MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
Ohlins Stabilizer vs. Scotts Damper?

Ok I have the scotts damper on my Sv. And have recently really started tweaking with it but overall the sv is pretty smooth and doesnt get bad head shake because its alot of roll on bottom end not much in the middle or top... Well this last weekend I picked up a 2004 gsxr 600 and found a good deal on an ohlins stabilyzer. what major differences are they and what different functions do they serve. I do like the idea of on the fly adjustments for the scotts but for literally 1/3 of the price do I go with the ohlins. Its been awhile since I have rode an inline 600 but my r1 gets head shake real bad during acceleration not to much margin for error. And I know an inline is like a light switch and is far less forgiving than my SV is...thanks in advance

-Nick
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ohlins brackets for rotary stabilizer on a 954? ochiwon How To's and Q & A's 3 03-14-2011 09:28 AM
scotts stabilizer superkat General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 03-02-2010 10:54 PM
Scotts Damper Problem solved Prodigy Stunters Lounge 11 01-07-2009 05:43 PM
Need to borrow scotts steering damper Somebody1010 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 10-14-2007 07:27 PM
A concern about Scotts and GPR steering damper. Nox Performance and Modifications 1 07-04-2006 06:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Is it the Ohlins rotary or linear damper? Either one it doesn't matter, IMHO the Ohlins linear is a better unit, I prefer the linear dampers over the rotary dampers.

Now, on an SV a damper is wholly un-necessary. The only reason I'd even put one on one is if I was going to race.

Ohlins rotary or linear, doesn't matter, both are very good if not "the best" on the market.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

ohlins linear would be on the gsxr and the scotts rotary came on the sv,the guy I bought it from it was his back up cmra bike. I am justifying spending 150 on a linear or 300 on a scotts.. Im also incorporating the probability of a highside it seems like that ohlins linear would be hidden enough that it could be pretty bulletproof.. but I could be wrong
Old 08-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Nothing is really protected from a crash.

IMHO, either one is just fine, I just prefer the linear dampers.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

probably going to scoop the ohlins next week.. I can always sell it if its not doing the trick.. but then again I might just stick to my sv its fun beating inlines they have no excuse other than running bad lines and not being smooth haha
Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
probably going to scoop the ohlins next week.. I can always sell it if its not doing the trick.. but then again I might just stick to my sv its fun beating inlines they have no excuse other than running bad lines and not being smooth haha
I'm not sure what "not doing the trick" means, but if it leaks or something like that, it's extremely easy to rebuild (the only really "specialized" tool you'll need is snap ring pliers). Now if it's got a bent rod or something, even then you could get a new one from Ohlins cheap.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I'm not sure what "not doing the trick" means, but if it leaks or something like that, it's extremely easy to rebuild (the only really "specialized" tool you'll need is snap ring pliers). Now if it's got a bent rod or something, even then you could get a new one from Ohlins cheap.
the doing the trick would be if I didnt like the on the fly capabilities but for most tracks I have been too I set up my scotts and have never touched it so ill probably go with the ohlins by the way Tom you have helped me out alot when it comes to the sv and what not when am I going to get to meet you at the track.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I have used Ohlins linear dampers for prolly 14 years with no problems, never even had to rebuild one of them, seems everyone likes the rotary scotts,gpr, but I love the Ohlins linear
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

In our experience with the Ohlins linear rod style dampers, unless it has the racing upgrade kit, they go away after awhile.
Bill Drake had numerous issues on 2 of his bikes a few years back, as well as a few other racers I know.
Don't get me wrong, I love Ohlins stuff, but their rod style damper leaves a bit to be desired in a road race setting unless upgraded, which is a pricey bit for an already pricey part.

IMO, the best damper out there currently is the Scotts.
Minimal warranty issues (read ONE in over 10 years in dealing with them) and they crash very well.

GPR's seem to have a nasty habit of leaking, I've lost count of how many I've sent back for warranty. To GPR's credit, they always honor the warranty, but the customer has to pay shipping to GPR and wait up to 6 weeks to get the damper back. Don't even get me started about Hyperpro.....

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

thanks patrick I was waiting for you to chime in.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Happy to help!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
I have a Scotts on both my sv's and an ohlins on my 750 with no problems out of the three. I've had all of em for atleast 3 years
Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
the doing the trick would be if I didnt like the on the fly capabilities but for most tracks I have been too I set up my scotts and have never touched it so ill probably go with the ohlins by the way Tom you have helped me out alot when it comes to the sv and what not when am I going to get to meet you at the track.
No problem man, happy to help out if I can.

I've never had any issues with Ohlins, Hyper-Pro (my personal fav), or Scotts (well, not really any problems, other than having to rebuild it a couple of times).

I don't know if my Ohlins was the "race" version as Patrick mentioned, but if you are looking at a "cheap" Ohlins damper, I'd buy one that someone took off their ZX10 or something and spend the $100 for the upgrade from Ohlins.

A lot of folks will try to pass off their Ohlins unit that comes stock off the new Kawis as a "race" damper, but it's not. It's a real Ohlins, but it's really weak and not like what you'll be looking for performance-wise. However, like I mentioned, you can send it off to Ohlins for $100 and they'll put new internals in it so it functions the way you need it to.

My Ohlins performed flawlessly for a couple of years- no leaks or issues.

After 3 seasons of racing with a Scotts, we had to rebuild it twice, but that's really no big deal either.

I wouldn't worry about adjustments "on the fly", it's something I usually only mess with once per day during a whole track day, if I mess with it at all.

Currently, I use the stock Suzuki damper, not had one problem so far this season
Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Badchev
Slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

I've used both the Scotts ('04 ZX-10) and Ohlins (ZX-10, R1, 999) with no issues at all. Set'em and forget'em, and the Ohlins do crash well
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #15
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*

alright im going to give the ohlins a try. save me 200 and use that for some rearsets
Old 08-31-2009, 02:10 AM   #16
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Happy to help!
My scotts has a little dial for hard to soft settting and when I try to turn it soft it just keeps going and going like its going to come off and I really cant tel any difference like the is broke but I feel it tunring. I know on my GPR V4 dampner I can tell a HUGE difference from no dampner all the way to forcing handles to turn. SO what the hells with me dampner am i doing something wrong

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #17
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Its broken. Send it to a service center.
Ohlins linear is far better in my experience.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement