MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #41
Evfr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
02 Honda VFR 800 (totalled 8.1.09)
Scott Reflex MTB

Upon low side ing, the bike & I were sliding through the intersection with the bike between the car & I. With apparently just enough space between the bike & I, for me to continue sliding past the intersection. I had ridden just over 4800 miles, since april.
Evfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who's at fault here RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 06-09-2012 07:29 PM
who's at fault here RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 05-17-2012 07:50 AM
Whose @ fault? BlackWidow Taking it to the Track 25 09-03-2009 02:42 PM
Another one Whos Fault? tarosean General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 02-15-2008 03:58 PM
Carbon 1/2 it's all your fault marimirez Off Topic 18 09-24-2007 11:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #42
Evfr

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
02 Honda VFR 800 (totalled 8.1.09)
Scott Reflex MTB

Your right I think breaks would have been wrong. jk

Based on the outcome
Evfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #43
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Yes, because denim, leather, textile and metal are more effective at reducing speed than tire compounds and brakes.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #44
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

You can avoid 99% of all motorcycle accidents if you'll just stay on your couch
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #45
GixxerMayham

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki 2006 Gsx-R 600

you guys are tough on this kid. Efvr!! maybe you could have done something different, i dont know, I was not there. My advice is take the MSF class. I went to Awesome Cyles on the North side of Houston I recommend them to everyone, even my buddies in Beaumont. Some of these A-holes are really giving a hard time. Everyday is a learning experience bro.
GixxerMayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #46
Got-Busa?

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
I agree that a good 99% of "not my fault" accidents could have been avoided....
I'm not going to say much here because I've lived it. Some accidents are unavoidable.

A friend of mine and I were riding north bound and a truck turned head on into us. He was southbound like every other car we passed that day....all of a sudden NO blinker, nothing....we had enough time to see him cross the line and then it was over. I barely had time to hit my brakes. My friend was hit head on and I went between the truck and the airborne motorcycle after it ricocheted off. We were going the speed limit, had our gear on and there was nothing we could have done (other than not riding that day). The kid driving the truck said he was swatting at a bee and then later said he never saw us....

I will agree that a large majority of them ARE avoidable but there are still some that aren't. I'm only saying it's more than 1%.

R.I.P....Brad
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #47
JUANTED

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 770

i say it 50-50,it not your fault if you are riding your bike...shhhiiittt happen
JUANTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #48
mammothmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evfr View Post
Cheers to a possible CBR1000RR from this roll of the dice

couldn't avoid a wreck on an 800, yep time to move on up to a 1000
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 AM   #49
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
couldn't avoid a wreck on an 800, yep time to move on up to a 1000

troof.......
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:25 AM   #50
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

99% sounds high... until you look at how many motorcycle accidents there are in this country. There are always the 1-2% that were just completely and utterly out of your control.

But I have to say that just about every one that I have seen posted on MH and the other sites I frequent were avoidable, IF the rider had done something different.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #51
cj_sandman
custom user title!!

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600 F4i
'99 FXST

I ride like I'm in a video game where everyone's trying to kill me. Which some days almost feels accurate. If your thought process is several seconds ahead, most of the wrecks are very easily avoidable. I've stopped giving my opinion to folks when I hear about people getting rear ended at stoplights, etc (while sitting smack dab in the middle of the lane daydreaming. ) Motorcycling truly is one of life's pursuits where you have to take responsibility for your safety and place it in your own hands. Trusting that things/conditions around you will always be normal and not being in a constant state of readiness/anticipation can be, and usually is fatal. That's why everyone has a "friend that got rear-ended/etc and it WASN'T even his fault!" (whilst not wearing a helmet too - who's fault was that?) Too bad that's a subject for a different thread. Without fail, everytime I hear one of these types of stories, I think the same thing: could have been prevented. But some people will never learn, the ones who'd rather be reactive and about the outcome, rather than proactive and prevent a situation to begin with.
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #52
tyme2move

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

"I hear about people getting rear ended at stoplights, etc"

I'm curious... How does one avoid this? and, for the record, I totally agree, just bcuz an accident was not "your" fault, does not mean that something could not have been done to avoid it.
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #53
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

watch your 6
stay in 1st gear, ready to move left or right
i stay in 1st till at least 1-2 cars are behind me.
stop either in the left or right "track", not directly in the center of the lane
and do the same if there's a car in ft of you. car coming, roll forward next to car.

flash your brake lights. as car approach's

are ALL avoidable, NO, but it's your safety you need to worry about, don't rely on other drivers.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #54
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyme2move View Post
"I hear about people getting rear ended at stoplights, etc"

I'm curious... How does one avoid this? and, for the record, I totally agree, just bcuz an accident was not "your" fault, does not mean that something could not have been done to avoid it.
1. Start to slow down well before the light.

2. Flash the brake light by braking, releasing, braking, releasing until you're stopped.

3. Stop a good ways from the car in front.

4. Keep the car behind in your mirror.

5. Keep the bike in gear.

6. If the car behind get too close, pull forward.

7. Don't stop in the middle of the lane. Give the car room to miss you on one side or the other.

Guys who get hit from behind wait until they're close to light to stop. Maybe they were thinking of running the light. The car behind is thinking the bike is going to run the light and he is going to do the same thing. Bike stops suddenly. Result is the bike gets rear ended.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #55
tyme2move

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
watch your 6

usually do, can't remember if I did this time or not, Hubby said he saw the headlights, but by the time he realized they weren't stopping...It was too late

stay in 1st gear, ready to move left or right

I always stay in 1st

stop either in the left or right "track", not directly in the center of the lane
and do the same if there's a car in ft of you. car coming, roll forward next to car.

I was in the right "track" Hubby in the "left". No cars in front, we were first at the light, lots of cross traffic

flash your brake lights.

I always do that when slowing, AND our bikes have LEDS and strobes

are ALL avoidable, NO, but it's your safety you need to worry about, don't rely on other drivers.
All of that being said, I can tell you that I do things differently as a direct result of this "unavoidable" accident. Altho, there were no cars in front of me at the accident...now when there are, I am very careful of where I stop in the lane, I ALWAYS (not usually, or when I think about it) make sure that I have "an out" just in case I can actually tell how fast that car in my mirror is going. I am even more alert at stoplights (well, actually everywhere). I always considered myself a very alert rider, now I consider myself "hyper"alert. Whether this accident was 100% unavoidable or not, it was a learning experience, and it did change the way I ride.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #56
tyme2move

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

"Guys who get hit from behind wait until they're close to light to stop. Maybe they were thinking of running the light. The car behind is thinking the bike is going to run the light and he is going to do the same thing. Bike stops suddenly. Result is the bike gets rear ended."

That makes good sense, but that is not the only way a bike gets rear-ended. Guy who hit me was texting and never actually looked up (his own words).
Old 09-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #57
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
All of that being said, I can tell you that I do things differently as a direct result of this "unavoidable" accident. Altho, there were no cars in front of me at the accident...now when there are, I am very careful of where I stop in the lane, I ALWAYS (not usually, or when I think about it) make sure that I have "an out" just in case I can actually tell how fast that car in my mirror is going. I am even more alert at stoplights (well, actually everywhere). I always considered myself a very alert rider, now I consider myself "hyper"alert. Whether this accident was 100% unavoidable or not, it was a learning experience, and it did change the way I ride.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #58
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Quote:
"Guys who get hit from behind wait until they're close to light to stop. Maybe they were thinking of running the light. The car behind is thinking the bike is going to run the light and he is going to do the same thing. Bike stops suddenly. Result is the bike gets rear ended."

That makes good sense, but that is not the only way a bike gets rear-ended. Guy who hit me was texting and never actually looked up (his own words).
That's the reason for all the other things. Flashing the brake lights to get his attention, looking at him in the mirror so you can see if he's texting or on the phone, giving him room to move at the last instance to miss you on one side or the other. If I see someone texting, not paying attention or closing too fast, I'll move up next to the car in front so he hits that car instead of me.

Remember, every other car out there is trying to kill you.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #59
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #60
tyme2move

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post
That's the reason for all the other things. Flashing the brake lights to get his attention not only do I do this, My bike has strobe lights and LEDs, looking at him in the mirror so you can see if he's texting or on the phone Nice idea, it was 11:30pm, if I was looking (no memory of accident) Only would've seen headlights., giving him room to move at the last instance to miss you on one side or the other my bike was positioned in the far right of lane, just to the left of the line. If I see someone texting, not paying attention or closing too fast, I'll move up next to the car in front so he hits that car instead of me. No car in front of me, only another bike on left side of lane (staggered formation), also lots of cross traffic, (video FTW!)

Remember, every other car out there is trying to kill you.
yea, I got that

These are all great tips and great ways to try to avoid a collision.

Advertisement