MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
OJgsxr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to OJgsxr
Mechanical Issue Help

I have been having a very strange problem with my 08 GSXR 600 out at the track recently (last 7 or 8 track days) and it was the worst its been at Hallett this last weekend. Before last weekend it would happen maybe once a track day (typically not the first session) but last weekend it happened at the start of every session.

At the start of some of the sessions the bike will start chopping the throttle for some unknown reason. The RPMs will fluctuate on the tach and the bike will be really jerky. It will not start acting up until I start to accelerate hard, if I just coast around in the pits there are no problems and when it is happening if I pull in the clutch I can rev the engine with no issues. After 1/2 to 1 lap it will start working properly and I wont have any problems the rest of the session. Last weekend at Hallett the engine completely shut off once and I had to turn the bike (key) completely off then back on again to get the bike to start back up.

I have tried all of the basic stuff, connectors, making sure the bike warms up properly etc. The only performance mod I have made is a full yoshi exhaust. Its a full track bike so I cut off all of the switches on the clutch side (high/low beams etc) and pulled the accompanying fuses. The connectors for the lights and turn signals are still there but just zip tied to the fairing stay.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (aside from the obvious comment of "its a GSXR that's your problem"). Thanks.
OJgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mechanical issue. POZZD Taking it to the Track 11 05-21-2014 11:07 AM
WTF Happened? Nearly ate it at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Saturday, Mechanical Issue? cyon General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 04-15-2013 05:21 PM
buell xb mechanical issue solsav General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 04-01-2012 11:43 AM
NEED R1 MECHANICAL HELP!!!!! mxracer383 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 09-28-2010 09:52 PM
Mechanical Lien? yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 09-20-2010 10:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
civicious

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
TZR250

sounds like a bad fuel pump.

find someone with a GSXR that will swap fuel tanks with you for a bit, put their tank on, and ride it and see if it fixes the problem.
10541 FM 1960 W #300 - (281) 477-3038
http://www.idbracing.com
civicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Coast Rider
Arron Smith

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
kawaquakie

has the bike ever been dropped before?
Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Houston Terrell

Bike(s):
DRZ 400SM

with the 08 600 there is a recall for the h02 sensor which causes a intermittent problem with rpms normally at steady speed/throttle opening.
This is what usually happens.

Any gear but easiest to find 3 or 4th, steady throttle aprox 6krpm the rpms will drop aprox 500-800rpm and then suddenly SNAP back on... can be pretty bad. This is a intermitent problem and not exactly the same as the one you are having.. but close. try to ride your bike at say 3rd gear 6-7k steady throttle and see if the rpm drop aprox 800rpm while holding steady throttle then snap back... Mabye this will help you.

Also have you bypased your clutch switch??

Last edited by Houston Terrell; 09-21-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: cauuseeee
Houston Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

What Terrell said, sounds like a bad O2 sensor.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
OJgsxr's bike has a full yoshi exhaust on it. the 02 sensor is bypassed at the ecu (jumper wire) with the installation of this exhaust, isn't it?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
OJgsxr

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

I cant remember if I cut off the O2 sensor or not but I did install a jumper on the ECU as per yoshi instructions to prevent it from going into limp mode.

Also when the problem does occur I can pull the clutch in and it revs fine to high RPMs and back down. Is this still consistent with an O2 sensor problem?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
OJgsxr

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Also, It has been dropped 2x, once before I got it (got it as a total from insurance) and back in April it was low sided at TWS (Texas World Speedway). The problem didnt start happening right after the low side but maybe like 2 or 3 track days after that.

The clutch switch has not been bypassed.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
OJgsxr

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Ok, the O2 sensor is in there, I called Polaris West about a recall on the sensor and they said they couldn't find a recall, however they say the emissions are covered for several years. They can diagnose if its the O2 sensor or not tomorrow but wont be able to get the part in before next week if that is the problem.

I have a track day this weekend with Bucks days, is there anything I can do to get the bike to work properly during the track day?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Houston Terrell

Bike(s):
DRZ 400SM

Im sorry.. it is not a reacall it is a TSB.. Which means it is covered however it is a intermitent problem that is not happening enough to issue a recall.. Sorry for that.
Houston Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
What Terrell said, sounds like a bad O2 sensor.
post a thread in the want to buy section maybe someone has one laying around
Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
Coast Rider
Arron Smith

Bike(s):
kawaquakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJgsxr View Post
Also, It has been dropped 2x, once before I got it (got it as a total from insurance) and back in April it was low sided at TWS (Texas World Speedway). The problem didnt start happening right after the low side but maybe like 2 or 3 track days after that.

The clutch switch has not been bypassed.
I have had this same problem before on my 07. It might be O2 Sensor but it can also be, If the bike has been dropped check out the Fuel Sensor under rear seat. See if it is firmly attatch.

Normally when you drop the bike sometimes u can fck up the fuel sensor and you have to get a new one. The reason why I say this is because the fuel sensor will sometimes allow the bike to stay on in neutral(or even with clutch pressed in) but it shuts it down in gear.

Just a Thought.
Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
OJgsxr

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Turns out it was the O2 sensor. I unplugged it under the gas tank and all day yesterday at my track day it ran without 1 hiccup. Thanks guys for the help, now to decide if I want to get an O2 sensor or a power commander.

Advertisement