MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
speedismo
OCD for speed

Feedback Rating: (0)

6-stroke engine

for the tech-inclined, check this out

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=467

i dunno if it will work, but I like the idea at least

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 stroke engine Cylinder Reboring & Crankshaft Kwackerman How To's and Q & A's 3 12-28-2012 11:30 AM
Engine oil help on a kawasaki kx125 2 Stroke That_Boy_J Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 19 07-05-2012 06:54 PM
4-stroke to 2-stroke Conversion Stang Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-07-2011 09:34 AM
In cylinder video from a 4-stroke engine Helios Off Topic 6 04-01-2010 07:05 AM
Video inside a 4 stroke engine mattj0206 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-10-2008 03:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
TxVrod

That has an extremely high coolness factor!
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

EUREKA! old man crower has done it again

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
mad
Banned

Bike(s):
Suzuki M50

User is banned

mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
good find kalkat
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
zixx6r

Big problem...you have to carry water to inject and it has to be deionized or at least distilled to prevent build up of calcium and mag scale. Distilled would be ok but since you are creating steam you would start to build up silica deposits on valves, etc. DI would be best since it's devoid of contaminants but it's expensive and energy intensive to produce in large quantities...and water is heavier than gasoline and thus more expensive to transport. I can see DI water systems at gas stations, filling up two fuel tanks... and overall it's a great idea, but does it really get us anywhere?
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #7
TxVrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixx6r
Big problem...you have to carry water to inject and it has to be deionized or at least distilled to prevent build up of calcium and mag scale. Distilled would be ok but since you are creating steam you would start to build up silica deposits on valves, etc. DI would be best since it's devoid of contaminants but it's expensive and energy intensive to produce in large quantities...and water is heavier than gasoline and thus more expensive to transport. I can see DI water systems at gas stations, filling up two fuel tanks... and overall it's a great idea, but does it really get us anywhere?
What you're saying is true, to an extent, and would apply more to passenger vehicles. I'm sure you read that 800-1000 pounds of radiator can be replaced by a water tank on a big rig. IF the motor is, indeed, significantly more efficient then it would almost be a moot point.

He's using distilled water but has also eluded to the fact that the engine is still well into the experimetal stages.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
zixx6r

The biggest knock against the ICE is waste heat...so crower's idea addresses that well. The problem would be are you really saving anything...just like hydrogen power. The simplicity is good...but using treated water continuously (having a second fuel) is not. Nice find, I like the links. They have a link to a BMW project using a steam cycle on the site. Heat exchangers and condensers inside the engine bay...basically a little steam power plant to recycle waste heat. The payoff (reduced fuel consumption) is potentially less than Crower's engine but you dont have to worry about filling up on clean water. Most things are a tradeoff, but I have a feeling the BMW concept would come out on top as far as energy saved.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
TxVrod

Yeah, I have a feeling there's going to have to be some sort of additive for the water. I have to wonder, though, would the silica deposits not be burned off during the combustion stroke?

I heard about that Beemer project. That's pretty slick.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
zixx6r

You're right on about the additive, and I also agree that this 6 stroke engine will get picked up in niche markets like the trucking industry eventually if Crower can keep the power up...especially since they're feeling the pinch on fuel prices. Silica is not as big a deal as scale, but when water goes to steam it plates out everywhere. In steam-driven turbines like you find in nuke or coal-fired plants the water HAS to be DI because the silica in regular water will coat the turbine blades in a hurry and cause the balance to be off, throwing turbine blades through the housing. I saw the aftermath of that at a nuke plant when I worked in the industry. In the case of a motor, it will potentially coat engine parts and change tolerances. Once it comes out of it's dissolved state it is basically very pure sand so it wont burn. I'm sure Crower will work it out though and this idea will get it's day in the sun.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Hmm.. Back in '92 - '93 my uncle had me drive up to College Station to pick up a fishing pole for marlins. When I walked into the guys shop, he had a small B&S type engine sitting on the table with the 4 in 4-stroke scratched through and a 6 written over it with a sharpie. When I asked about it, the guy said he was developing it into a 6-stroke engine. So either he wasn't successful, or if he was, he may be able to claim Prior Art against this guys patent. :dontknow:

Neat tech though.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:19 AM   #12
speedismo
OCD for speed

what would be the exhaust of steam-cycle? steam itself, right! and hardly any of it will be lost to the system. (not too much exposed surface). so if u condense it back to water and reinject it, is there a problem? i cant think of any. dunno how much power the condenser will need though..

...and it becomes a self-recycling mechanism then. put DI water into the tank ONCE and just forget it!!!!! water becomes steam and steam becomes water again and so on, with just lil losses

(ok, i know i m missing something here.. it cant be this simple... wat did i miss )

Old 04-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #13
TxVrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
what would be the exhaust of steam-cycle? steam itself, right! and hardly any of it will be lost to the system. (not too much exposed surface). so if u condense it back to water and reinject it, is there a problem? i cant think of any. dunno how much power the condenser will need though..

...and it becomes a self-recycling mechanism then. put DI water into the tank ONCE and just forget it!!!!! water becomes steam and steam becomes water again and so on, with just lil losses

(ok, i know i m missing something here.. it cant be this simple... wat did i miss )
#1 - the exhaust is not only emitting steam - there's a combustion stroke on there also.

#2 - The parasitic loss will be too great.... the same reason you cannot use a light-bulb and a solar panel, attach them together and expect the light-bulb to sustain itself.

Last edited by TxVrod; 04-06-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #14
zixx6r

That's possible but can get tricky since you're using the same cylinders to do the water injection as the gasoline injection...and combusting hydrocarbons is far from a clean process. The best way to do it would be to have the steam exhaust routed to a condenser, involving a valve to switch from gasoline exhaust to steam exhaust on the 6th stroke. Condense it, filter, and reinject.

The simplest way is to do it as Crower does it now, use clean water and throw the dirty exhaust steam away out the tailpipe. Trying to recycle the steam gets complicated by the burning of the gas and the impurities you introduce to the water/steam cycle which will eventually gum up the works (especially the condenser and injectors) unless you actively treat the water outside the engine, in the car. Do-able, but the more systems you add the less practical it becomes for a personal vehicle...but I think it still looks promising for big rigs. If he can sell the patent to a major then a full on engineering team can address these problems and evaluate the best combination of systems.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

i enjoyed reading that...My dad will absolutly love it i already know...He is alsways wroking on exp. like this in fact i think he has talked about this b4 with me....He has some trually awsome ideas just deosnts have the fuunds to try them out...

morefun00800033mr[/IMG][/
!!If it aint its !!
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #16
speedismo
OCD for speed

^u be a good son. stop wasting time on postwhoring and go help him out!

j/k man:icon_bigg

Old 04-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #17
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

In paper sounds promising, but I don't think the idea will take off.

Remember Mazda's Miller cycle motor? a 5 cycle engine, so freaking complex compared to a 4 cycle, no one wanted to work on it. I did one time, and I won't ever touch another one. Not very reliable in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #18
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

I'm still waiting on the water car. Remember Fossil Fuels are non-renewable we won't be running petro-based fuels in the next century I'm sure, based on world energy consumption now.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #19
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

yeah, and I'm still waiting on my persona; plane/helicopter hibrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #20
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

I'm waiting on dinner

sure wish she would hurry her lazy up!

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement