MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Canuck View Post
Ahh, photobucket is blocked at work so I can't see any of the images posted.
PM me your email addy
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The survey said WHAT? Grinchy Off Topic 6 01-24-2012 11:40 PM
SURVEY - Which SmartPhone do you have? silverfudge Off Topic 36 05-10-2011 03:59 AM
Looking for a survey company. GIXXERKELLY Off Topic 6 04-28-2010 11:02 AM
THE GSS SURVEY IC COMPLETE! BUT I NEED A SITE TO HOST IT FastLine Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 5 09-13-2009 11:27 AM
Friends survey BoostJunkie Off Topic 30 06-20-2006 06:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #22
Mike Ingle
www.sheasupermoto.com

Bike(s):
2007 CRF 450 Supermoto
2007 KTM 560 Supermoto
2007 CRF 250 Motocross
KTM 950 Adventure
KTM 990 Superduke

I have not started on the jumps in my sketch but what I have seen in the past so the beginners and experts all have a good time is putting table tops close enough where the experts can jump two table tops at a time and beginners only has to jump one. Make it the same with doubles and you can also put a single in front of a table so experts can land on the backside of the table and begginer can land on top of the table or roll the single and jump the table. We just need to make sure to incorperate a track that everyone can ride and have fun on. If we can get whoops it will be a big plus! I am attaching what I have started on. I am sorry to hear that we have to cut out the best section of the track and start out building inside the red circle. I have seen in the past promoters try and cut down the straights by using cones or hay bales and it just make the track unsafe. If we could leave the circled red section alone and cut out the two main straights that would be best. If not possible then so be it. Lets get the dirt sections laid out and then we can see what we have to work with and lay out jumps. Please please let me help when it comes time to put in the jumps. I have been around supermoto long enough to have a good idea what works for everyone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GSS track maps.pdf (22.3 KB, 66 views)
Mike Ingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #23
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ingle View Post
Please please let me help when it comes time to put in the jumps. I have been around supermoto long enough to have a good idea what works for everyone.
I distinctly recall someone on this board calling you a "bull in a china closet". With words like that, I wouldn't have figure you to have been around for a while.

Look forward to meeting you, and please work let us know what needs to happen to bring the FL supermoto guys here.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #24
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
im still trying to learn to go fast on pavement , now ill need someone to teach me how to jump .. sign

new files from tim
http://mekrew.com/uploads/GSS_prop_1.dwg
http://mekrew.com/uploads/GSS_prop_1.pdf

I like mikes idea to get rid of the straight ... according to the post tim made we have all that area in the dark along the back straight to work with ... lets get rid of that because the section in red isnt THAT bad to have with those turns
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #25
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
I have not started on the jumps in my sketch but what I have seen in the past so the beginners and experts all have a good time is putting table tops close enough where the experts can jump two table tops at a time and beginners only has to jump one. Make it the same with doubles and you can also put a single in front of a table so experts can land on the backside of the table and begginer can land on top of the table or roll the single and jump the table. We just need to make sure to incorperate a track that everyone can ride and have fun on. If we can get whoops it will be a big plus! I am attaching what I have started on. I am sorry to hear that we have to cut out the best section of the track and start out building inside the red circle. I have seen in the past promoters try and cut down the straights by using cones or hay bales and it just make the track unsafe. If we could leave the circled red section alone and cut out the two main straights that would be best. If not possible then so be it. Lets get the dirt sections laid out and then we can see what we have to work with and lay out jumps. Please please let me help when it comes time to put in the jumps. I have been around supermoto long enough to have a good idea what works for everyone.
Mike, I agree with you on creating a track that is challenging for the beginner and expert. I am trying to incorporate that into my design, by adding triples, doubles, step-ups, lots of whoops, and tabletops. We want this track to attract the fast guys well, so this will not be little Johnnies backyard BMX track.

One thing I noticed on your design is you crossed the swale ditches, and that is something the owner requested we not do. If you look at the last pic I posted, you'll see the shaded areas we have to work with. One of my designs incorporates over 2,000' of dirt section, so we have lots of room to play with.

Keep those ideas coming, and we surely will include you in all phases of this project, just as everyone else. This is our track, a riders track, one we all designed, and built, and I really want it to reflect that.

Lets try and get our drawing completed soon.

Tim
Old 08-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #26
Mike Ingle
www.sheasupermoto.com

Bike(s):
2007 CRF 450 Supermoto
2007 KTM 560 Supermoto
2007 CRF 250 Motocross
KTM 950 Adventure
KTM 990 Superduke

I am a "bull in a china cabinet" most of the time but I also come from a motorcross back ground. I have ridden supermoto ameture events all over Cali, parts of Florida and raced the last two AMA seasons. I have seen enough events to see what works for everyone in the dirt and what does not. The X-games sucked this year because the dirt was too easy. Thats why Burkhart, Wardy or any American did not win this year. The year before the dirt was an overdose for slicks (they were racing the SX on the same track) what I have found is we really do not need alot of dirt it just makes for more maintaince and time for track prep. It also scares off alot of people and people get hurt. All we need are two sections and to do our best to get rid of those long straights. Make one section technical with a few big jumps and few flattrack style turns and make the other have sharper berm style turns with some whoops and throw in a few other obstacles. Like was said before somewhere in this thread "less is more" less dirt makes it less intiminating for all the new guys and less dirt makes prepping the track easier. I will look again at the grounds we have to work with. I just wanted to give some feedback and keep the ball rolling.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #27
mcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
We discussed this and most likely we will make a shicane in the straights by using cones and hay bails. The is more than enough room to build a awsome dirt section in the area Dave wants first. It is flat and dont have to worry about drainage. So submit your ideas for that section. Remeber we have to have it flow both ways. So the intrance and exits would have to be between the two corners of that smal straight on the cart area... Hey we are moving forward..
Wes,

if we are planning on putting in shicanes using cones/hay bails, does that mean we will have to move them after every session so the cars will be able to run the normal straight aways?

Shicanes would work for a supermoto only trackday, but from the looks of it, we will be running with the cars for quite some time.

It looks like the best bet would be to have a dirt section in place of the longer back straight. The front straight will probably be short enough to run with a supermoto.

Are we able to use any of the space on the outside of the track, say right after the back straight (running CCW)?
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:46 PM   #28
Jason_Canuck

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

I wasn't trying to take a dig at you, I just remember Jody posting up about your riding style.

I do seriously appreciate your input, especially the part about making it less intimidating for us newer SM riders.

Wes and Tim, are we still on for the 27th?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 PM   #29
mcd

Quote:
I am a "bull in a china cabinet" most of the time but I also come from a motorcross back ground. I have ridden supermoto ameture events all over Cali, parts of Florida and raced the last two AMA seasons. I have seen enough events to see what works for everyone in the dirt and what does not. The X-games sucked this year because the dirt was too easy. Thats why Burkhart, Wardy or any American did not win this year. The year before the dirt was an overdose for slicks (they were racing the SX on the same track) what I have found is we really do not need alot of dirt it just makes for more maintaince and time for track prep. It also scares off alot of people and people get hurt. All we need are two sections and to do our best to get rid of those long straights. Make one section technical with a few big jumps and few flattrack style turns and make the other have sharper berm style turns with some whoops and throw in a few other obstacles. Like was said before somewhere in this thread "less is more" less dirt makes it less intiminating for all the new guys and less dirt makes prepping the track easier. I will look again at the grounds we have to work with. I just wanted to give some feedback and keep the ball rolling.

Agreed, best to have a simpler, less intimidating track, especially starting out. I am sure with the exception of a couple of people, most of us have never ridden true supermoto, so we need to start from the bottom and work our way up. More tables than doubles, that is what I have found from riding motocross. A table is much easier to work up to jumping versus a double. What would also be nice would be a turn with multiple berms, outside and inside. The inside does not have to be big, but just enough of to carry some speed for a good pass.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #30
mcd

Quote:
Wes and Tim, are we still on for the 27th?
What about 09/12, anybody going to ride?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 PM   #31
Jason_Canuck

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

9/12 where?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #32
Jason_Canuck

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Nevermind, I just found it, guess you're talking about Groove Union.

However, did they run on Saturday past?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #33
crawl

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14

Quote:

No, I went out to watch just in case any bikes showed. About 10 cars, no motorcycles...
Old Bikes: 2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 / 11 Triumph Tiger 800XC / 06 Ducati Monster S2R1000 / 04 BMW R1150GS ADV / 06 Ducati Multistrada / 04 Honda CBR1000RR / 02 Triumph Speed Triple / 96 Suzuki RF600R / 89 Kawasaki EX500 / 94 Suzuki GS500
crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #34
mcd

Quote:

Who is running on the 27th? It was my understanding all the supermoto days starting out will be run with Groove Union?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #35
Mike Ingle
www.sheasupermoto.com

Bike(s):
2007 CRF 450 Supermoto
2007 KTM 560 Supermoto
2007 CRF 250 Motocross
KTM 950 Adventure
KTM 990 Superduke

[QUOTE=Jason_Canuck;2198224]I wasn't trying to take a dig at you, I just remember Jody posting up about your riding style.

Yea Jody can say this because he has a roadrace championship under his belt and he is one of my best friends. He is trying to help me smooth out on the road side of riding and he likes to bust my every once in a while
Old 08-31-2009, 10:10 PM   #36
ktmracer
You aint FAST! WAKE UP!!

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
CBX Twin Turbo's
Ktm 560 Supermoto, Ktm 450 supermoto
Ktm 280 Supermoto
Ktm 65 Supermoto
A whole wharehouse full..

The hay bails is just to slow things down. I have no problem with the straights. I'll wind my bikes up tighter than banjo strings. I personally want to leave at least the front straight for wide open which gives the best of all worlds. Right now we need to concentrate on the section to the North like the drawing Tim did in that area. The other areas in black are gonna take some more thinking. As far as the doubles and pro jumps. As far as i know there is only maybe 2 or three guys around here that would even attempt them. I might but i got 2 mortgages 3kids on and on. Are there any measurements that can be provided for distances on the jumps say that xtrm or ama built. We can build them but just how big and long?? Does anyone know any pool builders down that way. They always need to dump dirt. And most time free. Or a building being built that has to dig a retention pond. So if any of you see construction happening stop and ask. Cant hurt..
Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 PM   #37
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
there building a giant pool by my house with a sign that says free fill dirt
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #38
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

I just uploaded 2 new files.

Here are some screen shots of my design. There is a total of 3,358' of dirt in my design. that's almost 3/4 of a mile!

GSS prop 3

GSS prop 3 a
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #39
Mike Ingle
www.sheasupermoto.com

Bike(s):
2007 CRF 450 Supermoto
2007 KTM 560 Supermoto
2007 CRF 250 Motocross
KTM 950 Adventure
KTM 990 Superduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
The hay bails is just to slow things down. I have no problem with the straights. I'll wind my bikes up tighter than banjo strings. I personally want to leave at least the front straight for wide open which gives the best of all worlds. Right now we need to concentrate on the section to the North like the drawing Tim did in that area. The other areas in black are gonna take some more thinking. As far as the doubles and pro jumps. As far as i know there is only maybe 2 or three guys around here that would even attempt them. I might but i got 2 mortgages 3kids on and on. Are there any measurements that can be provided for distances on the jumps say that xtrm or ama built. We can build them but just how big and long?? Does anyone know any pool builders down that way. They always need to dump dirt. And most time free. Or a building being built that has to dig a retention pond. So if any of you see construction happening stop and ask. Cant hurt..
If everyone has there sights set on bringing in riders and holding races out at this track then the front straight will have to be cut down. When you hold a race you must remember that you are going to have a lot of 250's, and kids show up on KLX 110's and even KTM 50's. That front straight is murder on bikes under 450 and even on a 450 you are banging off the rev limiter 3/4 the way down (with tall grearing). The track is not very wide all ready and to try to put hay bales to slow people down well...it is better than having the long straight but it also becomes dangerous.
As far as the jumps are concerned AMA a lot of times lets the racers build the jumps, Donny Marks is out there on a bob cat just putting jumps where ever the racers think a jump needs to be. A track to look at is Miller Motorsports ( http://www.xtrm.com/supermoto/schedu...ackMap_big.jpg ) This track is pretty much the best track on the circuit. Another thing to consider is the dirt. The dirt at Miller Motorsports has very little maintaince, it is a very hard pack clay (alot like Rio Bravo) so the rain does not have to much effect on the track as far as washing away the dirt.
I am just throwing this out there because I believe the less maintaince that has to be done on the track the less money and time will have to be spent in the long run. Go to ( http://www.xtrm.com/supermoto/schedule.htm ) and look at some of the tracks we have raced this year. It might be of some help.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #40
ktmracer
You aint FAST! WAKE UP!!

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
CBX Twin Turbo's
Ktm 560 Supermoto, Ktm 450 supermoto
Ktm 280 Supermoto
Ktm 65 Supermoto
A whole wharehouse full..

Dam. Starting to look like an iron man course.. I love it!!!!

Advertisement