MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Track Day Pace versus Race Pace

I am discovering that my race pace is only maybe 1.5 seconds faster than my track day pace, depending on the track.

For example, at Cresson I only run 1 second faster...at TWS (Texas World Speedway)...2.5 seconds. But I hear of people WAY off the race pace at Track Days, like 5 seconds.

What's up with that?

What about yall?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Msr-H Race Line at 1:36 pace Whoop Taking it to the Track 17 09-29-2012 11:01 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
The reason is. Why push yourself that hard on a trackday and risk ****ing up your bike before the next race. So generaly peope back off a little and don't push the limits
Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob65 View Post
Some people just go out to learn the track alittle more. Or work out bugs.

But, compaired to other people, How fast are you compaired to the others in your class?
top 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
The reason is. Why push yourself that hard on a trackday and risk ****ing up your bike before the next race. So generaly peope back off a little and don't push the limits
Wouldnt you feel more comfortable if you, hypothetically speaking, knocked off consistent..say...52's at TWS (Texas World Speedway)..then only had to run a 50 to win? Wouldn't you feel more in control?

It just seems liek 5 or 6 seconds is HUGE.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

It really depend on what your doing. If the bike is working perfect, then why push even close to race pace. If your trying to develope the bike setup, then you have to be at or close to the race pace. Otherwords the bike will not be working the same. You can't set the bike up running 2:00 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and then try and race on it at 1:55 or faster. It might work, but your going to find problems during the race. Why not get the bike working at 1:56-1:57 pace. The faster you go, the faster the bike has to be setup to go.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

Sometimes racers are left with a worn out tire during trackdays. Still good enough to work the bugs out of the rider but not good enough throw down any fast laps.
-Gabe
LSTD / South Central Race Center / Pirelli / Racepak Supersprox / Raceworx / One Second Faster / Leo Vince / Motorcycles Unlimited / Ebc brakes/ Motul / Pipercross / Jones Powersports / Kawasaki Team Green / LP/ GoPro / Texas Speed and Performance / GP tech / Powerstands
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Sometimes racers are left with a worn out tire during trackdays. Still good enough to work the bugs out of the rider but not good enough throw down any fast laps.
-Gabe
ding ding ding.. i wish i could afford new tires for practice
Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

I am always slow :-) I think tyres are big part of it for sure. You have to remember that Track Days are not meant to be race practice (ask Mr Steve). I think a lot of people use them for seat time, I personally try to work out the kinks in my riding and don't push 100%. I think I have only pushed 100% in maybe one Track Day and I only did it in a certain corner I had been working on all day, but that is just me.... That being said I still look at the lap timer to see if I am improving over time... and I compare that to race results
Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Tires are an issue for sure.

Some track days are race practice for me..not all..but certainly the friday of and weekend before.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Tires are an issue for sure.

Some track days are race practice for me..not all..but certainly the friday of and weekend before.
That is different though, you actually have to hold a race license to participate. But I totally agree!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Brandt, I have to agree with the majority here. I am still learning the tracks during the race and don't have the money to spend doing a ton of trackdays (we r not all blessed to be in your position) but even while doing a trackday I am working on 1 or 2 corners really hard and being smooth the rest of the way. You have prolly done more trackdays this summer than I have ever. Wish I could be like you!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Ill easily go 5 seconds faster in a race than at a track day. My suspension never gets touched at track days only on race weekends when im going faster and need it set up for that. During practice ill work on only a few places at a time instead of trying to throw it all together.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
That is different though, you actually have to hold a race license to participate. But I totally agree!
You do have a point, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody1010 View Post
Ill easily go 5 seconds faster in a race than at a track day. My suspension never gets touched at track days only on race weekends when im going faster and need it set up for that. During practice ill work on only a few places at a time instead of trying to throw it all together.
I see. It just seems strange that someone could put down a 17, at Cresson, but never run faster than 22's on a track day, for whatever reason.

I have always used my lap times, at track days as a general idea as to where I could run in races. If I was running 5 seconds slower, at track days, than what I run now, I'd be discouraged.

But I guess once you guys KNOW what you can run in a race, track day times become less important to ya.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
But I guess once you guys KNOW what you can run in a race, track day times become less important to ya.
All I know is that I am slooooooow..... I think you are on the right track, everybody does what you are talking about (me included). You try to judge what you do on a track day to what others do in a race to see how you stack up. I do it, I think everyone that races does that to some extent. What else would you use to figure out if your improving overall, well other than race day I think anytime you can get seat time on a race track is good!
Old 08-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

My trackday pace is my race pace anything else is a waste of time. Period.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
DustinJ

Feedback Rating: (-1)

Bike(s):
'09 R6
'08 R6

Send a message via MSN to DustinJ
When I did more trackdays, I used to run 2-3 seconds off my race pace. I've come to the conclusion that where I am now it's not even really worth doing trackdays for many reasons, and I'm currently running as fast if not faster laps in open practice days at either MSRH or the Hill then I've ever done there period. My lap times varied about 2 seconds and I very rarely went over a 40.0 in any session at MSRH my last time out. Tires, and open track are my opinions. If your not going as fast as you can possibly go, why ride? Your just wearing out your equipment and tires... nor will you have as good of an idea of the direction you need to go with suspension when it comes time to throw down faster laps, or you may run into a problem when you get there. If you get comfortable running as fast as you can possibly go all the time, the little bit extra you need in a race isn't such a far grasp. You gotta make every lap count.
CMRA Expert #979
Sponsored by: AAA Lift Trucks Racing, Sunny Motorsports, RaceWorx / Jim Cambora
DustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #16
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i'm about 3-4 seconds off pace during trackdays. because usually i have really crappy tires on, no motivation to go faster, and don't wanna crash for no reason.

i found that during a normal trackday (not pre-race weekend), that eventually when you are about to get your new best lap time.....someone will be there to block you and if you take that nasty pass, someone will complain.

during a race, the faster you get up front, the more open space you have ahead to get those lap times you desired, along with the motivation of someone's front wheel constantly coming up right next to your leg. lappers suck also, but you can pass them however you'd like...because it's a race and not a trackday.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
the head

Bike(s):
2003 GSXR1000
1987 Yamaha Razz scooter
1982 Honda XR100

There used to be no such thing as track days back when I started racing. The exception was the Suzuki Team Hammer School that Ulrich used to run about once a year at TWS (Texas World Speedway). As track days started coming around, I was significantly slower due to the fact there was no point in risking anything. If anything I would try weird lines where it may become necessary to make a pass during race day. After 'retiring' from racing, I used to teach at LSTD for a while with a streetbike and when riding in the A and B groups I'd pick it up a little, but it wasn't worth trying to ride hard enough to mess up my street ride.
Even if you turn slower lap times, track days are good for practicing one or two corners at a time to try different things and are excellent when it rains to get that experience.
the head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #18
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Good stuff!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #19
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

sandbaggers.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #20
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Its interesting that some of you don't think practicing and getting coaching is necessary. People like Tiger Woods, Jeff Bagwell, Kobe Bryant and Bill Belicheck would strongly disagree. Until you can beat Rossi you need to practice.

Track days are times to work on your weak areas. Figure out what you are doing wrong, spend the first few sessions working on it at three quarter speed and then increase the pace in the last sessions.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement