MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Robopath
Post Crusader

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
20th Ann. GSX-R 600

Send a message via AIM to Robopath
Talking Getting the bike back together... Need some advice!

Good Friday afternoon gentlemen!

Background:
I have a 2005 GSX-R 600 that has been sitting in my garage in a partially repaired state since late 2005. I was almost a wet spot on the side of an Acura MDX when the driver ran her light and I had to emergency break... after an extremely rapid deceleration from ~45mph I was still going to hit the rear of the SUV. Last second I gave it all I had on the front wheel brake, did a stoppie and bailed off the side of the bike with almost zero forward momentum. No injury- as the b*itch looked at me out of her side view mirror, and took off speeding down the road. . . Bent rear subframe, hole in the generator cap, all of the plastics scratched... and I had a come to Jesus moment. Parked the bike and haven't touched it.

Until now. I want to get out on the track. No more street- but I am very excited to participate in the Lone Star Track Days.

What I need advice on:
So I have fixed the generator cover, all the plastics, the upper cowling, and several other minor pieces.

-The machine has been sitting with a full tank of gas... Should I just siphon most of it out? Will there be an actual varnish that could mess up my injectors?

-Oil. It was essentially drained of oil while it sat (due to a small hole in the generator cover). While I had the cover off I looked around inside. Everything looks great, no surface rust on anything- it was pretty well coated with oil the whole time. Would you suggest I did anything in particular when I fill it with oil? I was thinking of just following the oil change instructions in the service manual.

-Tires. It was sitting without stands for a long time. I know that these tires are prone to flat spots on the tires. I was going to go over and pick up a pair of those Goodyear's Sunnys is offering on special. Do you think it would be safe to ride it over there on the old ones? Should I just trailer it?

-Battery. It has been out of the bike for a long time resting on a piece of wood. Think it could be charged and used? Or is it just not worth the bullshit?

I'm sure Ill come up with some more questions as I get answers. I appreciate your input.

Last edited by Robopath; 09-18-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Robopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on first bike. BowserFB09 General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 06-10-2014 02:09 AM
Need Advice on a bike. Mr.D General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 07-05-2010 12:30 PM
Looking for advice on a new bike gt-stunter Stunters Lounge 21 02-10-2010 08:13 PM
Need advice.. I can't get my back brakes to work Jay How To's and Q & A's 21 10-19-2009 07:01 AM
new bike advice! nvydis Forum Updates & Feedback 5 05-25-2008 08:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Robopath
Post Crusader

Bike(s):
20th Ann. GSX-R 600

No replies? Wow...

MH seems to have changed a little bit.

Maybe I should say something incendiary.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Elistan

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Here are my thoughts:
- No idea on the gas, sorry. At least it likely doesn't have ethanol in it. (Ethanol really likes to grab water.)
- Four years is a long time for oil to sit around. I doubt there's any rust issues, but some of the oil could have turned into sludge. What about changing the oil and filter, getting the engine to proper temp, then changing the oil and filter again?
- Definitely get new tires. But just take it easy on the ride over. They'll probably be rather slick to start out.
- Motorcycle batteries are cheap. Why risk getting stranded somewhere?
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Drain the tank and put in fresh gas and maybe some Seafoam to help clean out the system.
Fill the engine with fresh oil.
Air up the tires and if there's no dry rot / cracking and there's good tread left run them.
Charge the battery and see if it'll hold a charge.
After you get it running, check the charging system and make sure nothing got damaged from the get off.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 09-19-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Good seeing you yesterday homie. Give me a buzz if you have more questions.
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Robopath
Post Crusader

Bike(s):
20th Ann. GSX-R 600

Perfect!

Thank you Elistan and Patrick for your input. Definitely good to have other peoples insight when you are not 100% familiar with resurrecting a machine from mothballs.

Off to the garage!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
Robopath
Post Crusader

Bike(s):
20th Ann. GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Good seeing you yesterday homie. Give me a buzz if you have more questions.
Oh, and Hello Martin!

Advertisement