MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Which Direction Do You Feel More Comfortable Turning?

Nicky Hayden admits to being more comfortable turning left than right. Over the weekend at the Red Bull MotoGP race, Hayden said, "I'm a left hand corner guy, I just feel more comfortable on a left-hand course, a track with a left-hand turn one. Maybe it's just what I'm used to, where the brakes are and how to turn the bike."

Hayden grew up racing dirt track and, of course, roadracing in the USA, where the majority of the tracks, as designed, have more left-handed corners than right-handed corners. What about you? What's your dominant turning direction?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making my SV650S more comfortable Flip Flop General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 08-31-2014 08:44 AM
Getting Comfortable Riding z0sum General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-27-2012 11:28 PM
need more comfortable gloves.. lucydad Gear Talk 11 04-10-2012 01:16 PM
im feelin un comfortable right now.... GAU-8 Off Topic 47 04-03-2010 12:02 AM
A more comfortable Speed Triple gueroaero General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 06-20-2009 08:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
cj_sandman
custom user title!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600 F4i
'99 FXST

I'm more comfortable turning to the left. I have no idea why, but when I was talking to someone a long time ago they said something about - that's because the pipe is on the right side, so most people are somehow subconsciously more cautious about it?

Could be total b.s.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Left turns... with the throttle on the right, it is a bit more challenging, turning right. Having said that, I am becoming more comfortable going "both ways" but I am sure left will always be my strongest.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
im a lot better on right turns for some reason im right handed.. which is favored at most tracks at TWS (Texas World Speedway) I really want to work on all the right handed sweepers to get more comfortable
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Solo
Killer Bee Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600 (track)
00 sv 650 (street)

left
Old 08-31-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I think it was you or TomLSTD that posted the link to Keith Code's article on the matter, pretty interesting read.
I have noticed that while I don't have a chicken strip on my left side, I do a half an inch one on my right side. I feel more comfortable turning left, not sure why.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
MrT713
Grand Kushi

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2003 gsxr 600
2007 gsxr 600 Track

left. i think its cause the throttle is on the right.
MrT713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

left for sure...

Most studies of dominant orientation suggest that balance will favor toward the non-dominant leg. Meaning that if you are right handed (left brained) you will use your left leg for balance. For example, if you play basketball when you try to do a left handed lay-up you will always want to jump off your left foot. If you have never tried to do a "true" left handed lay-up you will have no idea what I am talking about but give it a shot (no pun intended) and you will find it very awkward. You have to train your brain and your body to jump with your right leg... for me this was like 5th grade so I am comfortable both directions.

I naturally feel more comfortable with my body weight on my left leg no matter what sport I am playing. Soccer is another good example, if you kick a soccer ball with your right foot (if your right handed aka left brain dominant) you will support yourself with your left leg, subsequently you are balancing with that leg.

What will throw you for a loop is that left handed folks don't always follow the opposite balance orientation, meaning they can't do left hand lay-ups any better than the rest of us.

Last edited by Timme'; 08-31-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Timme' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I'm more comfortable going right. All my lowsides have been left-handers. Gradually I'm getting over it.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

I feel more comfortable turning the right way.......I get all nervous when I turn the wrong way
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
05cbreezy636
lean with it

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
05 636 track

Left.
05cbreezy636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Left.

We've talked about this before and the general consensus was you'll always protect the hand that writes the checks.

"Right handed people take left turns"

For me, honestly, I feel pretty comfortable on both sides. I just say left because MSRH is pretty much the only track I've ridden, and the faster corners there are lefties. So I really have nothing to judge my right handed corner turning abilities. I feel like I can hang off farther on the left than the right.

I actually feel more comfortable with the bike leaned over on either side, then I do riding static. I think it's a euphoria thing.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
BossLady
CMRA #898

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'09 ZX6R

Member Garage

We just talked about this yesterday. Noticed I had no ckn strips on the right but some on the left after a track day. Thought it was maybe cause MSR is mostly right curves but I started noticing that I am WAY more stiff on lefters. Not sure if it's because I lowsided on the left
Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #14
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Left

I have OCD which keeps me from making right turns at all.
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

I am telling you peeps, if you are right handed you will balance naturally on your left foot. When making a left turn you weight should be on the left peg and your legs should be holding you up (aka this is balance and control). By instinct you should turn better to the left than the right (if you are right handed). This has been proven several times, balance favors the opposite of brain orientation and dominance. Right handed people will balance more effectively with their left foot, left handed people will balance more effectively with their right foot.

Your brain is wired to function that way, if you know why I would be impressed.... Any takers?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:39 AM   #16
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
I am telling you peeps, if you are right handed you will balance naturally on your left foot. When making a left turn you weight should be on the left peg and your legs should be holding you up (aka this is balance and control). By instinct you should turn better to the left than the right (if you are right handed). This has been proven several times, balance favors the opposite of brain orientation and dominance. Right handed people will balance more effectively with their left foot, left handed people will balance more effectively with their right foot.

Your brain is wired to function that way, if you know why I would be impressed.... Any takers?
There's a lot of other factors involved though. If a motorcycle was perfectly symmetrical and no one had ever crashed one you'd be right. Problem is: throttle is on the right, brake is on the left, and shifter is on the left..........and people crash.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 08-31-2009, 09:40 AM   #17
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:

A hint from Wikipedia, it starts with the Vestibular system....

"The vestibular system, which contributes to our balance and our sense of spatial orientation, is the sensory system that provides the dominant input about movement and equilibrioception. Together with the cochlea, a part of the auditory system, it constitutes the labyrinth of the inner ear, situated in the vestibulum in the inner ear (Figure 1). As our movements consist of rotations and translations, the vestibular system comprises two components: the semicircular canal system, which indicate rotational movements; and the otoliths, which indicate linear accelerations. The vestibular system sends signals primarily to the neural structures that control our eye movements, and to the muscles that keep us upright. The projections to the former provide the anatomical basis of the vestibulo-ocular reflex, which is required for clear vision; and the projections to the muscles that control our posture are necessary to keep us upright."
Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #18
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
There's a lot of other factors involved though. If a motorcycle was perfectly symmetrical and no one had ever crashed one you'd be right. Problem is: throttle is on the right, brake is on the left, and shifter is on the left..........and people crash.
Yeah but have you crashed due to the location of control input? I have crashed and it didn't have anything to do with the controls of the motorcycle, me making a mistake on speed, too much brake, too little brake, etc etc.... balance and favoring one direction over the other (to me) has very little to do with the controls of the motorcycle. And a motorcycle is symmetrical in respects to the bars, tyres, pegs, and seat. There are other components of the bike that are not but they shouldn't effect the directional orientation of the rider. Mostly in peoples heads

Did I mention that I was a complete and utter geek? Sorry, I get off on this stuff.... my wife hates this side of me.....
Old 08-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
brisingr23
This place has the Gheyz!

Experience: 2 years
left. i feel awkward leaning to the right, ive found myself thinking bout pushing on the handlebar to make my bike lean in deeper and at the same time im thinking bout my hand on the throttle and not wanting to chop it and pay dearly for it. i dont have to think bout lefts because each one of my hands is serving a purpose where as on my rights the right hand is doing all the work.
brisingr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Yeah but have you crashed due to the location of control input?
no, but people's body position effects their ability to operate the input controls. some people might like left handers better because they can operate the throttle whereas when they're on the right they their arm in such a way that they can't twist their wrist.

Alternatively some people like right-handers better because they can shift.

Quote:
I have crashed and it didn't have anything to do with the controls of the motorcycle, me making a mistake on speed, too much brake, too little brake, etc etc.... balance and favoring one direction over the other (to me) has very little to do with the controls of the motorcycle. And a motorcycle is symmetrical in respects to the bars, tyres, pegs, and seat. There are other components of the bike that are not but they shouldn't effect the directional orientation of the rider. Mostly in peoples heads

Did I mention that I was a complete and utter geek? Sorry, I get off on this stuff.... my wife hates this side of me.....
People might not crash because of the controls, but they do crash. A lot of times people are apprehensive about leaning the bike as far on that side of the bike again. I'm right handed, but all of my lowsides have been on the left. So even though you think I'm naturally more comfortable going left, I'm less comfortable because subconciously I associate going left with going DOWN.

CMRA #302

Advertisement