MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

sv front spark plug is not firing

im not sure if it's the plug or the wire, but the end of the plug wire used to make a popping sound when i ran it with it unplugged from the spark plug. it either doesnt make that sound now, or i couldnt hear it.
the spark plug looks old, but i have no clue how old. it could probably use a replacement anyways.
sooo... im hoping that someone knows a great way to fix it.
its not water in the front cyl like i had originally thought. i took the plug out and ran the engine with the front plug out, to blow out any precipitation like i have done in the last 2 times this has happened. it didnt make any change once i got it all back together.
another reason why i think this is a plug/plug wire problem is because when i rode it with a flooded front cylinder, power could be iffy. it would go from half to full power at random. this time is different though. the front is dead and stays dead.

this really sucks because my wife and kids are in the car, at my parents house, where we were going separately so that among other things, i could do some work on the bike for fun while we were there :P
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is my spark plug giving a good spark? dosequisxx How To's and Q & A's 8 01-12-2014 10:26 PM
Spark Plug brentkhack Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 8 03-15-2012 02:15 PM
Spark plug analysis help zombiejesus Off Topic 21 10-01-2010 02:42 PM
Spark Plug replacement. Vividkid General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-30-2009 10:38 AM
Spark Plug Help Please!!! NorthHoustonGSXR How To's and Q & A's 12 01-17-2008 09:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

also, if i need to replace the plug wire, how do i do that? i didnt see a way to dissconnect it without possibly breaking something
Old 09-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

the spark plug boot screws on to the wire.
the wire should have a knurled nut that holds it into the coil.
Check if you can, that both of the small wires are still attached to the coil (primary wires).
Old 09-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Have you ridden the bike in the wet recently? Gen 1 SV's were notorious for no spark in the front when wet. The gen 2s actually got a splash guard to help prevent this.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Remove the front cylinder rubber cover, stuff a paper towel in it to remove the moisture, spray a bit of wd40, put back together and seal with some silicon glue.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

the front plug is prone to get water in it from tire spray and collect and stay there, common problem, it did in our's also. alot of peeps made like a flap to keep it outta there. constant battle if you commute.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
the front plug is prone to get water in it from tire spray and collect and stay there, common problem, it did in our's also. alot of peeps made like a flap to keep it outta there. constant battle if you commute.
Not if you seal it.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Jason_Canuck

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

CDI bad?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

As stated by everyone take a look at the wire and boot.
Also lift the tank and look at the front cylinder coil, it's on the lh side of the frame right below the air box. Make sure the 2 wires are plugged in. It's pretty common to knock one loose if you were in there.
If you wind up needing a wire or plug, I think I have a used one. Just give me a call Wed. when we reopen.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i'll try and check it out tomorrow.
im pretty certain its not water this time, because i cant hear the spark plug wire clicking when the engine is running.
also, i just found out tonight that my engine cut off switch doesnt work anymore. wtf. related?
i did see the coil when i went into it a couple of days ago, but i couldnt figure out what needed to be done and didnt want to break anything.
thanks for the replys

also, once again, i might be getting a house soon! i have money to put down and we just looked at a charming little thing in montgomery today no garage, but lots of shade trees and space for a garage

Advertisement