MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #21
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

I ride a cruiser,but ride out to the forest with friendsfrom time to time.
I love the curves & a bit of speed.
One thing is knowing your limits of your bike & your own riding skills.
When i hit tripple digits on my bike, it is usually on a straight line on a safe road, if there is such a thing as a safe public road.
Guess praying & common snese have kept me safe for the most part.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I just saw MJ alive and well! gueroaero Off Topic 24 06-26-2009 09:17 AM
ITS ALIVE!!!!! YZFracer212 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 01-26-2008 01:10 AM
its alive dcm5586 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 83 01-14-2008 08:54 PM
It's alive! Ulric General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 08-23-2007 08:37 AM
Slavery is still alive in the US. Gigolo Jason Off Topic 22 10-24-2006 11:50 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #22
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
COPY AND PASTE and add to the list
1. I try to give myself a margin of error at all times, on the street in turns I stay on the inside in case I run wide

2. follow your gut, if you don't feel right about it then be extra carefull

3. stay in touch with reality, I know what will happen if I go down

4. cars are my enemy, IF I'm riding at night then I want to ride somewhere that I have as few cars to compete with as possible

5. I do my best to learn what my bike is capable of and keep it in good condition too

6. when I pass I want as much visibility as possible, I also keep in mind what the car I'm passing might do

7. (and for me personally) I am VERY aware of my surroundings, road hazards, tucks that might have poorly restrained loads, cars around me, cars I've passed, cars I intend to pass long before I do and anything else

8. Look as far through the turn as possible while paying attention to road condition. All it takes is a little patch of loose gravel and you can be on your if your not ready for it.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #23
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
1. I try to give myself a margin of error at all times, on the street in turns I stay on the inside in case I run wide

4. cars are my enemy, IF I'm riding at night then I want to ride somewhere that I have as few cars to compete with as possible

5. I do my best to learn what my bike is capable of and keep it in good condition too

6. when I pass I want as much visibility as possible, I also keep in mind what the car I'm passing might do

7. (and for me personally) I am VERY aware of my surroundings, road hazards, tucks that might have poorly restrained loads, cars around me, cars I've passed, cars I intend to pass long before I do and anything else

8. Look as far through the turn as possible while paying attention to road condition. All it takes is a little patch of loose gravel and you can be on your if your not ready for it.

9. LEARN to ride the streets and blind corners. Learn to look through a corner while still scanning it and watch the inside paint strip whether it turns away and disappears or opens the corner up. Slow in, fast out. Never pass in a corner. Ride with people that leave enough space around you and can ride within visible distance of you; not people that will push you if you have an ego, but friends that will be willing to adjust their ride to you IF you arent riding at their pace that day. Know your bike, know your gear, know yourself.

10. Ride no more then 70-75% of your level on the streets because the road isnt the only obstacle you will have to address.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #24
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
OK, I don't know how "worthy" my contribution is here but.....I know I can't handle the triple digits speed flying through turns, so I just don't do it.
MHO Miss Mel this is a very honest and respectable answer. This shows your respect for yourself, the limitations you are willing to set, and your ability. See sig belowVVV
Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #25
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

im not talking about anyone that is no longer with us bc some were pretty skilled.

however, and this is just my opinion and im not referring to myself either, bc i was pretty slow on the streets/ a turtle next to u fellas.

--u2 and a few others are more gifted and more educated on ur machine then others. Especially when it comes to streets. Some, just by chance dont wreck on some rides, but they arent smart enough to be able to repeat chance like that everytime. More ppl can go fast on a track with such open space then a street road with single lanes. Street takes a particular set of skills-especially at those speeds. I think some of the folks possess a gift and talent that many others cant measure up to.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #26
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #27
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

im on my phone so no copy and paste.........

have a chance to ride the road at a tame pace the first time through. We didn't just roll 3090 at speed the first day. We know these routs pretty well.

have an experienced leader to follow for a bit. I can lead someone through the forest if they got skills they will hang no surprises.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #28
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

9. LEARN to ride the streets and blind corners. Learn to look through a corner while still scanning it and watch the inside paint strip whether it turns away and disappears or opens the corner up. Slow in, fast out. Never pass in a corner. Ride with people that leave enough space around you and can ride within visible distance of you; not people that will push you if you have an ego, but friends that will be willing to adjust their ride to you IF you arent riding at their pace that day. Know your bike, know your gear, know yourself.

10. Ride no more then 70-75% of your level on the streets because the road isnt the only obstacle you will have to address.

11. Pray before the ride. Every car I see I pretend will do the stupidest thing possible so I give myself an escape route in every instance I can.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #29
ChrisGo

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

11. Pray before the ride. Every car I see I pretend will do the stupidest thing possible so I give myself an escape route in every instance I can.[/QUOTE]

12. I dont ride any road at a "spirited" pace that I can't ride in my mind (eyes closed)

13. I anticipate that every vehicle I pass is going to swerve into me and that every intersection will have a car pulling out in front of me

14. Travel 5mph faster than the speed limit
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #30
level5
moving chicane

I think we are just lucky to be alive but if we continue to ride like that our chances and number might come up soon.

Gears would definitely be a factor of survival.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #31
rideForrestride

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Just a matter of time.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #32
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #33
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

11. Pray before the ride. Every car I see I pretend will do the stupidest thing possible so I give myself an escape route in every instance I can.[/quote]

12. I dont ride any road at a "spirited" pace that I can't ride in my mind (eyes closed)

13. I anticipate that every vehicle I pass is going to swerve into me and that every intersection will have a car pulling out in front of me

15. Cover your brakes in situations that seem questionable

16. Be in the right gear to speed up or engine break

17. Check over your shoulders, mirrors are never 100% accurate

18. Dont go over hills at 160mph, you never know whats on the other side
Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #34
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
im not talking about anyone that is no longer with us bc some were pretty skilled.

however, and this is just my opinion and im not referring to myself either, bc i was pretty slow on the streets/ a turtle next to u fellas.

--u2 and a few others are more gifted and more educated on ur machine then others. Especially when it comes to streets. Some, just by chance dont wreck on some rides, but they arent smart enough to be able to repeat chance like that everytime. More ppl can go fast on a track with such open space then a street road with single lanes. Street takes a particular set of skills-especially at those speeds. I think some of the folks possess a gift and talent that many others cant measure up to.
this is a very true statement. has alot to do with the street scenario. also like dustin said, ride with friends or people you know.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #35
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Don't forget plain, old-fashion luck.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #36
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

drag knee. everywhere.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #37
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

11. Pray before the ride. Every car I see I pretend will do the stupidest thing possible so I give myself an escape route in every instance I can.[/quote]

19. Do track days.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #38
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

11. Pray before the ride. Every car I see I pretend will do the stupidest thing possible so I give myself an escape route in every instance I can.

19. Do RIDESMART track days.[/QUOTE]

fixored
Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #39
boner12
Mexican Kanevil

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06, 636 ( bulletproof)
99 zx9r sold
2010 ducati streetfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

19. Do track days.[/QUOTE]

20. Learn from past mistakes and experiences
Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #40
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
OK, I don't know how "worthy" my contribution is here but.....I know I can't handle the triple digits speed flying through turns, so I just don't do it.
Knowing your honest limits and practicing the self restraint to not exceed them are probably two of the most important ones actually.

To whoever said they'd rather be dead if they wrecked at 100+ you're crazy.

I ride like a little now sadly. I haven't been on the bike in a month, and I honestly can't remember the last twisty road I rode down. Considering how much fun I used to have on 1291 that's probably a good thing.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement