MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

How did your gear hold up in your accident?

After the accident GEAR REVIEW!

We're always interested in buying new gear- something that fits better or performs better, so let us know what you have and how you liked it.

A lot of people went down this year; some at low speeds and some at high. I think it would be nice to know how those jackets, boots, gloves, KNEE PADS, and helmets held up.

Please tell the brand, type (leather, textile, mesh, perforated) and any informative details necessary for riders to make informative decisions when purchasing new gear.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joe Rocket Gear In Stock @ Motorcycles Unlimited, Lot's of Gear At Super Pricing!! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 7 10-06-2009 07:29 AM
Just Hold Me BigComfy Off Topic 1 01-09-2009 11:55 AM
gear saved my like last night so people who dont wear gear TAKE A LOOK!!!!! dcm5586 General Discussion (Moto Related) 67 11-03-2008 07:50 PM
ORN police release new accident suspect sketch [JUSTIN GUY ACCIDENT] Hayabusa1300cc General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 09-05-2008 02:27 AM
wear your gear/stunt accident/ GRAPHIC RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 09-19-2005 09:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

I would only wear leather. I feel naked if I wear anything else.
I went down @70 with leather and it was raining so I think it caused less abrassion to the jacket than if it would have been dry.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Fieldsheer Mesh Jacket - Men's

Somebody close to me lowsided in a turn at a high rate of speed last Sunday in this jacket. The jacket did get torn up in the elbow, but the armour did it's job in protecting the skin. There were no indications of injury under the jacket.
**** for protection

The left wrist was left unzipped and there was a small, quarter-sized road rash on the wrist.
*operator error

Knee pads were worn under jeans (I'm sorry I don't know the brand) and the knees were not injured at all.
***** for protection and durability

The a* gloves (do not know the type)
leather
shorty- wrist length
They were torn up on the palms, and allowed only a large blister.
*** for protection

Arai helmet was scraped along the back and a piece broke off. His head was not injured or sore.
***** for protection

Jeans were worn with no padding or armour and he did get a bruise on his hip. The jeans held up fine, though, with only minor tears.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
I would only wear leather. I feel naked if I wear anything else.
I went down @70 with leather and it was raining so I think it caused less abrassion to the jacket than if it would have been dry.
What jacket was it? Can you still wear it? I've seen a perforated Dianese ripped all the way across from a snag.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44249

Cortech lather jacket, Shark helmet.

Seam/stitching blown on the left sleeve...wrist to elbow.
Helmet, abrasion to face shield and top left... prior had noticed
the painted finish would chip/flake fairly easily.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
cdill35

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Last edited by cdill35; 09-25-2009 at 11:34 AM.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
What jacket was it? Can you still wear it? I've seen a perforated Dianese ripped all the way across from a snag.
Icon but I would buy something else now.
Yes I can still wear it. It only has very minor scuffs but I think it being wet I may have hydroplaned after I fell. It was raining hard. The jacket roled up and my back and I had a red whelp mark but no rash at all.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
GIXXERKELLY
Squid in training

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2003 Honda CR125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125

Went over the hood of a car after she ran a stop sign. Teknic textile jacket didn't have anything wrong with it other than looking a little dirty. Arai RX7 helmet had scratches to one side on it and the shield. No concussion and no road rash or broken bones. The DR. was shocked how well I came out of it. This is why I don't understand why people will shell out TONS of money on their bike and suddenly become penny pinchers when it comes to good gear.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
thieves

Went down on 3090 and slid through some gravel into the grass at about 50-60.

Fieldsheer textile jacket - held up great. No rash on upper body. It opened up about an inch long at the seam on the left arm, but not bad enough to do anything. I'll still wear it again until I can afford to buy the leather jacket from Fieldsheer.
Fieldsheer Congo Sport Jacket Black Gun Metal zoom

Teknic supervent gloves - not overly impressed. The right hand palm of the glove opened up and allowed me to have about a square inch of skin peeled back off my hand. Minimal scarring now. Probably still better than no glove at all, but wish it would have done better.
Teknic Supervent Pro Gloves Black detail

HJC helmet - did its job well. Hit on the front side, near the chin and face shield. No cracks, just scrapes and "dents" in the face shield. Full face helmets FTW! I won't trust the helmet on the highways unless necessary as a spare, but still used it during my MSF course in the lot.

No knee protectors Jeans = worthless.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
JRxGRUBZx

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Icon back protector has saved my back tons of times ; I've came out 100 percent so far.
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
brisingr23
This place has the Gheyz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Somebody close to me lowsided in a turn at a high rate of speed last Sunday in this jacket. The jacket did get torn up in the elbow, but the armour did it's job in protecting the skin. There were no indications of injury under the jacket.
**** for protection

The left wrist was left unzipped and there was a small, quarter-sized road rash on the wrist.
*operator error

Knee pads were worn under jeans (I'm sorry I don't know the brand) and the knees were not injured at all.
***** for protection and durability

The a* gloves (do not know the type)
leather
shorty- wrist length
They were torn up on the palms, and allowed only a large blister.
*** for protection

Arai helmet was scraped along the back and a piece broke off. His head was not injured or sore.
***** for protection

Jeans were worn with no padding or armour and he did get a bruise on his hip. The jeans held up fine, though, with only minor tears.
the knee pads were a* also
brisingr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Lowside somewhere around ~100mph on the track. Slid about 30ft on concrete then tumbled another 70+ft.

Arai Quantum- hit face first into conrete, then hit pretty hard to the back of the head. Busted my lips open but did a very good job keeping me away from a concusion. I highly recommend Arai.

Alpinestar GP Pro gloves- for $240.... They held up through the wreck and did their job. Shorty after, they fell apart and are now trash, but if i was gunna crash again I'd like to be wearing these again.

Teknic Chicane 1 piece suit- great suit, help up excelent and the padding did a great job while tumbling. I highly recommend Teknic suits.

Sidi boots- really didn't get much damage, but didntvtake mush impact either. However, these boots are almost 2 years old and are still in good condition. They have roughly 13,000 miles on them.

You get what you pay for.
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Champ DP

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
07 CBR 600rr

went down at 50mph and tumbled for about 50 feet...leather teknic chicane did extremely well. scorpion helmet, coretech glove, and tcx boot....didnt wear knee portectors and skinned my knees pretty good, couple broken ribs, and lots of bruises...overall came away pretty well.... gear ftw and don't be cheap ...
Champ DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
spyderryder
Paid Poser

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1k
2006 r6-sold
2002 gsxr 600-sold
95 yzf 600-sold

Send a message via MSN to spyderryder Send a message via Yahoo to spyderryder
-Several years back we were riding in College Station and a buddy in front of me went down doing about 85mph. He was wearing a helmet, gloves, (don't know their brands, and a fieldsheer mesh jacket. The jacket was thrashed and definitely a one time down jacket, but he came out of it great! He only had a small amount of road rash on his hip area where the jacket slightly rode up. That was the only scratch on him, except for on his foot where his shoe came off
-Hubby has a joe rocket leather jacket and has been down a couple times and it worked like a champ Still good to go for a few more downs
-I was rear ended back in '02 and had a buddies leather jacket it on, (unfortunately don't know the brand either ) but I got road rash on the small of my back where it rode up and on my elbow where the leather wore down. Now I have a gericke leather jacket that I am hoping I never have to find out how well it will hold up
spyderryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Somehow, I got a bit of road rash through the mesh of my Joe Rocket mesh jacket.

I have no idea how, but it kinda looks like a waffle pattern on my arm.

The jacket is not torn, but I have no confidence in the abrasion protection of mesh.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

tourmaster jacket and hjc helmet-- gear held up great. I went down going about 60 mph hit a curb, fliped in the air 2 times and landed my head on the curb. Then i began to slide feet first so my jacket came up in the back. Other than that the gear did its job.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #17
thatboygeorge
powpows ftw

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 r6

Send a message via AIM to thatboygeorge
hurley sweater and jeans went down goin like 45-50... i slid quite a ways and my hoodie held up fine my nike shoes didnt last tho they fleww off.. i guess i got lucky cuz i didnt get no rash it was like a black top road tho oh i got some holes in a pair of alpinestar gloves and got some scuffs on a hjc helmet
thatboygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Old 09-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Urban, you got a little bit if friction burn from the jacket. That happens sometime.

I've crashed in a lot of gear....

Highsides at around 35mph in an A* mesh jacket, GP Plus gloves, and SMX boots. All held up great with no rips, tears, etc. All were still very wearable.

Lowsided at maybe 50mph in a noname leather suit, GP Tech gloves, and those same SMX boots. Hole in the suit at the hip. The boots had a few scuffs on the outside ankle and the gloves had a small mark on the raised white lettering on the cuff

Lowsided around 100mph in an old worn out A* suit and the same gloves and boots as above. None had any damage at all except dirt from rolling in the grass.

Forgot my first wreck....lowsided at maybe 60mph in that first A* textile jacket, the GP Pro gloves, and some A* stunt shoes. The jacket had a grass stain that I washed out.

I know I have a lot of A* stuff, but the same garments obviously protect me over and over while protecting me fully.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #20
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Low side in a corner (hit the front brake too hard to avoid a cage coming into my lane), slid about 15 feet into a curb.
Helmet: shoei RF-1000 chip on chin bar from face first into pavement.
Jacket: PowerTrip Flak jacket took most of my weight on the shoulder, but had little scuff and the armor did its job.
Gloves: A* carbon knuckle short cuff. Nothing noticable.
Pants: Some old paintball specific pants that held up well pading was a hip pocket that serendipitously had my work dress shirt wadded up in it.
Kneepads: none. Took a little rash from abbrasion with the inside of the pant and lots of bruising to the knee.
Boots: Millitary issue desert canvass at the ankle boots. After I stopped sliding I got my leg out from under the bike, stood up and noticed that the scuff on the boots was on the inside sole. It was at that point that I knew it was going to hurt. I had inverted my foot so the heel was pointing forward and then smashed it with my 600 cc shadow. Fortunately nothing was broken and I just limped for 3 months.
Now I use the same jacket, replaced the helmet (same type), gauntlet gloves (need better ones), Icon boots (crappy, but what I have), icon kneepads, Fieldsheer textile pants and A* insert back pad in the jacket. I hope to never test this equipment, even though I wear it everywhere (closing in on 40K miles in under two years).
Peace.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement