MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #41
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Great post.

Labareboy, would you race the 1000? Or get a 600 or vtwin? Whats your plan little man? I've been considering getting a CMRA license as well. Not sure if I would try and ride the R1 or get a 600.

Where would I find the lap times from the races? I want to compare the 600s to the liter bikes. Sorry to thread jack but I'm sure Jason wouldn't mind seeing that either.

All good information here
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSR-H L. Meyers vs. MaxGs Data Acquisition maxgs Taking it to the Track 41 03-25-2009 07:26 PM
Who has had instruction w/ T. Howard or L. Meyers Brian f. Taking it to the Track 41 02-12-2009 11:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #42
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
Great post.

Labareboy, would you race the 1000? Or get a 600 or vtwin? Whats your plan little man? I've been considering getting a CMRA license as well. Not sure if I would try and ride the R1 or get a 600.

Where would I find the lap times from the races? I want to compare the 600s to the liter bikes. Sorry to thread jack but I'm sure Jason wouldn't mind seeing that either.

All good information here
http://www.cmraracing.com/results.asp
Old 08-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #43
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Old 08-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #44
cdill35

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Guess I'll chime in, FWIW.

I did not go through LSTD for my license. I took Larry's class. Obviously, having never done the CMRA class with LSTD, I can not speak on that...I can only share my personal experience.

I didnt feel like corner working, right or wrong...I didnt want to do it. I didn't really care about the jersey and not crashing for 2 race weekends or whatever. But the main kicker was finding a day, that LSTD had an event and trying to get it in my schedule. I wanted to race world, in April, and LSTD only had 4 dates on their schedule, prior to that and only 13 dates on the schedule for the year in which about 1/2 of them were Fridays. I have a job that gives me 8 days vaction, per year. I have to use them wisely.

I was at one of Bucks days, Larry was there and I said WTH, and did it.

I felt ok because I had raced, on a national level, on dirt, as a teenanger. I understood, generally speaking, the ins and outs of racing.

Given the option again, I would do what was most convenient for my life and my life only.

I dont know about all the "being a part of the club" or this imagined "respect" that is out there for people that do it through the CMRA licensing program, via LSTD. The way I figure is I pay my entry fees, I pay my corner worker fees, I buy CMRA loot, I support track side vendors, I encourage people to take it to the track, and even further...to the races. IOne would think that would be enough to earn respect and be a part of the club. The rest I earn on the track..or at least try to. I have no idea what this "club" and "respect" stuff is about. I guess if Iwanna go big time and dont want to step on any toes on the way up, then maybe I should have reconsidered my route. Didnt realize it was so bad.

But I am over 35 now...no grand aspirations..not looking for a club or respect...I just wanted to do one more thing in my life...and that was road race. I'm glad that the CMRA is here in Texas. Hopefully the $1000.00 a weekend I spend, racing with them, is enough to get the respect of the people that matter...which is probably the BOD or whomever handles the fincances and wants to see the club survive.

PS- Dont klnow anything about how or why Ridesmart "failed" in the eyes of the CMRA...I wasn't around then. I heard something about an election or nominations or something at the last race I was at...maybe something will change. If not...o well. You can go thru LSTD or Larry.

But finally, I'll wager this...if there was more than 1 organization handling the licensing I'd think that the CMRA would get less people using other routes to get their license.

Just my humble noob slow .02.

Last edited by cdill35; 08-25-2009 at 04:41 PM.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #45
launchpad199

by the way tom LSTD charges 75$ for the school, but i will do one better 50$ for the upcomming LMS event at MSRH on the 29th.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #46
MacMan
S. McNamara LSTD Mob Boss

Bike(s):
2006 KTM950SM, 1996 Harley-Davidson FXDL

CDill35,

Ask Ty how many CMRA school classes he taught when the CMRA allowed Ride Smart one year of licensing? He came to the open BOD meeting at the end of 2004 and his wish was granted. I can answer for you NONE.
There were events that year/2005 that people signed up to take the CMRA school at a Ride Smart event and no-one was there to teach it. Not good.....
The logistics of having 2 schools was a problem for the club and LSTD was given the eclusive rights just like before 2005 with regards to licensing. This decision was made in 2006.

I petitioned the CMRA in 2003 to allow LSTD to perform the licensing school.
At the time the CMRA held the class on Saturday morning. The student got 15minutes of track time along with one hour of class room. I put together a business proposal and the club accepted it. I was on the BOD in 2004-2005 and again for 2009-2010. Exclusive vendor agreements work in many other businesses and for the last 3 years have worked well for the club. We donate the proceeds from the school fee we charge to the CMRA.
We have donated tens thousands of dollars with our program and made the process easy for the club and future racers.
Do you think people don't come and get their racing license because of the vendor? Will Ride Smart teaching the program bring in more racers than the way the program is handled now?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #47
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Do you think people don't come and get their racing license because of the vendor? Will Ride Smart teaching the program bring in more racers than the way the program is handled now?
No...I don't think people don't get their license because of the vendor at all.

More options means less excuses.

Quote:
Friday February 20th. Oak Hill Raceway *

Friday March 13th. Eagle's Canyon Raceway *

Sunday March 22nd. MSR-Cresson (counter-clockwise)

Sunday April 5th. Texas World Speedway
^^ those were my options if I wanted to race TWS (Texas World Speedway). 2 fridays, 1 sunday in Dallas and 1 sunday in College Station. I couldnt make any of them. LMS was right down the street.

I'm just throwing another angle out there, obviously if someone wanted their license bad enough, they'd make arrangements...but some need that added convenience.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #48
kingralphthe3rd
larry's fan club manager

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 1K (SOLD!!) 08 GSXR 750 & 07 DIZZER 400, 09 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Actually you can go through Larry and get your CCS license. Then you can take that license and get your CMRA license. It cost more money because you have to pay the licensing fee for both clubs instead of one, but you can also skip the prov nov stuff and corner working for a race weekend.

Not saying this is right, better or whatever...just saying that you can get your CMRA license by other means.

So..I think Larry is working with BUck.

It would be..

Bucks Day - 190.00
Larry's Class - 75.00
CCS license - 130.00
CMRA License - 135.00 ( I think)

or...

LSTD Day 150.00
Race Class 80.00
CMRA License 135.00 (i think)
Prov nov jersey for 2 race weekends
Corner work for 2 race weekends.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #49
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchpad199 View Post
by the way tom LSTD charges 75$ for the school, but i will do one better 50$ for the upcomming LMS event at MSRH on the 29th.
That's awesome Lunchpad, but you're wrong, LSTD doesn't "charge" anything, the CMRA does As Macman said, LSTD donates thousands of dollars to the racing community, we provide this licensing service for free

Like I said, I don't care how folks get their licenses and what their personal reasons are.

Brandt, it's not a "club" like being part of a clique, the CMRA is a "club", that's what they're talking about.

Personally, I think the corner working duties are worth while and good training, but that's me.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #50
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
IMHO the club is...just that a club. You have to pay your dues to get in and play. Part of those dues is cornerworking for your fellow racers and racing two races without wrecking. To me the racing part is a wash. I actually liked wearing my yellow shirt and still have it to this day. The cornerworking is a service that the CMRA would otherwise have to pay someone to do. It is the member's support that drives the club and what makes it so good......so in short.... do your part. I did it, Ty Howard had to do it..... most every racer had to do it. What makes it any different for anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
i agree, paying your dues is a part of being in a great club. cornerworking isn't that bad, plus you can still race. it's actually fun to cornerwork some days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
I am in the process of completing my prov-nov requirements, as a matter of fact I will be corner working Cresson on Sat. and racing on Sunday. I think it is all part of paying your dues and quite frankly I don't mind it at all.
You have to be careful if you wait too long from the date you get your prov-nov license from LSTD to the date you do corner working or Alan / Barry will put you on the "no race" list and you have to corner work before you will be allowed to race again. They are pretty cool about it but just make sure you get it done in the same 12 month period you took your LSTD class. I am not certain but if you took the CMRA class in 2009 and then didn't complete your corner working and other prov-nov requirements in the 2009 season you would have to re-take everything for 2010. Tom / Steve is that a true statement?

I would personally take the class with LSTD, they know there stuff and have been around racing for some time. Don't try and get around the corner working, etc etc that would be a waste of time and you would lose some respect IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Brandt, it's not a "club" like being part of a clique, the CMRA is a "club", that's what they're talking about.

I know. I am talking about the reference to it being a "club" and not a club.

But lemme get outta here, yall are all my boys...I think....I was just throwing another view since this thread, thus far, was weighted a bit heavily one sided. Which, I truly do not disagree with.

It was the lack of dates, prior to TWS (Texas World Speedway), that was more my issue. So..I guess add more dates, or alow other orgs to do it then I probaly wouldnt have went through Larry. I dunno.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #51
TrevorC

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

I'd go with the buck/larry combo imo, cwing sucks out in 110*F weather,

plus if you do it be sure to bring some excedrin migrane cause the bikes passing you for 8 hours all day while sitting there will surely give you one.
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #52
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

How about those Cowboy's?
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #53
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Guess I'll chime in, FWIW.

I did not go through LSTD for my license. I took Larry's class. Obviously, having never done the CMRA class with LSTD, I can not speak on that...I can only share my personal experience.

I didnt feel like corner working, right or wrong...I didnt want to do it. I didn't really care about the jersey and not crashing for 2 race weekends or whatever. But the main kicker was finding a day, that LSTD had an event and trying to get it in my schedule. I wanted to race world, in April, and LSTD only had 4 dates on their schedule, prior to that and only 13 dates on the schedule for the year in which about 1/2 of them were Fridays. I have a job that gives me 8 days vaction, per year. I have to use them wisely.

I was at one of Bucks days, Larry was there and I said WTH, and did it.

I felt ok because I had raced, on a national level, on dirt, as a teenanger. I understood, generally speaking, the ins and outs of racing.

Given the option again, I would do what was most convenient for my life and my life only.

I dont know about all the "being a part of the club" or this imagined "respect" that is out there for people that do it through the CMRA licensing program, via LSTD. The way I figure is I pay my entry fees, I pay my corner worker fees, I buy CMRA loot, I support track side vendors, I encourage people to take it to the track, and even further...to the races. IOne would think that would be enough to earn respect and be a part of the club. The rest I earn on the track..or at least try to. I have no idea what this "club" and "respect" stuff is about. I guess if Iwanna go big time and dont want to step on any toes on the way up, then maybe I should have reconsidered my route. Didnt realize it was so bad.

But I am over 35 now...no grand aspirations..not looking for a club or respect...I just wanted to do one more thing in my life...and that was road race. I'm glad that the CMRA is here in Texas. Hopefully the $1000.00 a weekend I spend, racing with them, is enough to get the respect of the people that matter...which is probably the BOD or whomever handles the fincances and wants to see the club survive.

PS- Dont klnow anything about how or why Ridesmart "failed" in the eyes of the CMRA...I wasn't around then. I heard something about an election or nominations or something at the last race I was at...maybe something will change. If not...o well. You can go thru LSTD or Larry.

But finally, I'll wager this...if there was more than 1 organization handling the licensing I'd think that the CMRA would get less people using other routes to get their license.

Just my humble noob slow .02.
There is no right way or wrong way. If there are options, take the one that works for you. Corner working experience is a bonus to racing experience. The prov nov shirt is only to alert the other riders and club knows that you are new. You get respect for whooping and taking names on the track.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #54
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchpad199 View Post
Sweet I'll do this route for $50. I'll earn my respect on the track. Besides other racers don't know anyway how you got your license or probably even care. I will miss the t-shirt Prov. Nov. status though.
I think it's assume LSTD does the CMRA license they just have not fit my schedule in the last 2 yrs and with only two races a year at TWS (Texas World Speedway) I'll have more traveling expenses to incure just to get through the CW requirements to race. I don't plan on running ever CMRA race there is each year or be the number one guy on the track. Getting to old for that. I just want to race a few times a year while I'm still able to fullfill that life long dream of mine along with the trackdays I already do. So CCS route fits my schedule alot better. See ya Sept. 26th. Me an two of my buddies will be getting the license at the same time. Plus I'd like to race Daytona and Barber so I'll keep my CCS license to. Thanks for this post, now I know my options. Would of done this a 2 years ago if I had known I could make the switch to CMRA like this.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #55
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
I think it's assume LSTD does the CMRA license they just have not fit my schedule in the last 2 yrs and with only two races a year at TWS (Texas World Speedway) I'll have more traveling expenses to incure just to get through the CW requirements to race.
You can take the class at ANY LSTD event, not just race weekends We had a lot more events at TWS (Texas World Speedway) scheduled than two...
Old 08-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #56
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

yeah I was just talking about the CW part. Yeah I see you guys had alot of TWS (Texas World Speedway) events this year. I wanted to do my CW and Prov. Nov races at a local spot like TWS (Texas World Speedway) to save on trvel expensence and hotel cost for the whole weekend. TWS (Texas World Speedway) I have family there I can stay with. I wish CMRA raced at MSRH other then that one time. Love that track. Thanks
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote