Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
lilwaters
Only The Strong Survive

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
'03 Yamaha r6

New Rider***

hey to all,

new to the whole riding game but wanted to get some opinions on this bike im buying this week...Its a Yamaha r6 2004 its got 6000 miles on it no scratches or anything in good shape...

for sure getting it this week wanted to know more about bike clubs and what not...thanks for ur time...

BLESS
lilwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cop rear ends rider, then BLAMES the rider CTtriple General Discussion (Moto Related) 76 11-06-2013 10:09 AM
Rider hit by other rider - Video Inside Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 07-31-2012 03:42 PM
Rider and co-rider down 290E & Barker Cypress jimrad General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-17-2011 12:17 AM
Rider Down on 242, report says inexperienced rider Davekg General Discussion (Moto Related) 94 03-24-2011 07:11 PM
Rider to Passenger/Other Rider Communication Pyrofallout General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-22-2008 09:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
psychomedicHFD
CMRA Expert #65

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Yamaha R1 Race bike

sup
psychomedicHFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

hi and welcome to MH. and as for bike clubs, you joined motohouston didn't you?
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Candie

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Hiya and welcome!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Manjer78

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
08 Honda 600rr

Welcome and ride safe
Old 09-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Bomb0314

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
SOLD all of them :(

welcome and be safe!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:03 AM   #9
murder

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R6

good thinking on the r6
murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #10
lilwaters
Only The Strong Survive

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
'03 Yamaha r6

Any comments on the r6? Good bike, bad bike? Any special mods I could do too it? It's got the full yoshi exhaust on it already. Thanks
lilwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #11
BadApple
What?

Bike(s):
2006 CRF450X SuperMotard
2002 *ROCKSTAR* xr50

Member Garage

Welcome!
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

It's a nice bike, but it's a bit much for a beginner. Just be careful, take msf, wear all the gear all the time (ATgATT).

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

A lot of us would be happier if a new rider started on a 250. Since that isn't going to happen, don't make any modifications that make it faster until you have the skill. Spend your money on a good helmet, top quality gloves, a jacket with armor, and riding pants. Take the MSF course and get properly licensed, if you aren't already. Use the search function and read all the RIP threads. Only then should you get on the bike.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
ormand
Deelish!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Aren't R6s the most difficult to negotiate of all the 600cc SSs?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
The purchase of the bike is the cheapest part.

First, you dont know how it was ridden. Expect to put money into it. Before your purchase ask the seller to take it to a shop with you to have it looked over. On my side of town Motorcycles Unlimited(see sponsor section) is my -sent. They will test drive and look the bike over for you if you're unsure about checkout.

I always recommend checking/flushing fluids on first purchase. Expect, regardless, that the bike's maintenance is behind. Tires, sprockets and chain to start with; valve adjustment depending on model etc.

Second, w the wrath of theft going around you WILL need full coverage insurance, good parking arangements w a lock cable minimal and I'd recommend lowjack if you wish to dump any money in the bike and would like it recovered when it is taken.

Third, but most important gear. Not the most expensive nor the cheapest stuff you can find. Yes, I get it that many people wear a helmet and are content with that. A lasouration on your arm could bleed you dry in seconds. I've lost many friends that wear jackets etc so GOOD FITTING gear is more important. What is gear? On our forest rides through North Houston's curvy backroads we require jacket, gloves and helmet. We spend about 5 minutes demonstrating how a good spine support works(wear under the jacket) as well as kevlar enforced jeans, knee and shin guards and how full leathers protect the knees. We also talk about riding boots and importance of ankle protection. Do you have health insurance? Make sure you're covered. Most recovers for work return on even minor wrecks is 1 week minimal.

MSF... Even if you u rode 'back in the day' take it again. If you can pass your license test by the grading system while riding, great. Take MSF anyways. They have some very helpful points. Most riders you'll meet on the road that you will inevertantly 'learn' from will only be feeding you false and bad information. Most react WHEN something happens instead of learning to leave room w the cars around them, look through windows to cars ahead, watch front tires as you ride by... list goes on and on.

As for the bike: you could take that stock bike and put decent touring tires on it and rock that thing on the track all the way down on its side all day long then ride it home. Any modifications you do it will make minor changes and since most people cant ride their own bikes within 70% of its potential(and I assure you I am one of them) all the mods you do will be preference.

Still, mods recommended for you as a rider:

1)suspension set up at Motorcycles Unlimited($25) or other shops. Will adjust the bike to your weight and riding style. This will be a night/day difference and can only improve your commute, backroad, drag race and track riding experience.

2)tires: all your performance has to grip through your tires... think about it.

3)brakes: you have to stop... go figure.

Remember your first bike will not be your last. If you dont have frame sliders on the bike, get them now. Chances are likely the bike will be dropped within a week. I drop all mine about the first week I get them. Cant wait to see what I do to the Honda Im building lol.

Riding buddies: make sure they ride respectable for you and not make you feel like you always have to play catch up. Safe riding is learned through experience, not how fast you can go. People will ride for a couple years and learn the roads around their house, take them faster and faster and think they can ride. Then they come on a forest ride w us, freak out but dont wanna drop the ego. They end up wrecked... We have about 3 dozen examples like that within the last couple years just on forest rides. Most run off and have learned to control it. Regardless the point is you need to find people that are willing to ride FOR you not that allow you to tag along on their ride. If you find those people, stick with em. Most bikers however, wont ride in staggered formation etc; its more of the hooligan type riding where everyone fends for themselves. The northside has had much renovation due to MH's concern for safety and our large riding groups. Makes for safe rides etc.

Sorry for the preaching but you asked

You'll find many opinions on MH but that's because we are fond of our friends and concerned for safety; no matter how we may act on our bikes. Please be safe, gear up, come out to some meet and greets w us/rides and dont be a stranger.

You get out of MH what you put in, much like the moto community.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

My friend wrecked yesterday he just purchased my 929 I had two requirements full coverage insurance and full gear... he had neither. His arms are wrapped from his hands to his shoulders and he is miserable... if he had full coverage he would have a new bike on the way and if he had full gear he would be 100% literally he only road rashed which jackets easily proctect you from but now he looks like a burn victim. I myself have gone down twice once I went straight over the bike into a field, broke my clavical from the impact besides that nothing. My other incident I was hit by a car while driving fractured elbow and serious road rash but still imagine if I wasn't wearing full gear?

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #17
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Also if anything, and you haven't purchased it I would be willing to come take a look at for you, I buy and sell bikes.

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
pwned

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
07 gixxer 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
?
pwned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #19
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

dont worry about the mods................ride the thing. wear your gear, and dont act like an idiot.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #20
gsxr005
Rocky

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2004 Yamaha YZF450 Dirtbike

Send a message via AIM to gsxr005 Send a message via Yahoo to gsxr005
Wassup! Welcome 2 MH. Well everyone has said everything I wanted to, the only thing I can say now is respect that machine the moment you don't is the moment it will hurt you. Learn to ride her to your limits and then only then you’ll feel the difference when start putting performance parts.

I ride because I want too, I ride because I need too, enough talk lets ride! Till our seats catches on fire! The faster the better! Ride it to your Limits. "I live my life quarter mile at a time and in those 10sec I'm free and nothing else matter" No BS, No hassle, No worries just me and my bike.
gsxr005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement