inside. You mash the end and put in the ear just like an earplug. When you are riding you can leave volume at a low level and hear music as well as motor, traffic etc. Best of both worlds. You can even turn music off and use as earplugs. The higher end Shures come with a volume controll you keep outside your jacket so you can adjust volume while riding. I have shure se-420 and highly recommend. They are a bit pricy but well worth it for long road trips IMO.
Well then, if I were to consider using earphones and music, then this would be the only system I'd consider, and I would not hesitate to spend the extra money.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #56
houtex
Hit'n the track pipe

Feedback Rating: (1)

I use the etymotic research er6i. Nice in ear buds with different types of "isolators". They rock.

laguna sig
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #57
lilblueninja
Ninja Turtle

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
Every time I want to be able to hear when im super old like Racer X

on a side note I use silicone ear plugs that are basically just like play-dough and you just mush into your ear and they stay there and never fall out.. THEY ARE AWESOME if you've only used the foam ones try the silicone ones and not only will you never go back but you'll have a smile all ride knowing that just maybe they were part of a hot chicks boobie implant once and got recycled.

lol jk about the boobie joke
I keep my ear plugs next to my keys so I don't forget them. Part of my gear prep habit now. I had been using the soft foam ear plugs and they would dislodge mid ride. Very annoying. I went to CVS this weekend and got some silicone ear plugs to try out. Took a quick lap around the block and suckers didn't budge and helped with noise.

Hehe, he said, "boobie"
Old 10-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #58
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Been doing it for over 30 years; it kills the wind noise and allows you to hear the engine and other noises around you better.
+1 - no more fatigue from wind noise. I had a set custom made by an audiologist and can wear them all day long and not even notice I have them in.

Go to Wal-Mart in the hunting dept. and get one of their custom mold kits.

Make sure you clean out your ear canal before you make the mold so they fit well.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #59
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #60
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
i'm telling you man i love ear plugs at the track. i'm no bad thats for sure but i can really tell a difference when i wear them. i get in some sort of zone and really focus

i haven't tried wearing them on the street. kinda scared to
You should try it, its fun

I'm trying to convince my brother to try it, but you know how it is....

I get the "There is no way the younger brother can teach the older brother something" attitude from him.

Oh well, his loss

Advertisement