MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
juniorsgixxer

Feedback Rating: (0)

need advice...04gsxr600 sputtering below 5k rpm

i have an 04-gsxr600 and its sputtering below 5k rpm..is it normal? anything above that it runs like a beast! its only has 9000 miles...any suggestions? one guy told me its because i dont have my ram air ducts in (but i doubt thats the case)..one guy told me to change the plugs...i just thought i'd post here where the pros come so i could get some good advice...thanks in advance for your help
juniorsgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
zx10 sputtering on low rpms mz-zx10r How To's and Q & A's 12 01-13-2014 11:24 AM
How do you Ride High RPM OR Low RPM Bobbarker20 Gear Talk 3 10-02-2008 06:26 PM
She's Sick.. - sputtering iRIDEsolo Performance and Modifications 9 01-03-2008 07:36 PM
Vibration at mid 5k rpm seratt How To's and Q & A's 11 09-13-2007 08:43 PM
Missing and Sputtering engine TX-Aggie General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 04-03-2007 01:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Why would you not have the ram air ducts in it? Thats not the problem though. Could be many things. Do you have a Power Commander on the bike? if so, try taking it off. A fresh set of plugs never hurts. Odds are, its a fuel supply problem down low....either caused by incorrect mapping, TPS sensor going awol, could be a lot of stuff. Does it do it at steady cruise or just accelerating through the low range?? Does it do it when wide open under 5000 or just part throttle?

More info needed.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Do you have any F.I. codes showing?
It could be alot of things, anything for a bad STVA to a clogged air filter.
I would also highly recommend reinstalling the ram air duct, but they're not going to affect low rpm / speed running.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
juniorsgixxer

well the guy i got it from changed the fairings to carbon fiber and he lost the air ducts...ive already ordered some though some im good on that...but if i give it full throttle below 5k it doesnt sputter....only if im cruising below 5k at a steady pace it sputters a little....but when i hit it, the power is there though...
Old 08-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
juniorsgixxer

as far s F.I. codes..there are no lights if thats what you mean? i dont know what to look for...im new to the fuel injection so i dont know too much about it yet...my previous bikes were carbed bikes..
Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
juniorsgixxer

btw the bike is BONE STOCK, never modded...
Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
juniorsgixxer

went to crank it today and now it wont stay idling...almost sounds like a v-twin when trying to idle...so i took it aroung the block and it feels sluggish like its running on 3 cylinders and it feels like the 4th kicks in every now and then like it wants to go..it sounds like a v-twin when in low rpm range...think its the plugs? need help...i wanna ride!! lol
Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorsgixxer View Post
went to crank it today and now it wont stay idling...almost sounds like a v-twin when trying to idle...so i took it aroung the block and it feels sluggish like its running on 3 cylinders and it feels like the 4th kicks in every now and then like it wants to go..it sounds like a v-twin when in low rpm range...think its the plugs? need help...i wanna ride!! lol
So NO FI light on? Its definetly a fuel injection system problem, not ignition.... Here is a list of things that could cause crappy running at part throttle.....

1) Vacuum Leaks
2) Map sensor malfunction... ***
3) IAT sensor...(not likely though)
4) Clogged fuel filter/injectors screens(has the bike been sitting a long time?)
5) TPS sensor(malfunction or incorrect adjustment)

Any of these could cause a bad running at low speed issues BUT, they won't likely be causing a drop in cylinders running. If you are truly losing cylinders, you are either losing ignition from the plugs/coils or an injector is not firing for some reason or another. An ECM swap may even be in order for testing.

Watch for the FI light to come on. If it does, find the dealer plug under the tail section and jump it with a paper clip. If the FI light comes on, it will throw a code on the dash, get that code and report back here....Its likely going to be a -C23 which is an ignition/coil miss or failure.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

what side of town you on Junior?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
I'm gonna go with bad gas for 100 Alex...

I'd try some Sea Foam first, then start looking around after a few gallons of that stuff gets through the system

Then, I'd look at the battery connections, if that's tight, I'd have to say it's time to be more in-depth with diagnostics and haul it up to Motorcycles Unlimited to be evaluated.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
juniorsgixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchBox View Post
what side of town you on Junior?
45nrankin rd...
Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
juniorsgixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
So NO FI light on? Its definetly a fuel injection system problem, not ignition.... Here is a list of things that could cause crappy running at part throttle.....

1) Vacuum Leaks
2) Map sensor malfunction... ***
3) IAT sensor...(not likely though)
4) Clogged fuel filter/injectors screens(has the bike been sitting a long time?)
5) TPS sensor(malfunction or incorrect adjustment)

Any of these could cause a bad running at low speed issues BUT, they won't likely be causing a drop in cylinders running. If you are truly losing cylinders, you are either losing ignition from the plugs/coils or an injector is not firing for some reason or another. An ECM swap may even be in order for testing.

Watch for the FI light to come on. If it does, find the dealer plug under the tail section and jump it with a paper clip. If the FI light comes on, it will throw a code on the dash, get that code and report back here....Its likely going to be a -C23 which is an ignition/coil miss or failure.
where is the fuel filter located? yeah the bike did sit for a while before i got it, but it was running ok when i got it...fuel filter might be a possibility..im going to go get some plugs and maybe some injector cleaner and a fuel filter and see what happens...i would take it up to M.U. but i dont have a truck, so ill replace the plugs and fuel filter and see what happens
Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I'm gonna go with bad gas for 100 Alex...

I'd try some Sea Foam first, then start looking around after a few gallons of that stuff gets through the system

Then, I'd look at the battery connections, if that's tight, I'd have to say it's time to be more in-depth with diagnostics and haul it up to Motorcycles Unlimited to be evaluated.
Gallons Tom?
I agree it could be bad gas. If you are going to throw some seafoam in there, read the directions on the back of the can. I think it is something like 1oz per gallon of gasoline.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
where is the fuel filter located? yeah the bike did sit for a while before i got it, but it was running ok when i got it...fuel filter might be a possibility..im going to go get some plugs and maybe some injector cleaner and a fuel filter and see what happens...i would take it up to M.U. but i dont have a truck, so ill replace the plugs and fuel filter and see what happens
The filter is in the tank, it unbolts form the fuel pump assy..
How many miles are on the bike?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchBox View Post
Gallons Tom?
I agree it could be bad gas. If you are going to throw some seafoam in there, read the directions on the back of the can. I think it is something like 1oz per gallon of gasoline.
Not gallons of Sea Foam... gallons of gasoline after Sea Foam. I guess I should have specified?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
juniorsgixxer

91XX miles on the bike...just pick up some new plugs and see how it turns out, ill keep you guys posted..thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
juniorsgixxer

well ill be damned! it turn out to be the plugs...i dont think the guy before me ever changed them...one plug looked to be fouled out (gas on it) and just looked to be old and worn in general...idles smooth right at about 1100 rpms with no sputtering...about to take it up to M.U. to get it looked over...thanks guys
Old 08-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #19
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
Why would you not have the ram air ducts in it? Thats not the problem though. Could be many things. Do you have a Power Commander on the bike? if so, try taking it off. A fresh set of plugs never hurts. Odds are, its a fuel supply problem down low....either caused by incorrect mapping, TPS sensor going awol, could be a lot of stuff. Does it do it at steady cruise or just accelerating through the low range?? Does it do it when wide open under 5000 or just part throttle?

More info needed.
Always check the plugs first....even if they aren't the problem, they can give you clues as to what is.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #20
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage