MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Question parts form Kawasaki dealership, are they always so slow?

When I hit 10k miles I went to the dealership. They wanted about $350 to change the oil&filter, replace the spark plugs, do a Vacum Sync test, and some visual inspection(s).

Shop said they would need the bike for about 1 day.

I have no flat spots other than the one at 122-124mph when the throttle is wide open, so I decide to do the work myself except for the Vac Sync test.

I pay for an oil filter, some motul oil, and spark plugs ($15 each). A new air filter is $45 so I decide I will clean the old one.

The spark plugs are not in stock, so they are going to order them. After a week, no plugs, two weeks no plugs, now it has been 3 weeks and still no plugs.

On week two, I asked them whats going on, and they say don't know and the plugs are on back order. I confirmed the mfg and part number/item number/model. The plug is a NGK CR9 #6289.

I call Advanced Auto, and they have 4 plugs for me in 24 hours ($6 each).

My question to you:
If I paid them to do the work, would they have just used whatever plugs they could find?

Also, what is your experience with Kawasaki Parts availability? I know the Versys has only been available in the US since 2007, and expected it to be a bit tough to find parts. However, in 3 weeks I bet I could have one shipped direct from Japan.

Now, I have no confidence that I could get parts if I was in a jam. I picture myself in Mexico waiting for 3 weeks on a Kawi dealership to find me some special widget that broke.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
out of state kawasaki dealership? houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 11-21-2007 09:06 PM
Kawasaki Dealership? Drumboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 07-25-2007 06:13 PM
cost for parts to fix my bike FROM DEALERSHIP MeetJoeAsian General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-03-2005 07:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

cyclegear had my S/P in stock, they;re prolly not special.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Remember parts departments work separate of service departments and need to make their own money(mark up.)

As for the availability, the factory needs to order them from the manufactorer first, then send them to the dealer factory surplus before the dealer can receive them.

For my maintenance I go to the autostores otherwise order from someone that wont bs me around... Motorcycles Unlimited. If there is going to be a delay like the clutches and steels on the honda, they tell me upright(1wk.)
Old 09-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Why in the would you order oil filter, oil air filter, spark plugs, ect from a stealership?!?!

And sounds like you paid about $20 too much for your spark plugs.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
Why in the would you order oil filter, oil air filter, spark plugs, ect from a stealership?!?!

And sounds like you paid about $20 too much for your spark plugs.
6289 is an iridium plug, and ngk sells them direct for $7.98/ea. $6.00/ea is not a bad price at all for an iridium plug. , the plugs for my 4runner are $18.00/ea
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

A "Nameless" Kawi dealer, told me 6-8 weeks and $115 for a 95-97 zx manual....found one brand new on amazon for $45, shipped in 5-7 days.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
crzy88

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636

yea my kawi dealerships are slow and over priced. Each dealership gave me a different quote on a part, which made no sense to me. I just order online unless its something I need fast and something they have.
crzy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
you guys are all spelling it wrong...

its

s-t-e-a-l-e-r-s-h-i-p
Old 09-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

I have 3 years of experience as a parts guru at a rather large Kawasaki Dealership, many of you were once good customers of mine. For starters, your parts guy should have checked the availability of your plugs before taking your money(I would have). Second, when the parts manager ordered the parts from Kawasaki they would have been notified of the backorder and should have immediately done 2 things: Check all other outlets for the spark plugs(there are MANY) and notified the customer(YOU!!!). I've driven an hour each way to get parts from other dealerships when I needed them and couldn't find them anywhere else. Your parts guy and the parts department failed you, not the service department. Remember this: GOOD PARTS GUYS ARE HARD TO FIND!!! When you find a parts guy that knows his product, knows his vendors, and knows his customers you'll always be satisfied.

To the OP: As soon as you get your bike back please tell us what shop is wasting your time!!!

Pro Powersports of Conroe Sucks!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I wouldn't know how slow they are really as I've never needed anything.

I did buy the KIT manual CCT and it was in in just a few days. I believe a day earlier than stated.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
When I hit 10k miles I went to the dealership. They wanted about $350 to change the oil&filter, replace the spark plugs, do a Vacum Sync test, and some visual inspection(s).

Shop said they would need the bike for about 1 day.

I have no flat spots other than the one at 122-124mph when the throttle is wide open, so I decide to do the work myself except for the Vac Sync test.

I pay for an oil filter, some motul oil, and spark plugs ($15 each). A new air filter is $45 so I decide I will clean the old one.

The spark plugs are not in stock, so they are going to order them. After a week, no plugs, two weeks no plugs, now it has been 3 weeks and still no plugs.

On week two, I asked them whats going on, and they say don't know and the plugs are on back order. I confirmed the mfg and part number/item number/model. The plug is a NGK CR9 #6289.

I call Advanced Auto, and they have 4 plugs for me in 24 hours ($6 each).

My question to you:
If I paid them to do the work, would they have just used whatever plugs they could find?

Also, what is your experience with Kawasaki Parts availability? I know the Versys has only been available in the US since 2007, and expected it to be a bit tough to find parts. However, in 3 weeks I bet I could have one shipped direct from Japan.

Now, I have no confidence that I could get parts if I was in a jam. I picture myself in Mexico waiting for 3 weeks on a Kawi dealership to find me some special widget that broke.

I keep the plugs in stock, $5.20 a piece BEFORE MH discount.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
cobrakiller02

Bike(s):
To many to list

Check your voice mail I called you today and I have those plugs laying around if you ever need anymore. Give me a shout when your free
Old 09-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
Coast Rider
Arron Smith

Bike(s):
kawaquakie

I was about to say something on this thread but then i read

VERSYS.

j/k
Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
6289 is an iridium plug, and ngk sells them direct for $7.98/ea. $6.00/ea is not a bad price at all for an iridium plug. , the plugs for my 4runner are $18.00/ea
I was referring to the $15/each stealership price. $6/each is a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
Pyro I was the same way at first with my bike. Went to the dealer for routine maint and anything else. It was all I knew . I don't knock dealers too much but I take my bike where trust has been earned and its nice to walk into the shop and the guys know me on a first name basis.
I agree 100%. Just got to get the word out to those that aren't aware that alot dealerships will rape you 10 ways to sunday on parts and service. The exception of course being places like our sponsors who are not only there to sell you stuff, but they take care of you from then on out, put on awesome events for their customers and give away great prizes. They make people want to come back again and again.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #17
ZeddXavier

Bike(s):
2008 ZX-6R (sold)

yeah ive dealt with clear lake kawasaki, now mancuso powersports gulf freeway. always took forever to get anything done and outrageous prices. definately look elsewhere for your service needs
ZeddXavier is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement