Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

New Orleans admits to taking guns

New Orleans Now Admits It Seized Firearms From Citizens
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
March 16, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - A Second Amendment group calls it a "stunning reversal." After denying it for months, the City of New Orleans on Wednesday admitted that it does have a stockpile of firearms seized from private citizens in the days following Hurricane Katrina.

The city even took lawyers to the place where some 1,000 firearms are being stored.

"This is a very significant event," said attorney Dan Holliday, who represents National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation in an on-going lawsuit seeking to stop the city from seizing privately-owned firearms.

The city's disclosure came as attorneys for both sides prepared for a court hearing on a motion to hold the city in contempt. (On March 1, The Second Amendment Foundation and the National Rifle Association filed a motion to have New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and Police Superintendent Warren Riley held in contempt of court for refusing to comply with an injunction to stop illegal gun confiscations and return all seized firearms to their rightful owners.)

"We're almost in disbelief," said Second Amendment Foundation Founder Alan Gottlieb on Wednesday. "For months, the city has maintained it did not have any guns in its possession that had been taken from people following the hurricane. Now our attorneys have seen the proof that New Orleans was less than honest with the court."

Under an agreement with the court, the hearing on the contempt motion has been delayed for two weeks, and during that time, the city reportedly will set up a process to return the guns to their lawful owners.

"While we are stunned at this complete reversal on the city's part, the important immediate issue is making sure gun owners get their property back," Gottlieb said.

"What happened in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina was an outrage," he added. "Equally disturbing is the fact that it apparently took a motion for contempt to force the city to admit what it had been denying for the past five months."

As Cybercast News Service reported in February, the National Rifle Association used images of law enforcement officers confiscating legally possessed firearms from New Orleans residents to rally conservatives at a recent conference in Washington.

National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre urged people attending the Conservative Political Action Conference to "Remember New Orleans!"

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama taking guns! Solracer Off Topic 5 01-23-2013 04:36 PM
Tate admits foul. Solracer Sports 0 09-27-2012 02:47 PM
new orleans to return guns witchdoctor575 The Circus 4 10-08-2008 06:58 PM
U.S. Soldier/rapist admits guilt AliceInChains02 Off Topic 4 11-16-2006 04:45 PM
Liberal paper admits mistake....again ScooterTrash Off Topic 10 03-24-2006 09:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
1hander
1hand is enouph

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
04 R1

Send a message via Yahoo to 1hander
sorry son of a oughtta have their nutz cut off,
1hander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

that was a bad thing and a good thing but mostly a bad thing because it ****ed w/ the constitution and that's a NONO!
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Red_Rocket
I wanna go fast!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2000 ZX-12R (Slow ET Bike)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
Honda 50 (HA)

Send a message via Yahoo to Red_Rocket
I C U R out whoring up news tonight.
DJ JONES #1762 & #777(Hurricane Alley Racing)
Humble, TX (MDB Racing)
2000 ZX-12R NOS Bike
2004 Turbo Busa
Red_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

He's feeling liberal! lol

J/k Tim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #6
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

well, they didnt take enough guns or the right guns since they were shooting at relief copters.
I am with that Alice on this one, they messing with the second amendment, thats a romper room no-no

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

i'm not a ! you're the one talking about the Romper room:laughing6
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
mad
Banned

Bike(s):
Suzuki M50

User is banned

mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #9
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash
well, they didnt take enough guns or the right guns since they were shooting at relief copters.
I am with that Alice on this one, they messing with the second amendment, thats a romper room no-no

That's why gun 'control' is mostly a joke. You ain't gonna get the guns away from the people who shouldn't have them. :eh:
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #10
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
There is no "control " without discipline. And there aint enough of that to be effective at gun control.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #11
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

i confiscated some at the dome

I was working at the Reliant Center when the hurricane first hit and our mayor welcomed the fine residents of New Orleans to our city. I was one of the people searching the busses as they rolled into the staging area. On the day that I was searching we only found 10 -15 pistols from what I recall. All were small caliber handguns, but we did find many pipes, machetes, knives and switchblades. No one could show proof of ownership of these firearms, nor where they in locked cases of any kind.

I don't know about you, but it didn't make sense to allow people to enter Reliant Center with 30k other evacuees armed with pistols and machetes. Remember the fiasco at the Superdome? Granted, I only searched for one day not the whole week they were coming in. None of the people that we disarmed seemed to remotely worried about where their pistols were going. They were each given a case number and the number to the property room where the evidence was tagged and stored. Any of the "owners" could come back at a later time and claim the weapons if they weren't found to be stolen or used in a crime.

These guns were found in addition to the unopened cases of liquor, cartons of cigarettes, Gucci purses, antique silverware, unopened prescription medication (namely vicodin, promethozene cough syrup, and xanax), x-boxes, and dvds that were also found on the busses. So i guess that it would have been logical to let all of these consumer goods flow into Reliant center in addition to the pistols and machetes?

Last edited by andre3k; 04-05-2006 at 01:22 AM.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #12
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
I was working at the Reliant Center when the hurricane first hit and our mayor welcomed the fine residents of New Orleans to our city. I was one of the people searching the busses as they rolled into the staging area. On the day that I was searching we only found 10 -15 pistols from what I recall. All were small caliber handguns, but we did find many pipes, machetes, knives and switchblades. No one could show proof of ownership of these firearms, nor where they in locked cases of any kind.

I don't know about you, but it didn't make sense to allow people to enter Reliant Center with 30k other evacuees armed with pistols and machetes. Remember the fiasco at the Superdome? Granted, I only searched for one day not the whole week they were coming in. None of the people that we disarmed seemed to remotely worried about where their pistols were going. They were each given a case number and the number to the property room where the evidence was tagged and stored. Any of the "owners" could come back at a later time and claim the weapons if they weren't found to be stolen or used in a crime.

These guns were found in addition to the unopened cases of liquor, cartons of cigarettes, Gucci purses, antique silverware, unopened prescription medication (namely vicodin, promethozene cough syrup, and xanax), x-boxes, and dvds that were also found on the busses. So i guess that it would have been logical to let all of these consumer goods flow into Reliant center in addition to the pistols and machetes?
Would you have expected any less. After all the BS from katrina I'll never step foot in New Orleans again. F'em.

Advertisement