MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
zimmer

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Honda CBR 1000
2010 Honda Sabre

Might also mention that Paramedics can not operate as anything but a Basic when not covered under protocols. A paramedic works under written protocols from a Doctor when he is at work. Some services will have protocols to cover them off duty, like Volunteer services and First Responder organizations, but not all. The majority of medics at a track day (not the ambulance) would legally be able to perform BLS only.
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EMS that responded to my accident on_one General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-10-2014 10:52 PM
Fire/EMS Scanner Broadcast Pyrofallout Off Topic 134 08-21-2009 02:33 AM
Heard EMS last night hazmat2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 09-24-2007 10:42 AM
EMS Motorcycles bentgixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 08-29-2006 11:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #22
psychomedicHFD
CMRA Expert #65

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Yamaha R1 Race bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
After being a Paramedic for the last 20 years, I'd say that I don't care either way. Not a whole lot more a Paramedic can do that a EMT can't do other than intubation; and in the country (where most of these tracks are) a lot of the medical directors do those ALS cross-over skills where the EMT does do intubations or combi-tubes or even EGTA...

Most of the tracks contract with private or volunteer EMS providers, so the Paramedics you get are usually transfer medics anyway with little to no practical application of emergency experiences. That's one of the reasons my bosses like me to be around; and the CMRA has folks on staff that are EMT's as well. Not paid to be there in that capacity, but can certainly offer help to the ones that are paid to be there as a nice piece of mind.

There's been a few threads on this bbs about this topic, it's been hashed out before.

As far as what Brandt (CDill) is referring to I can't comment; but it's true that we (track day providers) pay the EMS, but we don't contract them- the tracks do that. There's a big difference. All of the tracks have a provider that they contract with, and LSTD has no input to that, we just tell 'em what we want. Maybe Ride Smart does it differently, but I doubt it- I guess Brandt will have to speak on that for Ride Smart.
Not talking bout just the skills(I can teach a monkey to do the skills)...as you know the knowledge that we obtain is far more than a basic....and you are right alot of these guys are transfer folks that do lack the 911 experience, but when push comes to shove.....well I am going to try not to give those guys a chance to work on me.
psychomedicHFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #23
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
Might also mention that Paramedics can not operate as anything but a Basic when not covered under protocols. A paramedic works under written protocols from a Doctor when he is at work. Some services will have protocols to cover them off duty, like Volunteer services and First Responder organizations, but not all. The majority of medics at a track day (not the ambulance) would legally be able to perform BLS only.
That's why they contract with a private or volunteer EMS most of the time. Cresson is the only one that is contracted to a track that is a 911 service and not volunteer 911 at any of the tracks we go to. That's how they "legally" provide ALS at track days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychomedicHFD View Post
Not talking bout just the skills(I can teach a monkey to do the skills)...as you know the knowledge that we obtain is far more than a basic....and you are right alot of these guys are transfer folks that do lack the 911 experience, but when push comes to shove.....well I am going to try not to give those guys a chance to work on me.

Right on, I don't care if they staff Dr Duke at the track, I don't want to give anyone the chance either!

Brandt, like I mentioned, I don't know how Dave does it- but I know how it works for us. Maybe yall do it differently but we don't contract with the ambulance; we pay 'em, but we don't pick 'em.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #24
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Im a Basic....I need a Job! DO I LOOK LIKE A MONKEY! FUGGER!
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #25
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
Im a Basic....I need a Job! DO I LOOK LIKE A MONKEY! FUGGER!
If you're on a box at HFD (Home For the ----), then yeah, you're about as close to a monkey as they come!

j/k, yall do a wonderful job of gomer totin'.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #26
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

That aint no chit...GOMERs FTMFW.....

14YOBF: i need a pregnancy test!....
AMB51:And you called 911...BECAUSE........
14YOBF:You have to take me, I have INSURANCE..I have MEDICAID...and if I call You have to take me....I WANNA GO TO BEN TAUB or else Im gonna call your Supervisor and tell them you dont want to take me....
Amb 51 Fuuuuuuuk! They know the system!
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #27
bentgixxer

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
I has no bike :(
'14 Polaris 550 touring

Send a message via Yahoo to bentgixxer
Quote:

14YOBF:You have to take me, I have INSURANCE..I have MEDICAID...and if I call You have to take me....I WANNA GO TO BEN TAUB or else Im gonna call your Supervisor and tell them you dont want to take me....
i bet she had her bags packed too!!

i love trying to explain to folks that we ONLY transport to ER's, and they want to go to the doctors office.
We'll call it Corpsefish and Horsenuts.
bentgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #28
psychomedicHFD
CMRA Expert #65

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Yamaha R1 Race bike

Quote:

I think I made that call....
psychomedicHFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #29
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychomedicHFD View Post
I think I made that call....
I know I did... about 400 times in one year...
Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #30
kenup283

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

at TWS (Texas World Speedway) the Hospital is only 5 mins away (maybe 10 min with traffic), people could drive themselves. The only hesitation I would have is if you get faster serivce at the ER by showing up on the bus vs walking into the waiting room. But somthing tells me if your not laid out on a board the ER will just drop you off anyway. Not sure though.

I started bringing directions to the nearest Hospital in my box with the rest of my track day gear. I've gone as far as doing a drive by to learn how to get there, for those that are'nt as easy to find. Last time I was at TWS (Texas World Speedway) I gave them to someone who wanted to follow their buddy who was in the Ambulance.

Having copies of the directions available at the registation desk would be helpful for some people (particularly if no insurance) who could drive selves or have a friend who can drive them.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #31
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

That is actually a very good idea, I'll start doing that myself.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #32
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
at TWS (Texas World Speedway) the Hospital is only 5 mins away (maybe 10 min with traffic), people could drive themselves. The only hesitation I would have is if you get faster serivce at the ER by showing up on the bus vs walking into the waiting room. But somthing tells me if your not laid out on a board the ER will just drop you off anyway. Not sure though.
A very popular misconception, it is untrue however. You WILL NOT be seen "faster" by showing up via ambulance.

I can't tell you the number of folks who believe that and get dropped off in the waiting room after the RN triages them. Most of the time I think it's kinda funny...

Taking yourself to the ER is always a good idea if you're able or have a friend that can drive you there. IMHO, the ambulance is for life threatening emergencies, not for "I need to be checked out" (that saying makes me cringe every time I've heard it) or for boo-boo finger, broken collar bone, sprained ankle... etc.

Now, if you have a fractured femur, hip, flail chest, sucking chest wound, hemi or full paralysis, etc, take the ride in the box, that's what it's there for. Also listen to the medics, if they tell you you NEED to go in the ambulance, chances are they're seeing/ hearing something they consider to be a problem necessitating ambulance transport for you.

Just use common sense.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #33
SunnyR6

Bike(s):
Saigon BB125 with a kitty basket on front.
09 Yamaha R-1 with a GSXR 1000 motor

Good post,I like imformative reads
SunnyR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #34
kingralphthe3rd
larry's fan club manager

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 1K (SOLD!!) 08 GSXR 750 & 07 DIZZER 400, 09 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyR6 View Post
Good post,I like imformative reads
sunny sunny sunny
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #35
SunnyR6

Bike(s):
Saigon BB125 with a kitty basket on front.
09 Yamaha R-1 with a GSXR 1000 motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingralphthe3rd View Post
sunny sunny sunny
I'm home early and waiting for the misses to bring dinner home.I'm zoned out on the interweb.
SunnyR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #36
kingralphthe3rd
larry's fan club manager

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 1K (SOLD!!) 08 GSXR 750 & 07 DIZZER 400, 09 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyR6 View Post
I'm home early and waiting for the misses to bring dinner home.I'm zoned out on the interweb.
YOU WANNA **** ON ME
Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #37
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingralphthe3rd View Post
YOU WANNA **** ON ME
when did this thread turn ghey?
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #38
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Just an FYI to this thread (specifically to the event last Monday at TWS (Texas World Speedway)), the Ambulance service sends another ambulance to the track when another one leaves. However, that is based on availability. The company sends one if it's available or we have to wait for it to return. Apparently last Monday they were busy and 1 or 2 of the times we had to wait for them to come back.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement