MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

College Station Riders...

This letter was forwarded to me asking if I could post...

You might have heard of a motorcycle accident that happened on Wellborn Road on September 8. The rider ran a red light and hit a car waiting in the intersection to make a left turn. The riderís name was Robert King and he was a friend of mine. Iím not going to sit here and tell you we were best friends and always hung out together. We only went on one bike ride together and had partied together a few times. Nevertheless he was someone who I would consider a friend. We were on the same football team in high school and more importantly, he was a fellow motorcyclist on the road. One mistake cost him his life at the age of 20. This has had a great effect on me and has inspired me to start up a club promoting safe street riding. Iím not aware of any clubs for young motorcyclists in the College Station area, so I think itís time that we make one. Iím not sure how I will go about organizing it. I love being on 2 wheels more than anything and I do enjoy going fast. However there are designated tracks for speeding and pushing the limit that are in a safe, controlled environment. Pushing the limit on the street is something that shouldnít be done and itís took one of my friendís lives to really make me stand behind that. With enough support we can have something that all riders in our area can associate ourselves with. We are already brothers through our bikes, now letís band together and watch over each other. Some will look down on the fact that I donít any longer promote stupid riding. But the people who do are the ones that are going to end up wishing they wouldíve reconsidered the way they rode. Iím not sure when our first meeting will be, but hopefully soon if I can get enough of you to support me. This could be the beginning of something great, help make it happen. Please call me if youíre interested.

Nick Marlow
832-349-0054
__________________________________________________ _

My understanding is that the first "official" meeting is to be Thursday, Sept 17 at 7PM at the NTB store (behind the Home Depot). I believe they are actually holding a planning meeting this evening.

See if you can make it to the meeting and get this kicked off right...
AFS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
College Station Area Riders.... AFS_Racing Off Topic 9 09-14-2009 08:54 PM
College Station Riders DaveJHotch General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 03-31-2009 07:51 PM
college station riders?!? civic boy General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 05-29-2006 07:03 PM
ATTN: COLLEGE STATION RIDERS Gimpin2Fold Off Topic 23 03-15-2006 04:26 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
RAS_Houston

Bike(s):
2005 R1

good post...they need it!

SIDE note.... they have a track 5 minutes away!!! I hope someone brings that up!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS_Houston View Post
good post...they need it!

SIDE note.... they have a track 5 minutes away!!! I hope someone brings that up!
I don't think the track would of mattered because of the accident. Was really bad.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
RAS_Houston

Bike(s):
2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNinja650 View Post
I don't think the track would of mattered because of the accident. Was really bad.
O i agree completely.... 110% agree with you. I was just stating, I hope they bring it up for discussion. And...... I hope they talk about wearing gear. When i was up there a few weeks ago i saw NO ONE wearing lids much less pants and a jacket.... Anyways, not bashing what they are doing and i think its great. Was pondering the thought of going up there to see the girls this weekend. 2 bad their meeting is thursday or I would join them for support.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Dr Strangelove
Rider's Edge

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
07 R6
71 TS 185

Badass! There is a huge problem here with gear and safety, that needs to be addressed. Im gonna get in on this for sure!
Dr Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS_Houston View Post
O i agree completely.... 110% agree with you. I was just stating, I hope they bring it up for discussion. And...... I hope they talk about wearing gear. When i was up there a few weeks ago i saw NO ONE wearing lids much less pants and a jacket.... Anyways, not bashing what they are doing and i think its great. Was pondering the thought of going up there to see the girls this weekend. 2 bad their meeting is thursday or I would join them for support.
Wasn't trying to bash either. My apologies if I came off wrong. Gear in a college town is a rarity. I'm not a gear but I just wish more would just take the moment to think about the outcomes or "what if's" before turning the key and twisting the throttle.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
RAS_Houston

Bike(s):
2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNinja650 View Post
Wasn't trying to bash either. My apologies if I came off wrong. Gear in a college town is a rarity. I'm not a gear but I just wish more would just take the moment to think about the outcomes or "what if's" before turning the key and twisting the throttle.
Thomas, its all good... nothing taken wrong
Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Desmorider

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple
RVF 400
KTM 450
Drixton Honda 450
Mondial 175

I met the referenced rider only 4 weeks ago. I gave him a card with my name, phone number and e-mail address and invited him to contact me when we could go for a ride together, and pointed out the TAMUMC club website and the meeting place and time. I was sickened by the news that he was lost in this accident and now I will not have the opportunity to get to know him and ride with him and become friends, as I have with so many other students at A&M and other local riders. My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends.

I have been working through the TAMUMC club for years, with students and staff even before the formality of the club, and organized many, many rides with them. This organization was effective for several years but is less so now. I have dirt track facilities/TT/flat tracks that I have used in the past to assist riders in learning to let bikes move around under them. I have taken motorcycles to TAMU open house in support of the club every year for the last 4 years until this most recent event, when I had a scheduling conflict. I have spent so much time on my pulpit around town with young riders, trying to pound into them the need to ride a reasonable horsepower bike as their first machine, to use the MSF courses to brush up and/or learn basic skills, and to WEAR protective gear ON EVERY RIDE, even if it is hot and even if it is just down the street to grab a bite to eat, to slow down on the street and go to the track to experience higher levels of learning and riding skills, that most of them have heard the sermons 3 or 4 times. The club was so dedicated to going on track that they were able to obtain a discount from Dave Wonders for RideSmart days, and they were avid users. I went out for one track day and there were 7 A&M students out there! Those guys effectively learned skills (especially mental and visual skills) they were able to pass on to other club members, too, so this is how knowledge spreads.

Cains on Texas Avenue in College Station is the site for the TAMU MC club to meet every Tuesday night around 8 PM. Please check it out. My relationships with riders at TAMU go back to classes in the 70's, and I still have great friends I have met through TAMU and motorcycle riding. Whether you ride or not, it is a great place to meet people that enjoy motorcycles.

Please PM me if you are interested in discussing this further or getting together sometime in CS.

The TAMUMC website is unfortunately suffering a technical difficulty and is down. When it is restored, I will post up the website. BTW, I received news of this thread from a former TAMU MC member via e-mail, who suggested that I might post up, so I joined tonite specifically for this purpose.

Again, RIP Robert.

Desmorider

Last edited by Desmorider; 09-14-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Desmorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
VenaSera
I pwn!

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Member Garage

Hey Desmorider! I think I know who you are. We met one day at open house last year when you had your DesmoRR out there?

But yes, I agree with meeting up with TAMUMC. Great group of guys and gals who are generally very safety conscious. I should be up at Canes tomorrow for anybody that wants to join.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Desmorider

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple
RVF 400
KTM 450
Drixton Honda 450
Mondial 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiRider600 View Post
Hey Desmorider! I think I know who you are. We met one day at open house last year when you had your DesmoRR out there?

But yes, I agree with meeting up with TAMUMC. Great group of guys and gals who are generally very safety conscious. I should be up at Canes tomorrow for anybody that wants to join.
Yep, that was me. If nothing comes up, I too will be in attendence tomorrow evening. We need to stir the pot on wearing gear and riding skills. You may recall my description of the accident I suffered almost 3 years ago on FM 16 outside Kerrville. Had I not been wearing all of my gear, I would be dead or as good as. Wearing a brand new Shoei X-11, I went over the bars of a KTM in a real beginners mistake and landed on my head, face first. I took a 15 minute nap in the middle of the road. My point is that regardless of skill & experience, anybody can make a mistake or find themselves intersecting with another vehicle or animal and go down. But developing skills can allow avoidance in many cases, and I have a list of close calls that only my skills and experience guided me through unscathed. I have been riding for almost 40 years, so that's a lot of miles and I am still learning.

See you there.

Last edited by Desmorider; 09-14-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
VenaSera
I pwn!

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Member Garage

Great! See you there!

Everybody else in the area should come out, get some chicken and talk about motorcycles!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
Desmorider

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple
RVF 400
KTM 450
Drixton Honda 450
Mondial 175

TAMU MC website is now back up and running:

http://tamumc.org/
Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
JDuc

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2005 Ducati 749R
2002 Ducati 900SS
SV650 Track Bike

While I'm saddened to see this, I'm happy to see that the club that I put so much time and effort into has been put back into business.

Perhaps I should give a bit of background about who I am and why I say this.

My name is Jan Bennett (perhaps known better by some of you as Jan Sanders?). I was the founding officer & web master of the TAMUMC when we revitalized it back in 2004 I believe it was.

Starting that club from the ground up was one of the hardest things I've ever done, to this date. I made a lot of enemies doing so, but I don't regret a moment of it, because I also made more life long friends than I ever could have imagined.

I will warn ANYONE who steps into the line of starting a club, even anyone who starts into the line of trying to get one back on its feet. You should have an extremely SOLID ground with the TAMUMC. I poured my heart and soul into the foundations of that club. I don't think those who were even involved in the slightest had a clue of what all was involved until after I left A&M upon graduation. I spoke with Adam a few times after graduation, and only then did he admit to me that he was overwhelmed with all of the behind the scenes things that had to be taken care of with a university level organization.

Yes, you will hear that a lot. And yes, you will get tired of hearing it.

Unless you have the unwavering support of all of those involved, you will run into nightmare after nightmare after nightmare.

Having said ALL of that, I am here to lend a helping hand, still. Granted, I've probably forgotten more than I remember, but I might, just might still have the original documents that I drafted for the club all on disc as backups.

This is of course, if you're wanting to still have it as an officially sanctioned TAMU org. Which, if you're going to claim the TAMU name, you have to have, otherwise, you must wipe the TAMU name from the org.

My original intention for starting the org was to promote safety among college aged riders as well as to promote awareness among the community for motorcyclist, because I was so tired of seeing illequipped riders and unaware student drivers. However, those in the club with me, who wanted to start the club with me, had different intentions all together. They just wanted a group of people to ride with and saw little to no value to actually having a formal 'club' if you will.

So in short, if you want to start a club, make sure you have a group of people who have the same goals and visions as you, and ensure you don't stray from that purpose. The club can still venture into the other areas of sport riding, track riding, cruisers, etc. Just make sure that the primary focus of the club is met, first and foremost, and that all members of the club understand it from the start.

EDIT: sorry if this seems to be a bit of a ramble...I'm sitting at work right now, and it's difficult to get a coherent thought out while going back and forth between work and this post...lol
JDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
Desmorider

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple
RVF 400
KTM 450
Drixton Honda 450
Mondial 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuc View Post
While I'm saddened to see this, I'm happy to see that the club that I put so much time and effort into has been put back into business.
FYI: The club was never out of business since your formation of it, and has been quite robust, with annual (and more) organized weekend hill country rides under AMA insurance policies for all members, and regular wrench nights and other activities, including a regular rides forum, although that was shut down for a few months while the university decided how it wanted to assuage liabilities; it is now open with revised posting and riding rules. It is still a university (TAMU) sanctioned organization and has never faltered in that regard since inception. The website was down for only a few days due to a technical glitch and is now up and running again.

I think the club has been very successfull in its roll to promote safe riding. Several members have graduated and gone into their professional lives while continuing to ride and in some cases, race. Several members have successfully raced in the Texas Mini GP. To watch college aged riders go from learning to ride to competitive racing is good, and the skills get shared and the philosophy of slowing down on the street and riding responsibly are repeated by these members, where riders inclined to be competitive are guided towards a track environment or bear the brunt of peer pressure to ride within their limits. Every ride I attend with the group has a period where new people introduce themselves and talk about their skill levels, what they like and don't like, and where their riding concerns are concentrated. A good session insues with talk about how to deal with certain riding challenges that come up. Various publications are mentioned and the Pace is almost always a topic for discussion: it is always emphasized that riders must ride within their comfort zone.

If anyone here is looking for an environment for learning and safe riding, I suggest you get involved with this club. It is a dues oriented club, but they are very reasonable and well worth every cent. Please check it out if you have not in the past. What you can learn there is valuable, and the friendships can last a lifetime. It is NOT a requirement that you pay dues, but it helps the club meet its expenses.

Last edited by Desmorider; 09-15-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
VenaSera
I pwn!

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Member Garage

Desmorider, while I do agree with everything you listed above does occur, I think she is mostly concentrating on the lack of outward involvement. From what I've seen most of the interaction is inside the organization with people who know its there and/or joined on their own. I think her initial goal was for a more public involvement in the community and student body. I haven't seen any public awareness campaigns, fundraisers, or much else. Other than the open house booth, the org seems to disappear within itself. I know I would like to see more involvement with people outside of the group. People handing out fliers asking to "look twice" for motorcycles, maybe pamphlets with suggested methods to get into riding, more outreach to those who don't use proper gear around town to educate the dangers, educate cagers on the dangers they pose to us, etc.

Maybe these are ideas we could bring up tonight. I think if there was more involvement with the student body, the org would grow exponentially and be more influential. Heck, I might even pay dues if it weren't just to hang out and eat.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
Desmorider

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple
RVF 400
KTM 450
Drixton Honda 450
Mondial 175

Quote:
Desmorider, while I do agree with everything you listed above does occur, I think she is mostly concentrating on the lack of outward involvement. From what I've seen most of the interaction is inside the organization with people who know its there and/or joined on their own. I think her initial goal was for a more public involvement in the community and student body. I haven't seen any public awareness campaigns, fundraisers, or much else. Other than the open house booth, the org seems to disappear within itself. I know I would like to see more involvement with people outside of the group. People handing out fliers asking to "look twice" for motorcycles, maybe pamphlets with suggested methods to get into riding, more outreach to those who don't use proper gear around town to educate the dangers, educate cagers on the dangers they pose to us, etc.

Maybe these are ideas we could bring up tonight. I think if there was more involvement with the student body, the org would grow exponentially and be more influential. Heck, I might even pay dues if it weren't just to hang out and eat.
I am in agreement with you. Proactive involvement is the key, but it requires a lot of effort. At the 08' open house, I passed out about 14 personal contact cards for exactly that purpose. I got exactly 0 follow ups.

Now I will be the first to say that a few younger riders are not always interested in going out with an old fat fart like me to ride. Regardless, I continue to persist in my efforts, but I go beyond the club to ride with people I meet through my shop in Bryan, and I have travelled to the other shops in town and brought up my desires.....that is not enough. We recently sold a motorcycle to an inexperienced rider (he had only scooter experience) who I felt needed further instruction, and after I questioned him and asked him to demonstrate his riding ability in our parking lot, I requested that he come back to pick up the motorcycle AFTER completion of the local MSF course. He did just that.

I think that if all of the dealerships in town would go along, a drive with posted circulars for TAMU MC gatherings would bring more people in. We should propose that tonight.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
JDuc

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2005 Ducati 749R
2002 Ducati 900SS
SV650 Track Bike

Quote:

ding ding ding! Bingo!

This was the #1 issue I ran into when forming the club.

The initial members didn't see the value in this and only wanted a group of people to hang out with and shoot the breeze. Any time I mentioned these events they were met with little to no interest with the excuse of "I don't have time", "I have to study", etc. Yet EVERYONE managed to find time to ride quite a bit...

Thus the reason I became quite flustered with the whole thing...no need for an organized club if all you want to do is meet up and ride...

I brought up such things as posting flyers, as going to the highest incident intersections in town for MC accidents and standing in gear to raise awareness, holding more MSF classes by getting some members to become MSF certified to teach more classes since the current MSF classes are backed up months and months and months at a time, toys for tots rides, etc. All met with resistance once it actually came down to DOING it.

We also wanted to approach the university about more fair MC parking on campus. We even went so far as to have a few articles in the Bat about the issue to raise awareness. Tried to get the issues where they wouldn't allow MCs in the garages addressed too.

There were a number of issues that the club could have addressed back then, and I imagine that there are a number more issues that the club could address now.

If y'all can ACTUALLY get people to go along, sweet! I'm all for it!

I see that the forum was updated a while back. I have popped in every few months since graduating and noted that only up until the last year or so was the web page actually updated. In fact, I sent the current web master an email about 2 months ago, never to receive a return email. Sorry if my comment about being back in business touched a nerve.
JDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #18
Desmorider

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple
RVF 400
KTM 450
Drixton Honda 450
Mondial 175

The current MSF courses are not currently backed up by months and months and months at a time. Open dates for training at Training Wheels are available for October of this year. One of the members of TAMU MC is an instructor with that company.

One of the drills I have undertaken as a member of the club is a shallow forensic corner examination. I have several stops noted on a map and we ride out and look over the corner and discuss potential problems in making it safely through the corner. The last thing we do is walk the outside and inside of the turns and note how many brands of motorcycle parts we can find that remain from accidents in that turn. This performs a valuable lesson in the realities of mistakes over the road.

The erroneous comment re: the club being back in business struck no nerve with me. I simply want to state facts as I know them, just as I have above. I wouldn't want people to think that they cannot get MSF training for months and months and months at a time and base their decision not to try when in fact it is available in less than one month at the local business, according to their recorded message as of today.

Last edited by Desmorider; 09-15-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Advertisement