MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2006, 06:24 AM   #41
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by zixx6r
So why the does ethanol get your attention... ADD? It will NEVER get us off foreign oil. Add up the subsidies, the tax breaks, the lower energy per volume, the cost to produce through distillation...there is absolutely no net gain here. Same with hydrogen power.

The only thing proven through modern history to end dependance on foreign oil is fischer-tropsch. Germany and Apartheid South Africa used coal to produce gasoline and diesel. We have much more coal reserves than petroleum, this is the only thing that makes sense.
:laughing6 And... Why are you the only one who is harping about Fischer-Tropsch? Do you have a stake in its r&d? Dont understand your negativity man. Cranky sob.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ethanol - Response from Washington DGShannon General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 08-30-2012 07:13 PM
Ethanol Testing for Fuel CaligoneTx How To's and Q & A's 22 01-19-2009 10:55 PM
SV650 and Gas w/Ethanol Jason_Canuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 09-01-2008 09:14 AM
Ethanol sucks. lol Solracer Performance and Modifications 33 08-15-2008 12:54 AM
Ethanol Info!!!!! jetcycles General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 06-14-2007 11:00 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #42
zixx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
Proven??? if its such a hot idea, why isnt it in use??Jackass. Add..
2 reasons: because coal has a bad name in this country, and gasoline is traditionally cheaper per BTU produced than anything out there, even now, because it's very easy to produce efficiently. coal gasification is in heavy production in south africa because of their import sanction days, but when we think coal we think belching stacks (old tech power plants) and WV coal mines killing miners...and gasoline has been cheap for so long there has been no need. Once gas prices go up more as supplies get tight, this will become mainstream...you wont notice because the fuel itself wont change, just the source.

blending ethanol at 10% is fine, throw the corn fed some scrap pork, but converting to an ethanol economy that eliminates the use of fossil fuels is not scaleable for the US economy and gets us nowhere. That's not opinion, that's fact.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:15 AM   #43
2KBUSA

Bike(s):
zx14r

Send a message via AIM to 2KBUSA Send a message via Yahoo to 2KBUSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
never had a prob. w/ det. when commuting during the 4:00 rush hour, and i bet most eng. comps. can compensate for the lower octane by retarding the timing, these aren't carbed bikes. but then again i'm not a "pro: like you guy's..

i haven't seen any E85 in houston, i see it in Kansas when we go back there.
if your friend has a busa and keeps putting that cheap fuel his bike will blow...
true it makes more power but hurts the motor....the busa needs to run above 91oct....i hope he put at least 89oct he may be ok....but hey i am not a pro just leting you know what i was told by a pro that works on them and told me why he had one with 13k on it blowen motor..
Old 04-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #44
2KBUSA

Bike(s):
zx14r

Send a message via AIM to 2KBUSA Send a message via Yahoo to 2KBUSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by john @ks
yeah shell now is putting 10% ethanol in there gas too. u cant run 100% in bikes b\c the fuel system can not take it. it will ruin the o rings and the screens. to convert the bike u would have to change all the rubber peaces in the fuel system. if u have carbs u have to change the fuel lines out to a special type of fuel lines. anything above 60% i think u have to change parts out.
hey jt thanks for all the work on the bike.....
Old 04-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #45
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306stang
if your friend has a busa and keeps putting that cheap fuel his bike will blow...
true it makes more power but hurts the motor....the busa needs to run above 91oct....i hope he put at least 89oct he may be ok....but hey i am not a pro just leting you know what i was told by a pro that works on them and told me why he had one with 13k on it blowen motor..
he only had about 50k on it last i talked w/ him.........../shrug
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:30 PM   #46
john @ks

Bike(s):
sv-1000, rd-400, gsx-r 750

well the problem with running under the octane lvl that is suggested is that it will start making the lower end go out. then the valves get way too hot then can bend. also u can burn a hole threw the piston but hey ur friend can run it if he wants. when he has to have his motor rebuild he might learn his lesson. Suzuki knows what it is doing and doesn't tell u to do thing for no reason.
mon- sat
9am-7pm

gsxr-750 89"
sv-1000 05"
rd-400 79"
john @ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:35 AM   #47
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Hey john, does your dad know how to post? Id LOVE to have his comments and wisdom on here.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:14 AM   #48
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

I hope this answers all your questions on Ethanol. It can be derived from corn, wheat, potato wastes, cheese whey, rice straw, sawdust, urban wastes, paper mill wastes, yard clippings, molasses, sugar cane,maize, seaweed, surplus food crops, and other cellulose waste. All you need is a still. Henry Ford designed the famed Model T Ford to run on alcohol -- he said it was "the fuel of the future". The oil companies thought otherwise, however -- but the oil crisis of the early 1970s gave ethanol fuel a new lease of life. The US now uses more than 15 billion gallons of cleaner, ethanol-blended petrol a year, totalling 12% of fuel sales in the US. Most of it is a 10% blend, but 85% and even 95% blends are now being tested.

The benefits

Ethanol is a much cleaner fuel than petrol (gasoline):

* It is a renewable fuel made from plants
* It is not a fossil-fuel: manufacturing it and burning it does not increase the greenhouse effect
* It provides high octane at low cost as an alternative to harmful fuel additives
* Ethanol blends can be used in all petrol engines without modifications
* Ethanol is biodegradable without harmful effects on the environment
* It significantly reduces harmful exhaust emissions
* Ethanol's high oxygen content reduces carbon monoxide levels more than any other oxygenate: by 25-30%, according to the US EPA
* Ethanol blends dramatically reduce emissions of hydrocarbons, a major contributor to the depletion of the ozone layer
* High-level ethanol blends reduce nitrogen oxide emissions by up to 20%
* Ethanol can reduce net carbon dioxide emissions by up to 100% on a full life-cycle basis
* High-level ethanol blends can reduce emissions of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) by 30% or more (VOCs are major sources of ground-level ozone formation)
* As an octane enhancer, ethanol can cut emissions of cancer-causing benzene and butadiene by more than 50%
* Sulphur dioxide and Particulate Matter (PM) emissions are significantly decreased with ethanol.

Ethanol is a very high octane fuel, replacing lead as an octane enhancer in gasoline.

Fuels that burn too quickly make the engine "knock". The higher the octane rating, the slower the fuel burns, and the less likely the engine will knock.

When ethanol is blended with gasoline, the octane rating of the petrol goes up by three full points, without using harmful additives.

Adding ethanol to gasoline "oxygenates" the fuel, adding oxygen to the fuel mixture so that it burns more completely and reduces polluting emissions such as carbon monoxide.

Ethanol and ETBE oxygenator, made from ethanol, are much safer than the toxic and polluting MTBE fossil-fuel-derived oxygenator used by oil companies
*** I found more comments from an E85 supporter. Thought I would add them into the thread****JROCK does not profess to have any knowledge of this subject- therefore flaming him is prohibited.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
Old 04-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #49
john @ks

Bike(s):
sv-1000, rd-400, gsx-r 750

well he has been super sick the past 3 weeks but i will ask if he wants to when he gets better. also i got a riddle for u all but lets see if u can get it right. what is the number 1 greenhouse gas in the air and the number 2?
mon- sat
9am-7pm

gsxr-750 89"
sv-1000 05"
rd-400 79"
john @ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #50
BrutusTx

Member Garage

The MTBE that they had been putting in the gas was FAR more corrosive than the alchohol/ethanol they are putting in now so you should only have a problem on real old bikes/cars with it eating up gaskets/o-rings.......probably the biggest differance you'll see is gas mileage may go down some. But if they have had gas run through them in the last 15 yrs the ethanol shouldn't be a problem. Most stations will have at least 10% ethanol by the end of the year no matter where you are.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:39 PM   #51
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
so will that affect any thing with this new 10% blend. Could this cause any problems in the long run. Im all for it, evan with a bike its so gay to be paying $3 a gallon for gas and on top of that we havent evan hit memorial day when the prices take a huge hike. How much does everyone think we will be paying this summer for gas?
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:16 AM   #52
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by john @ks
well he has been super sick the past 3 weeks but i will ask if he wants to when he gets better. also i got a riddle for u all but lets see if u can get it right. what is the number 1 greenhouse gas in the air and the number 2?
the gas that i pass after a big bowl Wolf brand chili:laughing6 :laughing6
Old 04-18-2006, 12:19 AM   #53
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody1010
so will that affect any thing with this new 10% blend. Could this cause any problems in the long run. Im all for it, evan with a bike its so gay to be paying $3 a gallon for gas and on top of that we havent evan hit memorial day when the prices take a huge hike. How much does everyone think we will be paying this summer for gas?
some one had a thread about cheap gas station prices---bit what are the prices like now??? in general?????

Advertisement