MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
agentjayjay

Feedback Rating: (0)

Motorcycle Painting

I ordered a new front fairing for my ex500, which if have broken. I want to paint it black. I called sherwin-williams, and benjamin more, etc. for single stage paint+reducer+activator=$163.30, not including tax. then i have to learn about how to actually paint it. There is this automotive place that could do it for $125, how i am going to get the fairing there is another question. Is there a cheap easy way to do this? Or some motorcycle painters who can do this easy and cheap?
agentjayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle painting honorsdaddy General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-05-2012 12:21 PM
Painting a Helmet NewRider Gear Talk 20 12-29-2010 01:22 AM
Need help painting Sage Corum Performance and Modifications 1 08-30-2010 01:41 PM
Painting... Hamm General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 12-13-2008 12:14 AM
Painting.... dbonezny How To's and Q & A's 17 09-24-2006 07:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentjayjay View Post
I ordered a new front fairing for my ex500, which if have broken. I want to paint it black. I called sherwin-williams, and benjamin more, etc. for single stage paint+reducer+activator=$163.30, not including tax. then i have to learn about how to actually paint it. There is this automotive place that could do it for $125, how i am going to get the fairing there is another question. Is there a cheap easy way to do this? Or some motorcycle painters who can do this easy and cheap?
You just want solid black? That's easy. I can get it done for you or show you how to do it yourself.

Best bet is basecoat/ clearcoat, lasts longer, easier to do and looks better with less effort imho.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
thieves

^ dont' mean to hijack the thread...but could you give me some tips on painting flat black, or let me know what the process would be, or how much one would charge? You can PM if you'd rather leave the thread clean.

Thanks.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Moc05
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2007 ZZR600(Sold)
2008 ZX-10R(Stolen)
2014 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Moc05 Send a message via Yahoo to Moc05
I've been thinking about this myself. What kind of prices has everyone paid to get their full bike painted?
Moc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

can i get in on this paint action? can anyone fix/shave rash on my fairings and repaint em? both my side fairings have rash and need to be fixed? any takers? i also need my tank painted gloss black from silver
Old 08-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
agentjayjay

how about a big paint day? sunday preferably, after 6pm. this sunday (8/30/2009) is okay, i'll be out of town this labor day weekend.
agentjayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
boner12
Mexican Kanevil

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
06, 636 ( bulletproof)
99 zx9r sold
2010 ducati streetfighter

i just painted my fairings flat black with some spray cans it turned out pretty good....partiALLY drunk by the way needless TO say was satisfied when i sobered up. i think if i could learn how to buff on that clear i would be pretty good

Last edited by boner12; 08-29-2009 at 12:09 AM.
boner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

Old 08-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Old 08-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
thieves

I would love to attend a clinic and get some how to info if you ever decided to do something on a weekend sometime. Why do you say no spray paint? Isn't it essentially the same thing? Is it just because of the consistency or something? I may have to get it done by a pro or something. Don't really have anywhere to put the equipment right now.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
I would love to attend a clinic and get some how to info if you ever decided to do something on a weekend sometime. Why do you say no spray paint? Isn't it essentially the same thing? Is it just because of the consistency or something? I may have to get it done by a pro or something. Don't really have anywhere to put the equipment right now.
Spray paint reacts with reduced paints something awful. Not to mention it goes on so thick (even when thinly applied) that it gums up really bad when you try to sand it off. That is the worst for me, I hate spending so much extra time sanding that down and it wastes sand paper too (it gums up and you can't use that paper any more).

The reaction it has with reduced paints is what really kills it for me too. If you don't sand all that rattle can off, it'll blister when it reacts and that's enough to drive a man to j**kin' off
Old 08-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
Estephens13

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
05 ZX10R

I am in the middle of prepping my bike for paint(my first real paint job), and trust me spray paint is the devil. I am having a of a time getting it all off. I has already caused a few problems with wrinkling under the new primer.
Estephens13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estephens13 View Post
I am in the middle of prepping my bike for paint(my first real paint job), and trust me spray paint is the devil. I am having a of a time getting it all off. I has already caused a few problems with wrinkling under the new primer.
Yeah, and no amount of additional primer on top of the blistered primer is going to help either- it'll just continue to bleed through. Indeed, spray paint is the Devil.

Advertisement