Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
grocerylist

Feedback Rating: (0)

1st Bike Question

I'm going backpacking in Europe this summer for a couple months but when I return I'd like to get into a sportbike. From the reviews I've read I think the Honda CBR F4I is what I'd like most because of reliability and comfort. The only bikes I've ever ridden were my dad's Harley Dyna WideGlide and a Harley LowRider Custom. I'm a pretty big guy (6'3" 200lbs). Is a 600 going to be comfortable for me to ride? I'm wondering if I should just go for a 900/1000 but as this would be my first bike I don't want to get out of control. What would you recommend? I'd really prefer not to go below 600 as I think those bikes look terrible. There was a nice Triumph Sprint 955 that interested me at a local used dealership. Anyone have any experience with Triumphs?
grocerylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st bike need help KDEE General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-28-2011 02:40 PM
Just got my 1st bike 1308cc New Riders and MSF Course Info 21 05-26-2011 07:33 AM
Gear question for 1st track day.... MotoJunkie Taking it to the Track 20 04-24-2009 03:10 PM
1st bike help ryanx13 General Discussion (Moto Related) 93 01-15-2007 04:49 PM
1st bike....thanks for the help RedRider General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 01-31-2006 01:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
RRCBR

Feedback Rating: (1)

CBR 600RR
RRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
hillcountry54
~~~---| Hillbilly |---~~~

Bike(s):
Kaw ZX-10R B|ack

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry54
any sportbike is stupid fast...and you can kill yourself on anybike...

Having said that...a 600 is more fogiving than a 1K and will allow you to learn faster w/out scaring your self out of your mind.

IMHO, a 150hp 1K isn't a good first timers bike either.
But godliness {actually} is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.
I Tim. 6:6-8
hillcountry54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
grocerylist

I've read that the 600s aren't too comfortable for guys over 6 feet tall. Anyone have any feedback on that?

I'm sure you're right about the 1000s having too much power for a beginner, I just don't want to feel cramped on the 600. The 600s fit my budget better anyhow.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
TDragon

Bike(s):
2003 636 (sold)/2002 R1

if 600 is cramped for you, how is 1k any better? I have notice the R1 is lower than my 636
TDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
grocerylist

Point taken.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
hillcountry54
~~~---| Hillbilly |---~~~

Bike(s):
Kaw ZX-10R B|ack

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry54
yeah all the things that cramp you can be fixed...aka rearsets, heli bars...

however, a sport bike is meant for one thing...track riding.

If youre riding a sportbike on the street its gonna be uncomfortable to an extent because thats not really where it was meant to be. If that makes sense.
But godliness {actually} is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.
I Tim. 6:6-8
hillcountry54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
Sc0
A Lemming

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'01 F4i
'03 KFX400 MX
'09 FLHT
'01 Giant NRS1

Send a message via Yahoo to Sc0
Other bikes; Yamaha FZ6, Kawasaki ZZR600, Honda VFR800, perhaps a Triumph.

I am 6'1" 170-185'ish and have no problems with the F4i, though by adding rearsets it does get somewhat uncomfy but that disadvantage is more than offset when riding curves.
Sc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

These days the liter bikes are no different in the ergo department then the 600's ( the 1000 bikes feel and look the same as 600's comfert wise) these bikes are not ment for comfert in any shape form or way they are simply ment to go extreamly fast and handle on rails...

In all honesty you dont need a 600 if all you have ridden are your dads hogs you shouldnt even consider a 600 if you know anything about 1/4 mile times you will under stand how fast a mid 10 second pass is...The brakes on these bikes are very very mean to you you press just a tad to hard and your on your in no time.....

The f4i isnt a bad bike for a bigginer but still i really dont recomened it....

If iv learned anything form riding its this your 1rst bike isnt going to be your last bike....

Also your going to wreck and drop your bike get over it its going to happen do you realy wanna do that to your dream bike...

What you really should do is go take the msf cource they will go over all of this with you and you get to learn HOW to ride....Then get a USED ninga 250 or 500 ride it for around 5000 miles or so maybe even go to a few track days on it...Then sell it for what you paid for it and buy your dream bike....In a few months you will learn all kinds of new info that you had no idea about....

But i dought you will be smart and do that so PLEASE PLEEASE do this im begging you take the MSF becouase you dont have a clue as what your doing out there right now( I dont meen to be rude) then at least buy a used 600 perferably a little older 2000-2003 maybe even a little tweeked and pay CASH....That away when you do drop it or wreck it its not going to be that BIG of a deal...

Another thing is this ss bikes are very exp to maintain and keep...YOu will wear out tire's every 3-4000 miles thats about 300 bucks a pop oil changes are at least 30 and thats if you do it your self. Plus you have to keep a close eyes on engine vitals and such becouase the machines need the most i mean they rev to 14-16,000 rpm they req alot of time and money. Not only that but all the gear that you will need ( you must where gear) its a very very exp propistion make sure your ready for that....

Good luck and be safe...

Catch me on 1 wheel!

morefun00800033mr[/IMG][/
!!If it aint its !!
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:09 AM   #10
grocerylist

Thanks for the informative post B.S. I deffinetly plan on taking the beginner MSF and probably the advanced course later as well.

It was interesting to hear that the maintenance is so high, I have read that the Honda's are bulletproof. I'm not looking to spend alot of cash so I was actually looking at '99-2000. I'm not sure when Honda went to fuel injection. I'd like to spend under $5k. I'll figure all that out when I get back.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Advertisement