MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #41
Squid Killer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
FZ1, Ducati Monster, R6, Gold Wing, Seca 2, TTR230, EX 250 and Metropolitan

[QUOTE=obed;3214955)
but there are ways to ride to make it less likely to go down.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. With time those that are good at whatever they do are at less risk because they have developed good habits. Dr. Harry Hurt rode an entire lifetime without crashing. He was a devoted rider who even had a bike in his living room. He lived to be an old man riding most of his life in California traffic crash free.

It isn't something that comes easy and if you have a crash it doesn't always mean your good habits have failed you. I say if you think you are guaranteed to have a crash then you aren't trying hard enough.

Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
it was inevitable.... Facebook imploded. RedAggie03 Off Topic 11 12-17-2010 08:34 AM
The inevitable happened tonight... Ares General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 04-02-2010 11:45 AM
Rapper Wrecks it... BadApple General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 10-18-2009 09:35 AM
N. Korean Gen.: 'War is Inevitable' CaJuNsOuLjA Off Topic 24 10-26-2006 02:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #42
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I am not saying I will not have a wreck on my bike, I could get run over this afternoon. The last wreck I had on a motorcycle (other than pushing it on the track) was in 1966, while it was the cagers fault, if I had been riding a little more defensively it would not have happened. In my case I was riding south on a 4 lane road. I was following an 18 wheeler in traffic. Up ahead of us was a cross road with a stop sign, a lady was stopped at the stop sign, she thought she had room to cross because all she could see was an 18 wheeler coming very slowly. I was hidden from her view by the 18 wheeler, she started across the road headed east, at the same moment she started across, I got tired of following the 18 wheeler and moved into the "fast lane" to go around the truck, as I passed the 18 wheeler she came into my view... she saw me about the same time I saw her, she panicked and slammed on her brake stopping in my lane directly in front of me... I did a panic stop, faltered at the last moment and laid it down and slid into her car. The bike suffered only minor damage, bent lever and broken mirror. I was lucky and got minor road rash. I got up, pulled the wheels of the bike out from under her car... she just looked at me and drove off...
If I had been thinking I would have remembered that cross road and would waited until i was past it to go around the 18 wheeler that had been obstructing my view of the intersection... yes she pulled out in front of me (and the slower moving 18 wheeler) but had I been thinking and driving defensively it would not have happened.

Last edited by obed; 04-05-2012 at 04:16 PM.
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #43
Bob_D
Clutch City

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Also remember that while you may do everything right, all it takes is one idiot on a cell phone...

The wreck need not be rider induced. Not a whole of a lot you can do when you're sitting at a light and some River Oaks Barbie in an H2 cant manage to text, put on her makeup, drink her latte, screw with her iPod, adjust her sunglasses "just right" AND actually pay attention to the road...

i've just encountered that monster the other day.... smh ... if they dont use their mirrors i say kick it off and take it with their not using it anyways lol jk
Bob_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #44
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobilly View Post
like everyone already knows, there's 2 types of riders. one's that have gone down and one's going down..... i happen to fall in the 1st category.
Everyone who has gone down says that.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #45
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

Wrecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrinzik View Post
Honestly, while I appreciate what is being said, but I don't believe accidents are inevitable. I read something very similar about fatality stats in a book called Proficient Motorcycling, and it's very helpful and reassuring that most fatalities involve behavior that I don't engage in (helmetless, drinking and driving, etc). I know guys that have been riding for decades without an accident. It has to do with reducing your risk factors and not exposing yourself to making catastrophic mistakes.

Add to the list not riding tired or angry.
I agree with what you are saying to a point, I mean you can watch what you are doing, Wear your helmet, put on gear,don't drink,(or do anything that will impair your vision or reaction time) when riding-so on and so forth.But you can not controll the other people on the road, or road conditions(debris in the road, new potholes etc...) now I'm not saying accidents are inevitable, But the odds are really stacked up against us, It's not an easy question.I think that question depends on the rider, with some riders accidents are inevitable, other riders, no.
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #46
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

inevitable or not?

Good question. Great thread, if people read it, it will make them think. If they don't read it it was a waste of time, I hope it was'nt a waste of time!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #47
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

crash,bang,boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i've heard Kenny Roberts never crashed, and rossi doesn't crash ofter..........guess they're not trying hard enough

for a street rider, very bad attitude to have.
Roberts has been down Loottttsss of times, one race early 80's he went down earlyer in a race and came back and won. And Rossi has seen his fair share of asphalt,a couple of years ago Rossi missed several races due to injuries from a wreck. As for the original question are wrecks inevitable, I think if you race, YES it is inevitable. Racers are always pushing the limits to win.

Advertisement