Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
But you have to PREPARE for that possibility while riding. You have to assume anything & everything is going to happen, no?
i was getting at, if you feel the car is too close behind you.......give yourself more following distance from teh car in ft of you..... the only thing you can control is the space in ft of you. by slowing down and making it obvious your slowing down.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who's at fault here RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 06-09-2012 07:29 PM
who's at fault here RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 05-17-2012 07:50 AM
Whose @ fault? BlackWidow Taking it to the Track 25 09-03-2009 02:42 PM
Another one Whos Fault? tarosean General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 02-15-2008 03:58 PM
Carbon 1/2 it's all your fault marimirez Off Topic 18 09-24-2007 11:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #22
SW@T
SWAGGA OF A CRIPPLE!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Track= 07 600RR
Street= 09 R6 white/red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
but if you ride and watch out for those situations, and always assume that someone is going to pull out in front of you, turn in front of you, etc, you begin to prepare to avoid the incident much sooner than if you were to just react to it. on roads with a lot of side streets i'll stay in the left most part of the left most lane. on roads with lots of potential crossings in front of my, i will stay in the middle lane, and any cars i see approaching the turn lanes on my left i will watch and plan accordingly. same goes for any car approaching a driveway/side street on my right. until i am positive they see me and aren't going to run me over, i take precautions to avoid their next move.

i've found that that has always given me plenty of time to avoid a collision.
agreed

SW@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #23
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
so you disagree?

"This is not to say that EVERY bike crash is avoidable but I am going on the record as saying I bet 99% of all bike crashes are avoidable.."
I will disagree with your statement. I think your estimate of 99% of crashes is pretty far off.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #24
mammothmc

mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #25
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post

Getting rear ended is the only unavoidable accident ( unless you want to shoot out into an intersection and play frogger)
i wouldn't say unavoidable............there are things you can do to draw attention to yourself at the lights even or protect yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
I will disagree with your statement. I think your estimate of 99% of crashes is pretty far off.
i agree 99% is high, but i believe there are alot of accidents that could have been avoided by the motorcyclist.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 09-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #26
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i wouldn't say unavoidable............there are things you can do to draw attention to yourself at the lights even or protect yourself

i agree 99% is high, but i believe there are alot of accidents that could have been avoided by the motorcyclist.
I believe a lot of "accidents" could be avoided, not just motorcycles, not even automobile accidents, in just about everything, but human beings can not be 100% on edge with everything and their entire surroundings 24/7/365, just not possible.

But 99% still I would say is way high for the number of avoidable motorcycle crashes.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #27
Evfr

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
02 Honda VFR 800 (totalled 8.1.09)
Scott Reflex MTB

"so your a new rider, hadn't taken MSF (that might have taught you some basic evasive techniques or at least proper mindset)"
My evasive technique was the only thing that kept me out of the hospital, or worse.
Details of the accident , guy (from dallas) unfamiliar with the H area with a friend in the car giving directions, enters the turn lane "last minute" basically just as I was entering the intersection and turns. In all honesty I didnt even have time to go for the brake. He admittingly just did not see me, or the red light for that matter. I dont claim to be anything close to a great rider. Im good and confident with my abilities. Im not trying to start one of these epic MH arguments. Just trying to say that under the same circumstances anyone in my positon would agree it was, in all practiclity, un-avoidable. Anyway check from his insurance comes friday, so new bike in the works
Evfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #28
Evfr

Bike(s):
Scott Reflex MTB

"Cars don't sneak into intersections. If you were riding defensively you would have seen the lack of slowing on their part. I know a squid that had the same thing happen with an 18 wheeler. Talk about not paying attention! If you want to ride a bike & continue living.....don't pay attention to what cars are doing.......predict what they're about to do or not do."

Essentially he did sneak into the intersection because he was slowin and turned last minute( the left arrow was green from my direction as well as my light) and another thing that saved my A** was the fact that I was wearing jacket, gloves boots and jeans so not much squid factor.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #29
Evfr

Bike(s):
Scott Reflex MTB

I think I missed an a in practicAlity??
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #30
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evfr View Post
"so your a new rider, hadn't taken MSF (that might have taught you some basic evasive techniques or at least proper mindset)"
My evasive technique was the only thing that kept me out of the hospital, or worse.
Details of the accident , guy (from dallas) unfamiliar with the H area with a friend in the car giving directions, enters the turn lane "last minute" basically just as I was entering the intersection and turns. In all honesty I didnt even have time to go for the brake. He admittingly just did not see me, or the red light for that matter. I dont claim to be anything close to a great rider. Im good and confident with my abilities. Im not trying to start one of these epic MH arguments. Just trying to say that under the same circumstances anyone in my positon would agree it was, in all practiclity, un-avoidable. Anyway check from his insurance comes friday, so new bike in the works
most riders crash in mos 6-8 of their riding career.......when they get confident but really don't have the skills yet..........sound familiar.........?

nobody was there so who knows, the key is to learn from it, and use better judgement next time, cuz it will happen again.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 09-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #31
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
"My evasive technique was the only thing that kept me out of the hospital, or worse.
Details of the accident , guy (from dallas) unfamiliar with the H area with a friend in the car giving directions, enters the turn lane "last minute" basically just as I was entering the intersection and turns. In all honesty I didnt even have time to go for the brake. He admittingly just did not see me, or the red light for that matter. I dont claim to be anything close to a great rider. Im good and confident with my abilities. Im not trying to start one of these epic MH arguments. Just trying to say that under the same circumstances anyone in my positon would agree it was, in all practiclity, un-avoidable. Anyway check from his insurance comes friday, so new bike in the works"

If I recall... you swerved 3 lanes and jumped off the bike, but didn't have time to break?
Old 09-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #32
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
If I recall... you swerved 3 lanes and jumped off the bike, but didn't have time to break?
from only 40mph.........

brake = break
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #33
Evfr

Bike(s):
Scott Reflex MTB

Swerved from far lef to far right (so two lanes) and not jumped off. Laid it down basically a low side due to extreme lean angle. All in one motion so no no time for brakes. I will learn from it, just one of the arguable accidents relevant to this thread. Skill? Again I have no claim to fame as far as skill but as stated in my first post my only move would have been to drastically cut my speed in anticipation that he would turn, when at that point he was not in the turn lane?? That leads back to the drastically slowing at a green light. Regardless of opinions, LUCKY is the best description for the outcome of this one. Cheers to a possible CBR1000RR from this roll of the dice
Old 09-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #34
Evfr

Bike(s):
Scott Reflex MTB

sorry breaks
Old 09-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #35
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

so how many miles had you ridden before you crashed?

no, brakes = right
breaks = wrong.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 09-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #36
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
but if you ride and watch out for those situations, and always assume that someone is going to pull out in front of you, turn in front of you, etc, you begin to prepare to avoid the incident much sooner than if you were to just react to it. on roads with a lot of side streets i'll stay in the left most part of the left most lane. on roads with lots of potential crossings in front of my, i will stay in the middle lane, and any cars i see approaching the turn lanes on my left i will watch and plan accordingly. same goes for any car approaching a driveway/side street on my right. until i am positive they see me and aren't going to run me over, i take precautions to avoid their next move.

i've found that that has always given me plenty of time to avoid a collision.
... And thus why I like riding alone.

The one thing I hate about riding with guys I'm not familiar with, is when I am being cautious as you describe, but they may not be... whether it may be due to ignorance or stupidity..., and so then they may want to take the lead themselves, and ride their ride to lead the group to our destination (I'm referring more to city riding through streets like Westheimer/Richmond/Kirby/etc...). All that does (in my frame of thinking) is add more issues for me to deal with, including looking even further ahead than the lead rider, or anticipating potential hazards along the line of riders ahead of me, while still considering potential hazards to me alone.

However, if I, on my own accord, ride less cautious, or am less vigilant on any given ride, then that's my own decision and risk to do so, but I hate being with other riders who do not understand, or are not as seemingly cautious, as I believe I am, as I follow their lead. I have to know them and trust them to feel more comfortable in that regard, and even then it still adds that extra awareness I mentioned above. Does that make sense?
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #37
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evfr View Post
"Cars don't sneak into intersections. If you were riding defensively you would have seen the lack of slowing on their part. I know a squid that had the same thing happen with an 18 wheeler. Talk about not paying attention! If you want to ride a bike & continue living.....don't pay attention to what cars are doing.......predict what they're about to do or not do."

Essentially he did sneak into the intersection because he was slowin and turned last minute( the left arrow was green from my direction as well as my light) and another thing that saved my A** was the fact that I was wearing jacket, gloves boots and jeans so not much squid factor.
I wouldn't be maintaining 40mph if I saw that happening ahead of me. I would've slowed down a bit, or switching my lane over, or something... as soon as I saw that car doing that. Even then... happens.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #38
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Accidents happen. Human variable is too hard to predict. Being prepared ups your statistics, but not 99%.

I do get tired of the blame game on accidents though.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #39
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Swerved from far lef to far right (so two lanes) and not jumped off. Laid it down basically a low side due to extreme lean angle. All in one motion so no no time for brakes. I will learn from it, just one of the arguable accidents relevant to this thread. Skill? Again I have no claim to fame as far as skill but as stated in my first post my only move would have been to drastically cut my speed in anticipation that he would turn, when at that point he was not in the turn lane?? That leads back to the drastically slowing at a green light. Regardless of opinions, LUCKY is the best description for the outcome of this one.
I've wonder about the fact that you missed the car, but the car got the bike.
Means you had to go behind the car, over it or 'stopped' before it. If your body could stop before hitting the car, then the bike should have been able to.
If your body went behind the car, the bike should have been capable also. If you'd slowed, you'd had more time to react and respond.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #40
tyme2move

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

From looking at the video of our wreck, I can't think of anything that could've been done to avoid it . I don't know how we could make ourselves MORE visible. Of course, I have no actual memory of the wreck, but have spent a considerable amount of time viewing the video and talking to witnesses, and Lee.
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement