Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero
Feedback Rating: (0)

'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Air trends 'amplifying' warming - Conspiracy?

Read this, and let me play the part of consipracy theorist for a moment.

I'm a bit confused now. We've been told that industrial pollution among other things have been a huge contributor to global warming, but this article is talking about 'clean air' being a contributor.. or amplifying the effects. ?!

So are we just doomed!? Or is this just a cleverly disguised FUD* article.

The decline in Soviet industry and clean air laws in western countries apparently reduced concentrations of aerosols, tiny particles, in the atmosphere.

These aerosols may block solar radiation directly, or help clouds to form which in turn constitute a barrier; or both effects may occur.
So our pollutants were doing a good thing?

The mechanism is that rising levels of what are conventionally called "greenhouse gases", such as carbon dioxide and methane, cause more evaporation of water, which in the atmosphere is itself a greenhouse gas.

He believes this is having more impact than changes to the transmission of solar energy through the atmosphere.

"From my results I believe it's the greenhouse warming and in particular the water vapour feedback," he said.

"Studies and papers are also coming now which are looking more closely at what water vapour is doing in other regions; and there are several pieces of work showing water vapour is increasing over land areas like the United States."

So now the focus is on water vapour as it acts like a greenhouse blanket.

And now the conspiracy part. If too much water vapour in the atmosphere is a bad thing, who benefits, and who gets hurt?

There's been a big push for alternative energy, one of the options being hydrogen. The byproduct of hydrogen fuel cells is.... water/steam.. D'oh!

So now the oil company's can say, "you may not be able to breathe the air we have soiled, but we're not increasing rate of global warming. It's those hydrogen guys!"

And this concludes todays conspiracy. Thanks for playing.

* FUD = Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.
Blog | Pics | YouTube
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote