MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
thieves

Any way to tell if it's the battery or charging system for sure?

Well, after nearly 4 months bikeless I got mine running again...for about 30-45 minutes...

I'm not sure if it's relavent, but riding home yesterday, I felt that the bike was running a little hot at 198-205ish on the highway between 60-80mph, but didn't think too much of it. Get near my place and exit the highway and about to turn down the street, noticed the guage looked a little dim...weird. Come up to the stop light and before even coming to a full stop the engine cuts off (and also notice that the temp guage got as high as 244...which I guess means cooling system never kicked in?). There's still enough juice to light up the guages all the way, but not enough to get the engine started.

Any ideas?

Had to walk that home about 2 blocks yesterday, which is apparently a bit harder than it sounds.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get home when your battery or charging system craps out Romeo36 General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 01-06-2012 07:40 PM
Gixxer Battery/Charging system problem? Tyco_18 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 12-20-2009 01:39 AM
M/C Battery Charging TxBritt08R1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 10-23-2009 09:35 AM
Need your HELP Part 2 of the battery/charging system PROBLEM! Racer X 05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 05-17-2008 09:21 PM
battery/charging system question Racer X 05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-16-2008 05:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
, homie. You just can't catch a break
Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
If you have a volt meter you can check the batter to see if it has a full charge
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
RAS_Houston

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
Well, after nearly 4 months bikeless I got mine running again...for about 30-45 minutes...

I'm not sure if it's relavent, but riding home yesterday, I felt that the bike was running a little hot at 198-205ish on the highway between 60-80mph, but didn't think too much of it. Get near my place and exit the highway and about to turn down the street, noticed the guage looked a little dim...weird. Come up to the stop light and before even coming to a full stop the engine cuts off (and also notice that the temp guage got as high as 244...which I guess means cooling system never kicked in?). There's still enough juice to light up the guages all the way, but not enough to get the engine started.

Any ideas?

Had to walk that home about 2 blocks yesterday, which is apparently a bit harder than it sounds.
Sounds kinda strange to me. Correct me if im wrong, but even if the battery is dead, you an push start it (bumb start) and run it and it shouldnt just die??? I just had one go bad on me (battery). Someone else might chime in here with some suggestions.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

i believe for a quick and dirty test connect a voltmeter/multimeter to the battery, measure battery voltage should be 12ish, crank the bike and it should jump to more like 13.5-14ish.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

Last edited by MudBug; 08-26-2009 at 10:10 AM.
MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Fix it again...

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post

Any ideas?

The water pump is run, mechanically, by the engine and should function as long as the bike is running. At feeway speeds this is all the cooling it needs. In stop and go traffic the fan should come on to provide the additional airflow. Depending on the bike, the fan might not come on till past 220
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Just bring in to me or Patrick and let us handle it and when U get it back then U can ride it, its usually really simple, quit being a cheap , U arent talking much money from the very first problem, getting the cover replaced and the broken bolt mess and the system checked out and repaired, I would have done the whole job in a few days maybe a week and would have prolly been just a couple dollars more than U spent messing with it for months, but yea it sounds more like the charging system has a problem, do U really wanna go there again?, I will help anyway I can and I,m sure Patrick will as well, just let a pro handle it and be done allready
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
, homie. You just can't catch a break
No , man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
Just bring in to me or Patrick and let us handle it and when U get it back then U can ride it, its usually really simple, quit being a cheap , U arent talking much money from the very first problem, getting the cover replaced and the broken bolt mess and the system checked out and repaired, I would have done the whole job in a few days maybe a week and would have prolly been just a couple dollars more than U spent messing with it for months, but yea it sounds more like the charging system has a problem, do U really wanna go there again?, I will help anyway I can and I,m sure Patrick will as well, just let a pro handle it and be done allready
Tim, I actually just got the bike back from Patrick yesterday. Had someone offer to haul the bike up there on Saturday so I just took them up on the offer and decided to get it done with. This time instead of just getting the broken bolt out I decided to just leave all parts there and get it all done with, which he did. But I guess there's something else going on now that I wasn't previously aware of
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
a bike is like a car, it will run with dead battery, just wont start. if it died while riding it is the charing system. remember to fully charge the battery after replacing the bad parts.

NOPE

Not on the later model bikes with fuel injection. They will NOT run with the battery disconnected or a fully shorted/discharged battery. If the battery is only low but will still light everything up, just not enough voltage to crank it, you can push start it and it will LIKELY start and the charging system will provide enough voltage for it to run and slowly recharge the battery to a degree. If the battery has a dead cell, it likely won't hold a charge and even though the charging system is working, when you kill the bike, its not gonna start back up.

To the OP....

Do what Pyro stated, check the battery voltage, it needs to be at least 12.3-12.5v while sitting there. If not, its not going to start. You need to fully charge the battery. BUT since it died WHILE you were riding it, I am guessing the battery just crapped out....probably had a cell die...It will still show some voltage BUT if you put it under a load, that voltage will plummet.

A bike's charging system will only work well on a fully charged battery. Its not like a car to where the alternator is putting out 14v at 60 amps....that shiat will charge up a dead battery in no time. A bike's charging system is capable of that voltage but no where near those amps. I'm guessing your battery just crapped out, but you need to check the charging system also with a voltmeter.

Example:

A static battery voltage of 12.2, then the engine running voltage may be 13.5

Then charge the battery and get a static voltage of 12.6, the running voltage will be 14.0 or more.

Basically, the system will only make so much voltage/amps based off of what its getting from the battery...its more of a "maintainer" really.

Go here and get edumacated....
http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ding-guide.php

It will tell you how to diagnose yo .

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
NOPE

Not on the later model bikes with fuel injection. They will NOT run with the battery disconnected or a fully shorted/discharged battery. If the battery is only low but will still light everything up, just not enough voltage to crank it, you can push start it and it will LIKELY start and the charging system will provide enough voltage for it to run and slowly recharge the battery to a degree. If the battery has a dead cell, it likely won't hold a charge and even though the charging system is working, when you kill the bike, its not gonna start back up.

To the OP....

Do what Pyro stated, check the battery voltage, it needs to be at least 12.3-12.5v while sitting there. If not, its not going to start. You need to fully charge the battery. BUT since it died WHILE you were riding it, I am guessing the battery just crapped out....probably had a cell die...It will still show some voltage BUT if you put it under a load, that voltage will plummet.

A bike's charging system will only work well on a fully charged battery. Its not like a car to where the alternator is putting out 14v at 60 amps....that shiat will charge up a dead battery in no time. A bike's charging system is capable of that voltage but no where near those amps. I'm guessing your battery just crapped out, but you need to check the charging system also with a voltmeter.

Example:

A static battery voltage of 12.2, then the engine running voltage may be 13.5

Then charge the battery and get a static voltage of 12.6, the running voltage will be 14.0 or more.

Basically, the system will only make so much voltage/amps based off of what its getting from the battery...its more of a "maintainer" really.

Go here and get edumacated....
http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ding-guide.php

It will tell you how to diagnose yo .

What he said.^

Plus if the battery is bad / shorting internally the charging system may not show proper output while it's running.

Had we known you had an issue we could have checked it further while it was here.
Being as the bike was crashed on the RH side, the stator may have been damaged, the wiring could have gotten nicked or crushed when you put it in the new cover, the stator wires may be pulled out of the plug, the wiring may be damaged where you went down on the right side, the battery may be bad from sitting up among other things.
If you can bring the battery by I can load test it to check it out.
If you need to borrow a trailer, you can use mine.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Bike(s):
thieves

Thanks, Patrick. Yeah, obviously if I knew something was up with the electrical system I would have asked to check it out, but it hasn't run in nearly 4 months, so I had no idea. Appreciate the offer on the trailer...the Tiburon just isn't equipped to haul it May be starting another "need a lift" thread soon.
Quote:
Old 08-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Wasent it wrecked on the LEFT side where the stator cover is? Or was it wrecked on the right side also? anytime I put a stator and cover on I check the charging system immediately to make sure its working properly to prevent something like this happening, sounds like the battery may have been ok thats why it started and ran for awhile until the battery ran down and thats when it died good luck with the repair
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

hellmy vw wont run with a dead battery. and my daytona also got me to the gas station for a morning ride and found the battery was dead, or to low.it was like 11.4 volts. after replacing the battery a few weeks later the regulator rectifier died. watch the stator go a week after my warranty is up,lol. knock on wood.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
Wasent it wrecked on the LEFT side where the stator cover is? Or was it wrecked on the right side also? anytime I put a stator and cover on I check the charging system immediately to make sure its working properly to prevent something like this happening, sounds like the battery may have been ok thats why it started and ran for awhile until the battery ran down and thats when it died good luck with the repair
Yeah, it was left, but then I guess that depends on what way you're looking at it I'm not sure of the status of the battery, but I know it did require a charge up at the shop before being able to start.
Quote:
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #17
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Car/bike/watercraft you reference the side of the vehicle based on driver/rider/operator's position.

Sounds like you're covered in advise though.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #18
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Car/bike/watercraft you reference the side of the vehicle based on driver/rider/operator's position.

Sounds like you're covered in advise though.
I know, I was just joking. I imagine he got confused on side because even though most damage was on left, I also had a right side rearset that needed to be replaced.
Quote:
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #19
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Ya bout that... sorry we dropped your bike on the opposite side when you were cleaning up JK
Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #20
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Ya bout that... sorry we dropped your bike on the opposite side when you were cleaning up JK
! i knew that seemed odd!
Quote:

Advertisement