Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
This Flip Rides Nekkid
Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I don't care much for them, either aesthetically or adjustment wise.
IMO the Suburban Machinery bars are nicer and fit most configurations although they're not adjustable.
If you want adjustability, take a good look at the Convertibars, as they offer adjustment in any way you can imagine.

Keep in mind, these Thar-Bars are prototypes, and I'm pretty sure the final product will have a nicer finish. In fact, these are not finished out at all. They look "heavy" in the pics, but they are surprisingly light! Once he makes the center section in stainless steel, complete with calibration scores/lines, and puts a finish coat on it, I think it'll look really nice. The horns are the only thing that kinda make it look funky (in pics), but like I said before, in real life they look pretty cool.. . AND they can be cut off. I do think it's a love it or hate it design, though. I think the Suburban Machinery bars get the same reaction, as well. Aesthetically, they look very similar to SM bars, especially if you cut the horns off after you've positioned them to your liking.

Regarding the SM bars, the adjustability is minimal, imo, and probably not much better than Clubmans. It's simply a fixed design. With certain bikes, like the 919 being 1 example (and from feedback I've read from other 919 owners), it can really only be configured one way to clear the tank at full lock. I'm sure other Nakeds may have the same issue.

I checked out the Convertibars (in more detail) website, and I remember they do allow the bar ends to adjust on a pivot, thereby allowing adjustment in virtually any angle imaginable, as you mentioned. The bar ends on the Thar-Bars are fixed to the clamp. So yeah, I may be wrong when I said the Thar-Bars offer more adjustability than the Convertibars.

I believe that ultimately, I was gonna buy the Convertibars if this opportunity to beta-test the Thar-Bars had not come my way! That being said, and having had this opportunity to test them out myself, I am very impressed with the adjustability of these bars. I think if he prices it somewhere between the price of SM bars and Convertibars, he's gonna get a fair share of the market. It's considerably more adjustable than any other "fixed" bar out there, including SM bars at $165, but less adjustable than Convertibars at $339. IMO, If he can sell these Thar-Bars at $200 or less, then he's got a viable product. If he can sell them for the same price of SM bars, at $165, then I think he'll blow the SM bars outta the water.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote